most games I find to be overhyped

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

I actually have played all these games too. Have a ps4. I used to game on pc and have owned a lot of different consoles. Ps4 is just what I went with this gen because I felt it was the best system for gaming. Most games have big budgets and great graphics, but as far as actual enjoyment and fun factor I find a lot of them to be pretty lacking.

Games that I enjoyed

Uncharted 4 - I felt like this game lived up to the hype. It kept me interested throughout and was fun to play. The story was good. It was basically 4 days of enjoyment though and more an experience and entertainment than a game though. Had some good gameplay as far as stealthy mixed with climbing and gunplay, puzzles and vehicles though which was fun. Great game though. I like that the story is more focused and the game still manages to feel open. It did feel a bit cliched though and like Naughty Dog was looking for their last pay day. Still amazing. Gameplay is a bit simplified and repetitive but still was fun. It was varied enough and well done.

Until Dawn - It was again enjoyable but more an interactive experrience. I also felt the characters were overly cliched. It was a couple days of enjoyment and no need to go back to do the different endings. I enjoyed it throughout though.

Funny thing is both these games were really rentals. Uncharted 4 you can really see all that went into it and it's worth $60 but is it? I don't really see any reason to go back. It has multiplayer though which does justify it somewhat

Overhyped

Witcher 3 - Amazing well crafted game. Not much of an rpg. The story was interesting, well crafted and different but I didn't find it all that engrossing. Way too much dialogue also had me skipping through a lot of it. Conversations in general take forever which really take away from the enjoyment factor. Some funny over the top parts and quirky characters but it just didn't really grab me. Combat is clunky and not that enjoyable. Beautiful game though. Varied missions and environments is impressive. The whole witcher sense thing and trend in games is a bit too whatever it is. Simplified??

Batman Arkham Knight - Again well crafted game with amazing graphics. I enjoyed the story in this one. The batmobile was frustrating. The game and world just did not seem to flow that well and the world itself did not feel that interactive. It felt similar to ubisoft games where there is side content and stuff to do but it's all not that interesting. Better than ubisoft though as far as quality by far. The combat is good and fluid but not that great. The puzzles are more frustrating than fun.

AC Syndicate - It's ubisoft. It's better than Unity but very cookie cutter. Some fun parts and traversal but the world itself feels unfinished unpolished and the game is not that fun. I like what they did with some of the historic stuff but the game is typical ubisoft. The stealth is ok but nothing that great.

GTA V - Again amazing well crafted game and attention to detail graphically. Fun missions and Rockstar adds a lot of things to do in a way that remains fun. Some of it more than others though. The world is alive. I am not a huge fan of the GTA universe though. You either like it or you don't. I'd rather something else. The side content also isn't that engrossing. Tons of extras and cars and ways to cater your experience but I don't know. It's a very good game. Not as enjoyable as people will lead you to believe though. The game itself also feels cartooney and cliched to me. I think it's very overrated that way. It tries to be over the top but ends up just feeling cartooney and cliched.

Watchdogs - Pretty well crafted for Ubisoft but very bland overall. The hacking and gameplay doesn't really all come together. Even worse than Syndicate as far as just stuff thrown around the map as side content to make it seem like more of a game than it is. More of a chore than game stuff. The story was ok. I prefer the w orld to GTA but again it's very cookie cutter. Still very cliche.

Shadow of Mordor - I found this game very overhyped and not worth game of the year. It had some batman type combat mixed with the nemesis system which was overhyped and that was basically it. The world itself and missions were very action oriented and bland.

Infamous Second Son - good game. Story mixed with action and good power levelling tree. World was not that interactive. The stuff to do was fun but not that great. Good graphics.

Free Indies and PSN plus games and Demos - Most are just filler and worth playing for a few seconds and not going back. I've played most of them. Some are better than others but really nothing more than filler.

Sports games - Madden, NBA 2k, MLB The Show I play. They are the same every year. Well crafted but the same every year. Not that enjoyable. MlB the show is probably the best one and very realistic and well made, but it's actually not that enjoyable to play.

These are all major releases and there isn't that much more to choose from either. It's the big titles. I don't play platformers or Anime titles that much. Also don't play darksouls. I know what it is. I have played Demons souls. I'd probably feel the same way.

This month we are getting overwatch. Another shooter that is going to be overhyped. It's basically strictly a multiplayer shooter. Doom just game out which I already know what it is. I've played the destiny beta etc. I was not that impressed. There is a lack of racing games. I was thinking of picking up Dirt Rally but I don't know. I'm looking forward to Mafia III that's about it.

