Mortal Kombat or Soul Caliber?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Australianpope
Member since 2012 • 211 Posts
Which of these fighting games seems more fun to you, they are two f my top favorites to be honest with Virtua Fighter in for a close third. Let's see which of them ends up winning.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

Going with Soul Calibur because I really enjoy well done 3D fighters and SC back in the day was so good to play, much better than MK which started to decline in quality a lot in the late 90's.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Soul Calibur had more wow-factor. When the first came out on the Dreamcast, I was completely blown away by the graphics. But I spent far more time on Mortal Kombat playing it against friends, trying to unlock Reptile and Smoke, testing out Fatalities, etc. So my vote goes to Mortal Kombat.

Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Australianpope

Soul Calibur had more wow-factor. When the first came out on the Dreamcast, I was completely blown away by the graphics. But I spent far more time on Mortal Kombat playing it against friends, trying to unlock Reptile and Smoke, testing out Fatalities, etc. So my vote goes to Mortal Kombat.

Emerald_Warrior
I agree, Soul Calibur was like the best arcade port, or at least the top of the line when it came out on the Dreamcast. Not to mention it fixed most complaints with it's younger cousin, and the only Mortal Kombat competition to it was four. But then Deadly Alliance came out. So I have been thinking for awhile, and I have decided I like Mortal Kombat more. Sure Soul Edge, and Soul Calibur were amazing, and I got all the version of Soul Calibur 2, but after deadly alliance brought back MK for me, and SC3 was not exactly the best game, and 4 was not exactly the best game, at least MK stayed consistent afterward. I mainly came t this decision because of Soul Caliber 4 and 5. But they are still two of my favorites though over all others. With Virtua Fighter a close Third and KOF somewhere 4th.
Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
I go with MK, just because it's a 2D fighter. After playing many fighting games I came to the conclusion that even mediocre 2D fighters are more fun than top-tier 3D fighters.
amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts
I like Soul Calibur, but Mortal Kombat is a lot better. Really, if not for having a character creator, which is fun to mess around with, I probably wouldn't like Soul Calibur as much as I do. That, and I would take MK9 over any of the recent Soul Calibur's.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I like both series, but I've never been too big of a Soul Caliber fan. However, if we're are comparing 3D MK games with Soul Caliber (which seems like the only fair comparison) I'd pick Soul Caliber. However, 2D MK games will always be prefered over any Soul Caliber title.

tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
mortal kombat. i'm picking this mainly because i played more of them growing up, the last soul caliber i had was 2. that said, soul caliber still rules.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I love the Mortal Kombat series for the over the top presentation. Mortal Kombats 1-9 are great for the over the topness. Soul Caliber is more of a serious tone. But fighting games in general are meant tpo be fun. Soul Caliber is weapon based fighting. instead of hand to hand of Mortal Kombat except for a few instances. But MK for me.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#10 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Mortal Kombat for it's finishing moves.

DynamiteRoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DynamiteRoll
Member since 2012 • 149 Posts

Soul Calibur for gameplay, Mortal Kombat for the mythology. I think I've had more fun reading about Mortal Kombat than I have actually playing the games. (Though that's not to knock the games themselves. I do love most of the MK games.)

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I find the old (2D) MKs more enjoyable.

But neither series comes close to SF, imo.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

MK for me... but only up to trilogy...i dont like the new MK that came out.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Emerald_Warrior

We should have made this a poll. Now I'm curious.

Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Australianpope

Emerald_Warrior
I have been looking around but found nothing on how to do that. The poll HTML code doesn't work on this forum either.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Australianpope

I have been looking around but found nothing on how to do that. The poll HTML code doesn't work on this forum either.

Once it's posted, it's too late. But when you start a thread, there's a poll option.

Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Australianpope

[QUOTE="Australianpope"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Emerald_Warrior

Once it's posted, it's too late. But when you start a thread, there's a poll option.

You sure? All I see is Tag in the new topic window.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="Australianpope"] I have been looking around but found nothing on how to do that. The poll HTML code doesn't work on this forum either.Australianpope

You sure? All I see is Tag in the new topic window.

It should be right next to the tag option, below the text window. I've started a few myself.

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts

I'm personally not a fan of how the old MK games played, so SC then!

GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GaussRiemann
Member since 2012 • 249 Posts
Soul Calibur. I found any Mortal Kombat game I played to be mediocre at best, while Soul Calibur was always fun.
DreamCuPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DreamCuPS
Member since 2012 • 28 Posts
I liked mortal kombat since the days it was released for snes. eventually i played soul edge on ps and i liked it a lot, though id never make no comparison between both. somethings made got kinda upset with mortal kombat as the time passed (like... robots, dumb fatalities, a policeman fighter using a pistol and so and so), while soul calibur only gets better. it returned in great shape on Armageddon, but overall i prefer soul calibur, both for the aesthetics and the gameplay.
Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

Mortal Kombat all the way