Most disappointing game 2014 so far. . .?

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Qixote (10843 posts) -

I've narrowed it down to two primary contenders: Thief or Watch Dogs? Both were highly anticipated, and both ended up getting so much wrong. Feel free to add another if you think it could possibly be more disappointing than these two.

#2 Posted by starwolf474 (983 posts) -

My most disappointing game of 2014 was Mario Kart 8. Which isn't to say it is a bad game, in fact, I still think it is one of the best of 2014, but I was expecting it to be the best Mario Kart ever and it did not live up to those expectations, especially it's battle mode which was terrible.

#3 Posted by thehig1 (6151 posts) -

It's thief, I was so disappointed with it. Warch dogs was pretty good.

#4 Posted by marcheegsr (3113 posts) -

Im not going to lie. For me it has to be Infamous second son. It was too short, the side missions were repetitive and the story was average. Not hating on the graphics though.

#5 Posted by mastermetal777 (3215 posts) -

Thief was very disappointing for me. It just felt too linear and I didn't care much for it's story and atmosphere.

Wolfenstein: The New Order was also disappointing. It just stopped being fun after the first few chapters.

I happen to really like Watch Dogs. Sure, there were many things I wish they could've done better, but I'm enjoying what there is.

#6 Posted by Jacanuk (11573 posts) -

@Qixote said:

I've narrowed it down to two primary contenders: Thief or Watch Dogs? Both were highly anticipated, and both ended up getting so much wrong. Feel free to add another if you think it could possibly be more disappointing than these two.

Watch Dogs

Thief had its bugs and issues but it wasn´t nearly as bad as Watch Dogs is.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
#7 Posted by Notorious1234NA (1917 posts) -

BF4 dc lol

#8 Posted by Mesomorphin (903 posts) -

Thief was a pretty big disappointment. But IMO I fee like Transformers rise of the dark spark was a much bigger letdown, especially after the amazing previous two games.

#9 Posted by JamesJoule (389 posts) -

theif .. that game was destined for greatness .. then they fucked it up and look what we've got

#10 Posted by HipHopBeats (2850 posts) -

Watch Dogs by far. Thief wasn't even on my radar. Even though Thief came first, the most recent Thief looks like a dumbed down Dishonored.

#11 Posted by CTR360 (8369 posts) -

castlevania LOS2 and final fantasy 13-3 lighting return

#12 Posted by Macutchi (5630 posts) -

thief was a big disappointment. dated graphics, overly linear, limited mechanics and some very poorly thought out level design. all it really achieved was making me realise just how good a game dishonored is.

i had a feeling watch dogs was not going to meet expectations and i was right, i just didn't think it would be as bad as it was. so, as a stealth fan and lover of the first three games, i'll go with thief

#13 Posted by ail_taco (128 posts) -

all 2014 games except the indy pc game shattered hourglass

#15 Posted by coasterguy65 (7133 posts) -

I can't really think of any real disappointments. I really wasn't expecting much out of Thief or Watchdogs.

#16 Posted by Planeforger (17286 posts) -

I don't think Thief counts, since most of us had very low expectations from the first previews.

#17 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (14337 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

It's thief, I was so disappointed with it. Warch dogs was pretty good.

Yeah probably Thief. While I still enjoyed it, definitely not as good as I'd hoped.

#18 Edited by trollop_scat (2656 posts) -

I'm gonna go with Diablo 3. Again. The disappointment that game brings lasts years and years and years. Excuse me, I need to find a corner to go cry in after just thinking about it...

#19 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

Watch Dogs.

#20 Edited by blamix99 (2685 posts) -

1. FFXIII Lightning Returns. (it just got worst and worst)

2. Castlevania LoS2

3. Watchdogs (still enjoyed it though, but i was expecting more)

#21 Posted by Ballroompirate (25826 posts) -

Can't really say cause I've enjoyed all of the games I've bought/played this year so far.

List of what I've played

• Dark Souls 2
  • Bound by Flame
  • Wolfenstein TNO
  • Watchdogs
  • The Fall
  • Endless Legend
  • The Forest
  • Diablo 3 RoS
  • TLOU remastered

Actually now that I've made a list going back to what I've bought/played, Wildstar was pretty disappointing.

#22 Posted by Teush (25 posts) -

Watch dogs - graphics downgrade, repetitive sidequests, unsatisfying end, very uninteresting protagonist, in the open sea there is lawlessness

#23 Posted by Shmiity (6089 posts) -

Thief. It hurts worse when a game ALMOST gets there and just can't cut it. A flop is funny, but Thief just never found its footing.

#24 Posted by Star0 (451 posts) -

Watch Dogs or Mario Kart 8 most likely. I've given my reasons :)

#25 Posted by loafofgame (1742 posts) -
@Ballroompirate said:

Can't really say cause I've enjoyed all of the games I've bought/played this year so far.

Same here. That said, I have a copy of Watch Dogs that came with my new GPU, but I haven't played it yet. I guess that says something about the impression that game made on me.

#26 Posted by yokofox33 (30774 posts) -

Mario Kart 8. The core gameplay is good, but the lack of characters and depth in the game is sad. Plus the AI can be such a bitch at times.