What I'd like are games that feel more like games without the cumbersome and overly simplfied stuff that some of these games bring. Somehow these developers manage to do both without striking a middle ground. I remember Sierra games where you had to go to different locals to unlock different things and go back and forth between them. I feel like that would work in an open world with action and puzzle solving elements while also keeping the story focused with good side content and a working economy. I just don't see developers doing it.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Celtic_34

With the budgets these games have they should be rated at how enjoyable they actually are imo. Great graphics doesn't make a great game. Good fluid mechanics doesn't mean good design or development. The whole witcher sense thing is kind of that to me. Batmans combat is fluid and well made but the same thing in ways. It's way overly simplified. There should be separate factors as far as technical stuff and actual design and fun factor. These games technically are good but fun factor isn't subjective either. Doing the same things over and over is not that fun.

I'd probably rate these games as so as far as number values.

uncharted 4 - 8 or 9

Until Dawn - 7.5

Witcher 3 - 8

Batman Arkham Knight - 7.5

AC Syndicate - 6

Watchdogs - 6.5

MLb The Show - 8.5

NBA 2k - 8

Madden - 7

Shadow or Mordor - 6.5

Infamous SEcond Son - 7

GTA V - 8 or 9

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I rarely find games to be "overhyped" because I don't get myself overly excited for most games. I go in with realistic expectations and generally turn out happy with most games I play.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Celtic_34

I'm realistically saying what these games are. I don't buy hype either. I think people are silly assuming things about people though to justify their own selves. It just shows their own bias.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

So let me get this straight

You have poor taste in games and because of that poor taste you feel everyone is out to get you.

Well that's certainly a way to spice up a day.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Celtic_34

@Jaysonguy said:

So let me get this straight

You have poor taste in games and because of that poor taste you feel everyone is out to get you.

Well that's certainly a way to spice up a day.

That's not what I said at all. Funny people think that though. You just said it.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7  Edited By Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

You expect from games to shock your world? i think PS4 currently have a very good games library to offer, and more to come, maybe try some From Software's stuff...(Souls, Bloodborne) they are more complex, mature and profound games, you might like it.

Uncharted 4 - "It was basically 4 days of enjoyment".

"Until Dawn" - It was a couple days of enjoyment".

this is the purpose mate...it's just a video game.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Celtic_34

I don't expect games to shock my world at all. I expect them to be good and fun. You are more concerned with hyping up these games than I am. You have it backwards. I realize they are games.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nirogol

@Celtic_34 said:

I don't expect games to shock my world at all. I expect them to be good. The media is more concerned with hyping up these games than I am. You have it backwards. I realize they are just games.

So much topics opened about the overhyped games industry, it's all about money, games should be sold. i see that there is couple of games you've enjoyed and it's very good, it's not that every game should amaze you. bottom line i'm agree with you, there a lot of hype for nothing sometimes...but again there's a lot of good games to play.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Celtic_34

yes because the media is more concerned with hyping up these games than them actually being fun. Gamespot is a commercial website. I made this comment the other day actually and didn't even mean it how they thought. I just made a post that reviews shoudl be more geared towards how fun they are vs technical stuff and was met with whatever it it was. I made a comment because i just thought it was interesting gamespot only listed metacritic reviews on their site and asked a question. They submit reviews to them and so do most commercial websites. By definition that is what gamespot is. They are also an entertainment site and i can see that. Didn't even mean it like gamespot thought and was told i was making false accusations which was a bit odd. I was actually not saying what they think at all. Any person would be able to realize gamespot is a commercial site. Denying it and saying i'm making false accusations is absurd when I wasn't even doing that over here and they have no clue how i even saw that. Putting words in someones mouth is wrong too. I know what I actually said. It was a statement adn just an honest one from looking at this site. By definition gamespot is a commercial website. I was actually trying to improve somethign and meant well. I was just saying there are people out there who just play these games for fun. I just like to come on the internet and say what I like and dislike about games and talk about how they can improve and the amount of assumptions out there is absurd.

I was told I was making false accusations when that's absurd. They didn't even know what I was saying. I can like and dislike certain things about games. I even said it was just a statement which can have varying meanings. But no. Gamespot says I was saying something else.

I can realize gamespot is an entertainment website. If gamespot doesn't know they are also a commercial one and wants to accuse people of stuff they didn't even say that's them.

I did not imply anything that they said I meant. I was actually just talking about how games should be reviewed more for fun factor vs just technical hype and the assumptions people make. Also always find it interesting how metacritic the user reviews are always 0's and 10's and the stuff people assume.

These are just games. I'd rather be objective. People who play them obviously have varying viewpoints. Tone of voice is lost over the internet. But it's quite funny the stuff people assume.

People who play these games obviously have different views than critics as well. And to them apparently they aren't just games when gamers are giving them 10's and 0's on metacritic. No one is objective. I'm this that and this just because I told the truth.

