Motion Sickness when playing certain games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FancyRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FancyRaptor
Member since 2011 • 110 Posts

Every time I play Morrowind for Xbox I get really disoriented and my head feels a bit...off, then, usually the next day, I'll be plagued by a headache that will last for hours and then just disappear. The 'off' feeling is hard to describe, but it's almost like the way you feel right before you get it with a massive migraine. Anyway, I'm trying to find a way to get past this because I've always wanted to fully play Morrowind but I can't because of the way it makes me feel after a short amount of time.

Only other game that makes me feel this way is Metroid Prime for the gamecube, only in that game it starts to affect me after 5 minutes unlike Morrowind, which generally takes a half hour before this motion sickness hits me.

If anyone has any suggestions of how I can get past this that would be great...I mean, I've heard First-Person games can do this to people but I can play most FPS games without any trouble, only these two cause issues with me...so I'm not sure what to do.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
I can't pin-point your issue but my girlfriend get motion sickness if she watches me play first person games. I'm assuming it's a combination of the first person FOV and any particular graphical effects going on the screen that the game may have.
kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

I've never had that feeling

RaIn285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 RaIn285
Member since 2010 • 3010 Posts

I actually have the very same feeling sometimes.I think one of the game manuals I have said that this is one of the symptoms for epilepsy.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#5 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

some of the early FPS games give me that kind of motion sickness.

though it seems to be related to frame rate, when I played Wolf3D on a PC when it was new, it wasn't super fast and I felt less motion sickness than I did when I played the PS3 version (which ran too fast)

FancyRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FancyRaptor
Member since 2011 • 110 Posts

Interesting to see that I'm not alone with this issue. It's just figuring what is causing this; I've heard FOV can, slow/fast FPS can do it, and I've also heard the bobbing motion of a character walking in a first-person game can cause it as well. Hm, well I'll fiddle around with Morrowind's options and see if I can make anything out of it, thank you for the comments though, guys.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
One of those Lego Star Wars games when your flying the fighter thing, for some reason always makes me feel so sick.
Vaah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vaah
Member since 2006 • 177 Posts
I know the feeling. Mine was actually with Oblivion. It happened a few years ago, and is the reason why I've never finished that game. After moving around in game a bit, my head would feels like it's being pinch together. It did went away within a week.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

some of the early FPS games give me that kind of motion sickness.

though it seems to be related to frame rate, when I played Wolf3D on a PC when it was new, it wasn't super fast and I felt less motion sickness than I did when I played the PS3 version (which ran too fast)

Darkman2007
I remember a whole bunch of people having that issue with Marathon Durandal when it came to XBLA. The framerate was too high for some people and many were reporting vomiting inducing nausea.