Mortal Kombat reboot live-action trailer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

don't know if this is for a game or movie, but it looks awesome.

http://kotaku.com/5558339/if-this-is-the-next-mortal-kombat-movie-sign-us-up

teufelherz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 teufelherz
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts

That trailer was really awesome. I think I'm going to watch it several times today.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#3 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
Looks like a strange and unnecessarily urban adaptation to the over-the-top original.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20967 Posts
Don't be surprised if it's for both a game and a movie. Last I heard, they were aiming at rebooting MK as a brand, not individually as games and movies unto themselves.
BenGenio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5 BenGenio
Member since 2005 • 566 Posts
Looks like a strange and unnecessarily urban adaptation to the over-the-top original.Daavpuke
I like the feel of this one is better than the over-the-top originals. If the action and story is there, and it seems like it is, it will surpass the original ones easily.
Avatar image for matallicthewolf
matallicthewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 matallicthewolf
Member since 2004 • 815 Posts

I don't know. I liked how they are going to bring back the gore in movie department. Something the last two movies missed becauase of the dreaded "lets make it PG-13 so we can sell more tickets" method. Rated M games need rated R movies, plain and simple.

martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts
WTF did I just watch. It looks ok but that is a perfect example of everything that is wrong with video game adaptations. Mortal Kombat is the only good video game movie because it actually used the source material. Now they are taking the one good example we have and screwing with it. Meh.dvader654
Well signs show this is meant to be a reboot.
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 martialbullet

[QUOTE="martialbullet"][QUOTE="dvader654"]WTF did I just watch. It looks ok but that is a perfect example of everything that is wrong with video game adaptations. Mortal Kombat is the only good video game movie because it actually used the source material. Now they are taking the one good example we have and screwing with it. Meh.dvader654

Well signs show this is meant to be a reboot.

Is it a movie or a game? I'm lost.

Not quite clear, but since it's so near E3, I'm going for a game.

If it's a movie, this does kill the source material unless that's the direction WB is taking with the entire franchise.

martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 martialbullet

Thats Sub-Zero. Eh whatever.We shall see. The franchise is practically dead I guess this can't hurt...

dvader654

Yeah, it can't be worse than "Eskimo Shredder" Sub-Zero :P

eskimooo

Though a cybernetic Sub-Zero with that visual design doesn't really scream "better"... and please don't tell me they changed clans for gangs. So what, Scorpion killed Sub-Zero's entire gang? :P

martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 martialbullet

Gaf found this:

dvader654

So a game?

And ID Software could sue?

martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 martialbullet
[QUOTE="dvader654"]Its a movie, from a blog: UPDATE 2: Cat's out of the bag. This is for the movie, and it comes from the mind of genius fight choreographer Larnell Stovall. He's the guy who did the fights for the excellent Undisputed 3: Redemption, on DVD and Blu-Ray right now. I hope that this movie gets made with Larnell plotting the punches, because this guy isn't just a geek like us, he's also got an incredible skill and ambition to create the next generation of fight choreography.

Okay, so use of the MK name with liberties for some sweet fight sequences? ._______. Wait, then what's with the 3D models of musclehead Sub-Zero? He's gonna be in CG? Oh gawd, or worse. Urban Mortal Kombat: The Movie: The Game.
bALTHar86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bALTHar86
Member since 2008 • 567 Posts

MK needs a reboot and this looks pretty good to me.

Avatar image for matallicthewolf
matallicthewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 matallicthewolf
Member since 2004 • 815 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Its a movie, from a blog: UPDATE 2: Cat's out of the bag. This is for the movie, and it comes from the mind of genius fight choreographer Larnell Stovall. He's the guy who did the fights for the excellent Undisputed 3: Redemption, on DVD and Blu-Ray right now. I hope that this movie gets made with Larnell plotting the punches, because this guy isn't just a geek like us, he's also got an incredible skill and ambition to create the next generation of fight choreography.martialbullet
Okay, so use of the MK name with liberties for some sweet fight sequences? ._______. Wait, then what's with the 3D models of musclehead Sub-Zero? He's gonna be in CG? Oh gawd, or worse. Urban Mortal Kombat: The Movie: The Game.

I sure hope not! I don't want another Street Fighter Movie: The Game.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Just checked my calender and its nowhere near april 1st............:cry:

What the hell did they do to MK?