That stuff is absurd and you have no idea how I see it.

I actually meant well in what I was trying to say. I was just saying these reviews could be less about technical stuff and hype and more about how fun they are. The stuff people assume is also absurd.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nirogol

@Celtic_34 said:

yes because the media is more concerned with hyping up these games than them actually being fun.

It's also about movies, music, phones, cars, clothing, welcome to 2016...it's all about marketing.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#12 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

I realize most hyped games like GTAV, Uncharted 4, Witchers 3, Batman etc are very very boring to me ... and they are all open world type games which I guess I hate. Same last gen, I gave up to the hype of Bioshock Infinite and found it very lacking in everything.

So I won't play any open world game for a while.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13  Edited By csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

I have to agree with you on most of your list (you can add Fallout 4 to the over hyped if you want), however, if you play a lot of video games, your bar for what impresses you is much higher than the average consumer. I find as I play more and more games that many of the 8,9, or even 10 games don't impress me the same way it does the reviews, even if I can appreciate the production values that went into the game.

Compared to movies game scores seems to creep higher on average for some reason. I think many critics are scared of giving more realistic scores for fear of backlash from advertisers or gamers that want to be told to go buy the game and not the truth. That's why I'm glad there are so many reviews out there. You can find at least one person that thinks like you do to know if you'll enjoy a game or not.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I found at least half of your list extremely enjoyable, which is saying something because I normally find GTA extremely overrated. It's likely you just don't have much of a taste for open-world games, which is fine. I absolutely love them.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#15 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Yeah, I find most games that get heavily advertised to not be worth the hype. That being said, I still enjoy a lot of them. For instance, Shadow of Mordor was a lot of fun. Not GOTY material and the 360 version was riddled with pop ins and other technical glitches, but the game was a lot of fun I thought.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Celtic_34

@mastermetal777 said:

I found at least half of your list extremely enjoyable, which is saying something because I normally find GTA extremely overrated. It's likely you just don't have much of a taste for open-world games, which is fine. I absolutely love them.

I still gave them good scores and mini reviews if you read them. GTA V I gave a great one. Not a 10. 8 or 9 is great.

I just find it interesting that there is much more polarizing view from gamers in general when Uncharted 4 gets like 800 10's and 400 0's and like 15 people actually reviewed it objectively or as anything other than that. The user average also tends to be lower compared to most "critics" who tend to give big releases big scores on average and don't review them objectively themselves. Yes it's better for business to hype up these games. Look up what commercial bias is.

But according to gamespot I'm this that this that and this when they don't even know what I was saying and was suspended when these are just games.... When I know in person they'd look absurd doing that to me. I just like to come on the internet and say what I like and dont like about certain games and the stuff I run into and the stuff people assume is ridiculous. Especially when I don't like something. These are just games. Why am I getting suspended. I get it was just silly and probably nothing meant by it but again if Gamespot wants to accuse me of things I didn't even say and doesn't realize they are a commercial site I don't know what to say to that. It was a statement. I even said that and was then told I was this that and doing this that and this which is not what I did. Yes they are an entertainment website. They are also a commercial one by definition. Never said that was a bad thing. the topics I made were also not the same. They were all different with different words in different sections of the site for the reasons I said. I made a post about fun factor vs how good a game is technically in reviews. And 2 subsequent ones which were different and I asked a question.

All gamespot did was prove a point I wasn't even trying to make without even realizing it. Because I wasn't saying anything they thought i was. They told me I needed to cool down when I more think it was the other way around for good reason because I didn't need to cool down. they totally had no clue what I even said.

More just trying to improve things vs giving 10's to games that don't do everything perfectly. That doesn't really allow other development to occur is all I'm saying. In fairness Gamespot did pan some big releases somewhat like Arkham Knight and Destiny.

It would be great if people focused more on what these games do right and wrong. It would be better for the industry in general imo and allow for failures to occur and for developers to get their just due. Obviously there are polarizing views of these games. There is nothing implied there other than that. That would make way too much sense though.

GTA V is a great game but there are other ways to do things. I'll say what I want. I'm not the person victimizing people either.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Get a 3DS or at least stop playing so many bro games. Try something like Disgaea 5 or Digimon on PS4.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

I've played many games on that list and I haven't found any to be overhyped. I found them very enjoyable to play myself.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

I'm realistically saying what these games are. I don't buy hype either. I think people are silly assuming things about people though to justify their own selves. It just shows their own bias.