I was also really hyped for Watch Dogs, but I ended up not even getting it since it just stopped looking like a great title. I'll pick it up when it's 20 bucks.

#27 Posted by chocolate1325 (33009 posts) -

Watch Dogs without a shadow of doubt the hype surrounding the game and the talk of it taking open world gaming to the next level.

#28 Posted by sukraj (27227 posts) -

@mastermetal777 said:

Thief was very disappointing for me. It just felt too linear and I didn't care much for it's story and atmosphere.

Wolfenstein: The New Order was also disappointing. It just stopped being fun after the first few chapters.

I happen to really like Watch Dogs. Sure, there were many things I wish they could've done better, but I'm enjoying what there is.

I love wolfenstein

#29 Posted by illmatic87 (17914 posts) -

Child of Light.

I liked the art and the dialogue, but the premise of a 2D RPG with Grandia-ish gameplay didnt turn out to be as exciting as I had hoped. It felt shallow and ultimately hollow.

#30 Edited by MrYaotubo (2880 posts) -

Probably Thief,it´s not horrible but as an entry in a series that is pretty much the gold standard for the genre(and two of the all time greatest games in any genre) in it´s first two games,especially Thief 2: The Metal Age,it´s really disapointing.
Watch Dogs was also a fairly big blunder and Infamous Second Son was about as mediocre as the series ever been,so I guess no big surprise there,I just expected more than just some pretty graphics.

#31 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@illmatic87

Atleast its got co-op ! :)

#32 Edited by Gamerno6666 (5057 posts) -

Thief

#33 Posted by cbb1018 (86 posts) -

I haven't played many games that have released in 2014, but I was disappointed with Watch Dogs and Titanfall. Although they are both good games, the hype that lead up to their releases was too much. I look at Titanfall as just CoD with mechs and the whole hacking into things in Watch Dogs was cool, but very repetitive.

#34 Posted by Blueresident87 (5655 posts) -

I haven't really been too disappointed so far, but that is because I haven't expected much.

#35 Posted by RyuRanVII (4254 posts) -

Thief. It's not even close to the series standard.

#36 Posted by uninspiredcup (24688 posts) -

Darksouls 2.

#37 Edited by udUbdaWgz1 (633 posts) -

lol, easily, tlou, lol the "remastered" edition.

most overrated game EVER and it's numerous and huge faults are still ignored across the net.

#38 Edited by GH05T-666 (1022 posts) -

Waited longer for this to be released and then BAM, not good!

#40 Posted by illmatic87 (17914 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@illmatic87

Atleast its got co-op ! :)

Havent tried the co-op myself. But the co-op doesnt strike me to be all that substantial. It's supposedly designed to be a co-op experience with a parent and child and it'd imagine it would be asymmetrical in a way that one just tags along.

It's not the kind of bro-op where a friend and I can cause mischief in (eg. Battleblock Theater, Portal 2, Trine 2, Magicka, Mario etc). Which is usually the Co-Op I prefer

#41 Posted by SoftwareGeek (573 posts) -

@mastermetal777:

@sukraj said:

@mastermetal777 said:

I love wolfenstein

I agree on Thief. I was a bit disappointed in it as well. I love Wolfenstein. Watch dogs was kind of "meh" for me.

#42 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14291 posts) -

Thief . Consolized to death .

#43 Posted by sukraj (27227 posts) -

@softwaregeek said:

@mastermetal777:

@sukraj said:

@mastermetal777 said:

I love wolfenstein

I agree on Thief. I was a bit disappointed in it as well. I love Wolfenstein. Watch dogs was kind of "meh" for me.

I hear ya i actually like Watch dogs i suppose everyone has different taste in videogames.

#44 Posted by heguain (1412 posts) -

Only if 'twas such a Masterpiece.

#45 Posted by spike6958 (6598 posts) -

Yikes. I can think of so many that are battling for that spot for me.

Thief was appalling, as was Watch Dogs, if we can include Beta's Destiny is pretty shit too. I'm hoping something good will launch this year, but I'm not holding out much hope seeing how most of the games with potential have been delayed till next year.

#46 Posted by SoftwareGeek (573 posts) -

@sukraj said:

@softwaregeek said:

@mastermetal777:

@sukraj said:

@mastermetal777 said:

I love wolfenstein

I hear ya i actually like Watch dogs i suppose everyone has different taste in videogames.

I actually didn't think it was a bad game or anything. I enjoyed it somewhat. I thought it was a very well put together game. It just wasn't my thing. Solidly developed game. I'll rent it from time to time.

#47 Posted by AgeThe6 (179 posts) -
  1. Infamous second son
  2. Watch dogs
  3. Dark Souls 2
#48 Posted by manny280 (1990 posts) -

Watch Dogs and Child of Light

#49 Posted by pcty (367 posts) -

For me it was Dark Souls II. Please don't hate me!! I liked the game and unlocked all the achievements in less than one week it is probably the best game of the year so far but for some reason it just doesn't appeal to me like Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls did.

#50 Posted by Sandmand12 (49 posts) -

i think Watch Dogs is disappointing and Thief of course