I know MK 9 has been in the works since they finished MK vs DC. I hope this has nothing to do with the game. Baraka a surgen? whaaaaaaaaat

Ikouze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Ikouze
Member since 2009 • 2027 Posts

That trailer was so awesome. If Micheal Jai White is in it, It might be a new movie.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Cant say I care about Mortal Kombat anymore so whatever. Seems like a franchise thats already being hung out, skinned, bled and left rotting for many years now... pointless reboot is pointless.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts
Don't play the games much anymore but I really enjoyed the first Mortal Kombat movie so I certainly wouldn't mind seeing this one get made.
jks22112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#25 jks22112
Member since 2005 • 2395 Posts
I am almost positive this is for the next MK game. Right before E3, Ed Boon loves is super hyped up hints and teasers, and those images posted earlier sell it for me. I'm interested to see where they will go for the game. Could be a more traditional 3D fighter. Like, no super powers, fireballs, that kind of thing. This defintely matches Ed Boons idea for MK before they stopped and made MK vs DC. Dirty, gritty, reboot, gory, more serious.
Got_to_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Got_to_go
Member since 2009 • 2036 Posts
[QUOTE="dvader654"]From Gaf Here's the full story on the video: Big Update: Apparently our friends at Latino Review got the big scoop on this video. It was shot by Fame director Kevin Tancharoen and is supposedly a "test video" that was made to convince Warner Brothers to give them funding for a full blown hard R Mortal Kombat movie. So it's not for a video game, but it's not part of a movie - yet, at least. Kind of like that first Tron Legacy test trailer, this was made to convince them that fans would like this gritty take (and they certainly do). "Yes, this is the direction they plan on going for the Mortal Kombat reboot," says Latino Review. Even I'm amazed by all of that news. Let's hope it's all true! * The short was directed by Kevin Tancharoen, who did the remake of Fame last year. Judging from this short, Kevin is the perfect director for this movie. * Jacks is played by Michael Jai White. Michael played Spawn and was in Undisputed II. Michael makes a great Jacks (Jax). * Sonya Blade is played by Jeri Ryan, who played Seven of Nine in Star Trek: Voyager. * Baraka was played by the very talented Lateef Crowder, who plays the Brazilian fighter in Undisputed III. * Scorpion is played by Ian Anthony Dale. Ian plays Kazuya in the upcoming big screen version of Tekken. * Johnny Cage was played by up and coming martial arts sensation Matt Mullins. * Still working on who played Reptile. Will update when I find out. * The fight choreography was done by Larnell Stovall. Larnell did the fight choreography for Undisputed III and is one of the best fight choreographers in the business. You want to see the fights you deserve? Then you fans should DEMAND he be the guy in one charge for this reboot. Click HERE to read the exclusive interview I did with Larnell. * I know who might be playing Sub-Zero, but don't want to mention it in case it screws something up. He'd be perfect for the part.

Is there any way to let Warner Brothers know that we approve of this movie?
nav_auron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nav_auron
Member since 2005 • 15619 Posts

If they remove Outworld...I won't know what to think of it.

I'm interested in seeing if Goro will be present, and if so, what he'll look like.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20967 Posts

Mind-crushingly stupid. If this trailer is well-received by gamers then it will help to explain why game developers and marketers assume their customer base consists entirely of morons.

Dire_Weasel
Well, it's the first time the IP has been interesting since UMK3. Me, I can't stand the games (again, UMK3 notwithstanding), but I've always been fascinated by the MK continuity. From that angle, I look forward to seeing how everyone is represented in the reboot. There's a LOT of room for creativity.
jks22112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jks22112

Mind-crushingly stupid. If this trailer is well-received by gamers then it will help to explain why game developers and marketers assume their customer base consists entirely of morons.

Dire_Weasel
Mortal Kombat was always pretty stupid. It's definitely not an award winning super creative story, it actually seems that there isn't really a theme, but in fact many themes taken from other things. Which leads to a messy art direction all in all. You know what I'm saying? Would you say MK has been Eastern martial arts style, European Gothic style, sci fi technology style, dark city comic book style..you see what I'm saying? way too mishmash-ed and the story got way too convoluted. This seems like it'll be a fresh start and I'm interested to see where they go with this. It's nice to see there is a solid theme to this.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
I've posted many times in OT but this preview upsets me. Johnny cage gets the shaft again and I'm not feeling this "realistic" vibe.
incred_davis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 incred_davis
Member since 2005 • 1166 Posts

i will see this on opening day, this movie absolutly must be made...and a game with the same dark premise.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

[QUOTE="Dire_Weasel"]

jks22112

Mortal Kombat was always pretty stupid. It's definitely not an award winning super creative story, it actually seems that there isn't really a theme, but in fact many themes taken from other things. Which leads to a messy art direction all in all. You know what I'm saying? Would you say MK has been Eastern martial arts style, European Gothic style, sci fi technology style, dark city comic book style..you see what I'm saying? way too mishmash-ed and the story got way too convoluted. This seems like it'll be a fresh start and I'm interested to see where they go with this. It's nice to see there is a solid theme to this.