I guess this was supposed to be a response to what I said. All I was saying is that hype is something you create for yourself. If you found something to be overhyped then that means you expected it to be more what it turned out to be, at least in your view. Of course trailers and whatnot are going to make the game look as fun and exciting as possible. That's what marketing is. Every company tries to "hype" their game as much as possible.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Celtic_34

@SoNin360 said:
@Celtic_34 said:

I guess this was supposed to be a response to what I said. All I was saying is that hype is something you create for yourself. If you found something to be overhyped then that means you expected it to be more what it turned out to be, at least in your view. Of course trailers and whatnot are going to make the game look as fun and exciting as possible. That's what marketing is. Every company tries to "hype" their game as much as possible.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying they are overhyped by people. The fact i can't go on the internet and say what I like and dislike about games and the stuff people say to me is that. It's not true. Overhyped. I am not the person overhyping them. People like to victimize people too and lie to them.

Yeah that's it dude. I'm just some gullible person here who is buying hype. I wonder if people like you even listen to what you say and how disrespectful that is.

Keep living your delusion though. You don't even understand what hype is and why it's an issue. I've heard people like you for years.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#21 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

I find this topic of overhyped games questionable each time I see it. Most the games you listed didn't even have big marketing campaigns. Shadow of Mordor had very little advertising, and was mostly spread due to its impressive e3 showing and being reasonably well received after release.

For the record I'm not really a fan of any of the games you mention, however as Witcher 3 and GTAV are concerned, if you like sandbox games? You could definitely do worse than those two.

Seems to me you just have a required taste.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Celtic_34

That people can read? I gave the witcher 3 an 8 lol. I gave Uncharted and GTA V the same rating too which was good. I was more talking about the hype surrounding them in general. Yeah some were hyped more than others. Yeah those are my tastes but these games are overhyped in general.

I'm not saying they aren't good games. I'm saying they are overhyped which takes away from other ways to do things.

gTA V is a good game. It's overhyped though.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Celtic_34

So is Uncharted for that matter. I was just saying I enjoyed that one more and felt it lived up to it for me. you are right there.

I think I've played maybe 10-15 games this gen. Most of the big titles are all very similar in their design. I've bought 70 percent of them and rented the other 3rd. I feel like about 4 are so of them are actually about as good as they were hyped up to be. I didn't buy the hype. I knew what i was buying. That's just what I think. I've had a ps4 since launch which if you average it out is about 3-4 games a year.

I think I've played maybe 3-4 games I really felt were that good. Some of them were well done technically. They are all kind of similar though. Use similar design choices etc. Some are more well done than others. Some do different things.

Most big budget releases all use similar design choices. My original point was that games should take into account fun factor as something that isn't necessarily subjective vs just what a game is technically on release. The fact these games are all kind of similar is not subjective.

I just find it interesting when user reviews are like 10's and 0's over at metacritic and most critics are advertising these games. That is polarizing. And I say gamespot is a commercial site just as a statement and am told i'm this that and this. When no one could have a mature discussion about what I was actually saying. All I got was nope and that i made the same thread 3 times when it was 3 diferent threads saying different things when the mod here didn't even read what I actually said or answer my question. I feel like responding nope and you are a liar though because i didn't even say what they think i said.

That is hype in action. It's pandering to a certain audience. When 800 people give uncharted 4 a 10. And the other 400 give it 0's and abotu 15 people review it as anything other than that. And critics have an average of a 94, that is hype in action.

There is very little objective there. I honestly can't say what I like and dislike about games without being told I'm this that and this by people who don't even know what i'm saying.

People in general are more concerned with hyping or panning these games than what they actually are is all I'm saying. And yes it's marketing. It's people too concerned with some image of what these games are than what they actually are. I really don't care but listening to that stuff all the time from people concerned with some image who can't take actual criticism is what it is.

It's like I blew up your world every time I have an opinion on how a game did something. EVery time. I'm this that this that and this according to you. People say really messed up stuff that has no basis in reality.

TheManofTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#24 TheManofTin
Member since 2011 • 395 Posts

I think you may be mis-attributing the word "overhyped" here. You yourself said you do not buy into hype, but most of the games you listed were very well acclaimed. Suffice to say, these games lived up to most people's expectations. Perhaps, while you were not invested in the hype, your impressions of these games did not match what you believed to be on par with everyone elses' excitement. But see, you yourself were never really excited for these games. And maybe while you did not buy into the hype, you were hoping the game would be on level to its critical acclaim. In these cases, they didn't. But just because you found a bland experience in some of these games, doesn't really mean they were overhyped in the traditional use of the word. It just didn't live up to your expectations. Either way, people were hyped for these games, and where some may have left disappointed, others left more than satisfied. This is why the term "overhyped" is kind of pointless in general.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I've found every Blizzard game after Warcraft 3 to be very overhyped and overrated.