Most overrated retro games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
[QUOTE="GulliversTravel"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

They're actually making a big comeback with touchscreens and DS.

Dudersaper
I recently played Heavy Rain and really, thats how they should be done. Even some of best P&C games when you play them have so much unnecessary padding.

As if moving your analog sstick for every action like to open fridge>take milk>drink milk>put milk back>close fridge isn't padding :P Just joking though, loved Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit. But I like the "traditional" point & click gameplay too.

LOL but at least those acts felt engaging. In most P&C games the padding feels like downtime.
Avatar image for Apathetic_Prick
Apathetic_Prick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202 Apathetic_Prick
Member since 2003 • 4789 Posts

[QUOTE="Apathetic_Prick"]

Metal Gear Solid 2 (aka Movie Gear Solid 2) - the game plays you far too much, and there's way too much emphasis on Kojima's pretensious assumptions of what tactical warfare and the relations between the participants should be.  The ending left me feeling frustrated and deflated, like the whole thing was completely pointless.

Jag85

MGS2 is probably the most hated game in the Metal Gear series... I'd hardly consider that "overrated".

By fans, yes.  Critically, however, it was very well received.  Most of them probably didn't get more than half-way through the game, though.  Heck, even then, it really didn't nosedive until the last hour-and-a-half, two hours.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="Apathetic_Prick"]

Metal Gear Solid 2 (aka Movie Gear Solid 2) - the game plays you far too much, and there's way too much emphasis on Kojima's pretensious assumptions of what tactical warfare and the relations between the participants should be.  The ending left me feeling frustrated and deflated, like the whole thing was completely pointless.

Apathetic_Prick

MGS2 is probably the most hated game in the Metal Gear series... I'd hardly consider that "overrated".

By fans, yes.  Critically, however, it was very well received.  Most of them probably didn't get more than half-way through the game, though.  Heck, even then, it really didn't nosedive until the last hour-and-a-half, two hours.

Wait, what? I thought MGS2 got better as it went along...
Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
[QUOTE="Apathetic_Prick"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"] MGS2 is probably the most hated game in the Metal Gear series... I'd hardly consider that "overrated".Heirren

Wait, what? I thought MGS2 got better as it went along...

Exactly amongst the fans its well respected, its MGS4 that gets the hatred these days and for the right reasons too.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#205 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19587 Posts

[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="Apathetic_Prick"]

Apathetic_Prick

Actually, most of the critics did play the game through to the end... And for once, I'd have to say the critics were right on this one. But among fans, MGS2 was the one that received the most hate... until MGS4 came along (although I still haven't finished that game yet).

Anyway, I can understand why some might say MGS2 is "overrated", considering how many fans today often refer to MGS2 as a postmodern piece of art (including myself, for that matter).

kickingcarpet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 kickingcarpet
Member since 2011 • 570 Posts
chrono trigger
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#207 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

chrono triggerkickingcarpet

What about it is overrated? The graphics of the SNES being used to it's fullest? The amazing soundtrack? The seamless transition from exploration to battles? The avoidable battles if needed (rather than forced random battles)? Or is it the awesome time-travel story that is far from you're average JRPG faire? Maybe the innovative combo-attack system?

I can't see how anyone would consider this game overrated. It's a JRPG masterpiece and really pushed the genre forward.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#208 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
Member since 2011 • 348 Posts

Metroid Prime. Played it and didn't really enjoy it all that much. It's a great game, but for me, it hasn't aged all that well. I do think it's a bit overrated, I do think there are better Metroid games than Prime. The controls feel a little klunky, and the game is too hard, methinks. I can see why someone else may like this game, but it isn't for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. MGS3 is most people's favorite game in the MGS series and in my case however, I've played MGS1 up to 3 and I can say that I have enjoyed each one OTHER THAN 3. I find that 3 had not aged well when I played it. For me, gameplay always trumps story in a game because if I can't enjoy playing a game, then the games have failed their purpose. The controls are klunky, backtracking is ridculous, and the formula is too repetitive. The game had decent graphics, a great story, and an excellent soundtrack, but it had shallow and repetitive gameplay.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

This tells me you haven't played those games and you hate those game series.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#211 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

This tells me you haven't played those games and you hate those game series.

GSJones1994

:?

Are you have an argument with yourself?

Avatar image for angryassdrummer
angryassdrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 angryassdrummer
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts

getting a bit confusing

some are just writing games they dont like, that doesnt mean they were/are over rated tho

id call something over rated that gets raved about yet doesnt seem anything that special

for me that would of been back in the day all the crash series

i remember thinking whats the big fuss all about??

also

mortal kombat

sonic

soul calibur

tekken

halo ( the whole series)

im not saying they sucked, im saying these games ( to me) seemed way over rated and over hyped compared to what they really offered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

No, there was a troll on here earlier.

PokeCrysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 PokeCrysis
Member since 2013 • 40 Posts
Hmmmmm... That is a tricky one but I would have to say; -Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island -EarthBound (Great game, but overrated) -Mega Man 7
spau0588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 spau0588
Member since 2013 • 59 Posts
Looks like you kept the bad games alive for however long they lasted.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#217 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Halo  /halflife , im sick of people telling me that they revelutionized fps and goldeneye didn't   plan and simple halo especailly    , how can any one say halo did 

cause if we look back , goldeneye had both a good single player and multiplayer mode duke nukem 64 also had an ok multiplayer mode for 64  as did turok 2 -up  as well as perfect dark and timesplitters 1 on ps2

all this before halo  , and you want vast lands? turok 1 was your answer  or hexen 

halo i dont think did anything remarkablly revolutionary . all it had was regenerated health and i find that just to be a way to make it to easy

even for a player like me who took ten years to beat goldeneye !Â