MK has always been stupid but that was one of things that made it fun ... it was like Metalocalypse, an inherently ridiculous genre taken to its ultimate conclusion, a self-parody. Ninjas vs demons vs Harryhausen monsters plus great gouts of cartoon blood is funny.

When you try to take subject matter like that and rewrote it with a dark, gritty, serious treatment it falls more than flat. It makes me think that the producers and the fanbase just aren't in on the joke anymore.

Zerkrender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zerkrender
Member since 2007 • 633 Posts
I think the changes are kinda cool for the most part. But I hope this realistic approach doesn't me we won't be seeing fireballs and other super powers, they're a big reason I like mortal combat. Also when he was talking about the new Baraka why did they do an action repeat thing of the cop just tossing the file over to him? A simple action such as touching a file is not really something I would want to see over and over again...
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

From Gaf Here's the full story on the video: Big Update: Apparently our friends at Latino Review got the big scoop on this video. It was shot by Fame director Kevin Tancharoen and is supposedly a "test video" that was made to convince Warner Brothers to give them funding for a full blown hard R Mortal Kombat movie. So it's not for a video game, but it's not part of a movie - yet, at least. Kind of like that first Tron Legacy test trailer, this was made to convince them that fans would like this gritty take (and they certainly do). "Yes, this is the direction they plan on going for the Mortal Kombat reboot," says Latino Review. Even I'm amazed by all of that news. Let's hope it's all true! * The short was directed by Kevin Tancharoen, who did the remake of Fame last year. Judging from this short, Kevin is the perfect director for this movie. * Jacks is played by Michael Jai White. Michael played Spawn and was in Undisputed II. Michael makes a great Jacks (Jax). * Sonya Blade is played by Jeri Ryan, who played Seven of Nine in Star Trek: Voyager. * Baraka was played by the very talented Lateef Crowder, who plays the Brazilian fighter in Undisputed III. * Scorpion is played by Ian Anthony Dale. Ian plays Kazuya in the upcoming big screen version of Tekken. * Johnny Cage was played by up and coming martial arts sensation Matt Mullins. * Still working on who played Reptile. Will update when I find out. * The fight choreography was done by Larnell Stovall. Larnell did the fight choreography for Undisputed III and is one of the best fight choreographers in the business. You want to see the fights you deserve? Then you fans should DEMAND he be the guy in one charge for this reboot. Click HERE to read the exclusive interview I did with Larnell. * I know who might be playing Sub-Zero, but don't want to mention it in case it screws something up. He'd be perfect for the part.dvader654
judging by the amount of views its getting every hour on youtube i thibk its worth making the full thing :D i loved it btw watched it a few times now

jks22112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jks22112

[QUOTE="jks22112"][QUOTE="Dire_Weasel"]

Dire_Weasel

MK has always been stupid but that was one of things that made it fun ... it was like Metalocalypse, an inherently ridiculous genre taken to its ultimate conclusion, a self-parody. Ninjas vs demons vs Harryhausen monsters plus great gouts of cartoon blood is funny.

When you try to take subject matter like that and rewrote it with a dark, gritty, serious treatment it falls more than flat. It makes me think that the producers and the fanbase just aren't in on the joke anymore.

Yeah, I get your, but if you look at the last few games, I'm not sure if even Ed Boon was in on the joke. Sure they've always had they're over the topness and little jokes, but it seems, but even then it still seemed like it didn't want to know what it wanted to be. IMO. But hey, you never know, this could just become another parody of itself and all these dark movies and games now. It's still not creative gold anyway.
Darkmoone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 Darkmoone1
Member since 2008 • 2845 Posts
Personally, I think it is a fresh start. Me and alot of my friends don't care about Johnny Cage anyway.
nav_auron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nav_auron
Member since 2005 • 15619 Posts

http://kotaku.com/5560010/the-new-mortal-kombat-trailer-is-pure-brutality

It appears we are getting a game after, on top of a possible movie.

jks22112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jks22112
Hmm, so what the people wanted came true. 2.5D with MK too. And the look still remains the same as always. Not as much of a change as I expected, but it looks pretty decent maybe? I dunno, I'd have to play it. They've been hit or miss with 2D gameplay, just like 3D gameplay, I guess, but yeah.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
Looks like a fine game. It really does improve the MK franchise. I just don't like it how it will be only for XBox and PS :( Now I can regret that I don't own any ofthese two... really :| Oh, well. The movie looks rather disappointing but the game will be a blast, I'm sure.
Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

turns out the trailer was a director's attempt at showing WB what he wants to do with the Mortal Kombat franchise for the next movie, he paid for the whole thing out of his own pocket to try and get WB to give him the ok to make the next movie, so this trailer could become the start of a new Mortal Kombat movie or be forgotten and left in the world of what could have been.