Motion vs Graphics

This topic is locked from further discussion.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Probably the animation quality, if I'm understanding the question right. I would rather have the graphics take a bit of a hit and keep the characters moving smoothly.
gangstaa9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 gangstaa9
Member since 2007 • 258 Posts

Physics by far.

Graphics are overrated I can have more fun with a link to the past the I can with most next gen games.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

The physics and animation as well as lighting and shadowsare definitely more important. These are the elements that make a game look and feel real.

Debus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Debus42
Member since 2010 • 120 Posts

I've never been all that much of a graphic whore, hell, I love sprites more than some of the flashy animation out at the moment, so definitely physics for me. No one likes a clunky game, no matter how pretty it is.

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts
Why cant we have both? Look at Uncharted 2.
NinjaSnowmans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 NinjaSnowmans
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Both is cool, I guess, but graphics mean virtually nothing to me.
MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

Depends on how vivid your imigination is. The animation mimics reallity and your imagination draws you into the game. Pretty soon it's not a poorly modeled trash can, it's what a trash can looks like in that world.

I guess it all depends on what the visuals do for the player. Do you see what it is OR do you see what it represents?

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
I'll go with graphics. Since animations and such are mainly noticed in the cutscenes, not in the real play, I could focus more on the game's visuals as an whole.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 muthsera666
I'll go with graphics. Since animations and such are mainly noticed in the cutscenes, not in the real play, I could focus more on the game's visuals as an whole.Crimsader
Only in the cutscenes? Not during combat, or traveling the game world or anything else.
pankaj_31085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pankaj_31085
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts

Final thing is.. you just get what they are trying to show and feel you... That's it

mystic_river

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mystic_river
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

motion wins, flawless victory

xxxDirtyJoexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 xxxDirtyJoexxx
Member since 2009 • 559 Posts

Both are equally important.

If you want to see a game that has realistic animation/physics and "crude" graphics/visuals, try playing Ship Simulator 2008 or any other simulation game.

And games that have only visuals are click and pick puzzle games.

Its like saying that CPU is more important than GPU or reverse, to have a great PC both of them have to be top of the line.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
[QUOTE="Crimsader"]I'll go with graphics. Since animations and such are mainly noticed in the cutscenes, not in the real play, I could focus more on the game's visuals as an whole.muthsera666
Only in the cutscenes? Not during combat, or traveling the game world or anything else.

There are of course, but I don't really notice them in the middle of a combat. They just don't attract your attention in-game.
Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
I'm not going to dive into the physics, animation, and all that. Those are expected in next-gen videogames. TC is asking a simple question. Graphics or motion controls. Screw motion. It's more of an option, graphics any day of the week.
Avatar image for noob-saibot2010
noob-saibot2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 noob-saibot2010
Member since 2010 • 246 Posts
i think both will be great.
gamerfan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamerfan85
Member since 2009 • 652 Posts

I think motion is generally more important because graphics seem to be plateauing. Graphical juggernaut games like Gears and Dead Space get really good physics going with limb detection and all.

Games like MGS: Peace Walker (PSP for comparison) show somewhat dated graphics but amazing fluidity due to finally-catching-up handheld technology. Something might need to blow me away on my TV, but on a portable system I just want it to be smooth and most games are today.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 muthsera666
[QUOTE="muthsera666"][QUOTE="Crimsader"]I'll go with graphics. Since animations and such are mainly noticed in the cutscenes, not in the real play, I could focus more on the game's visuals as an whole.Crimsader

There are of course, but I don't really notice them in the middle of a combat. They just don't attract your attention in-game.

That's kind of the point. You don't really notice smooth animation. You notice when it's not smooth. It breaks you out of the game. The animation is important for immersion in the game. While the graphics are important, they don't break the gameflow like poor animation does.