Mom thinks all shooters are the same

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for mentos_eater424
mentos_eater424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 mentos_eater424
Member since 2007 • 290 Posts

My mom doesnt want me buying shooters anymore because they are "all the same" example. I bought Mass Effect and Rainbow Six Vegas yesterday and she says "Why buy games that are all the same" How can I explain to her how shooters are all different? Esspecially Mass Effect vs. Rainbow Six Vegas.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#2 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
counter attack the crap she buys, books, purses, shoes ?? Just tell her to shut the hell up and mind her own business lol. She doesnt have to understand why you like what you like she just has to pay for it lol.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#3 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Pretty much, I use the same argument on my mom
i-like-pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 i-like-pie
Member since 2005 • 4070 Posts
counter attack the crap she buys, books, purses, shoes ?? Just tell her to shut the hell up and mind her own business lol. She doesnt have to understand why you like what you like she just has to pay for it lol. _AbBaNdOn

lol i do that to my mom. My mom buys expensive jewelry which she wear once :( I can buy tons of cool stuff with that money
qwertyoip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 qwertyoip
Member since 2007 • 1681 Posts
buy bioshock and tell her to tell you honestly that that is the same as rainbow 6
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
counter the argument by asking her why she buys all those shoes, they're the same right?
ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#7 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts
Wow. A lot of this advice sounds pretty abrasive. I think that if you feel you can go around and insult your mother, and her response will be "Okay dear, you're right" a-la Cartman's mom, then there's some bigger problems here. Probably ripping into her purchases isn't going to stand much of chance of winning her over. Do you buy your games, or does she? That may change your argument a little bit. Maybe understand where she's coming from. I'm guessing she's never played before, and if some just sees the occasional clip of somebody playing FPS games, you have to admit that they will all look very similar at a glance. A guy running around with a gun and shooting people. So tell her that. In my experience the best way to get someone to listen to your side of the story is to start off agreeing with them in some manner. It helps makes you seem less defensive, and they are likely to feel social courtesy to agree with you on something. Then calmly explain what makes the experiences different for you. Use a neutral analogy like, someone who's never driven a vehicle may think that driving is driving, and it doesn't matter what it is that you're behind the wheel of. But there's a definite difference in feel between driving a sedan, a sports car, a truck, and a van. Even invite her to play. She'll probably say "no", but it's at least an invitation for her to get invovled and experience the difference herself. There's my advice.
ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#8 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts
Wow. A lot of this advice sounds pretty abrasive. I think that if you feel you can go around and insult your mother, and her response will be "Okay dear, you're right" a-la Cartman's mom, then there's some bigger problems here. Probably ripping into her purchases isn't going to stand much of chance of winning her over. Do you buy your games, or does she? That may change your argument a little bit. Maybe understand where she's coming from. I'm guessing she's never played before, and if some just sees the occasional clip of somebody playing FPS games, you have to admit that they will all look very similar at a glance. A guy running around with a gun and shooting people. So tell her that. In my experience the best way to get someone to listen to your side of the story is to start off agreeing with them in some manner. It helps makes you seem less defensive, and they are likely to feel social courtesy to agree with you on something. Then calmly explain what makes the experiences different for you. Use a neutral analogy like, someone who's never driven a vehicle may think that driving is driving, and it doesn't matter what it is that you're behind the wheel of. But there's a definite difference in feel between driving a sedan, a sports car, a truck, and a van. Even invite her to play. She'll probably say "no", but it's at least an invitation for her to get involved and experience the difference herself. There's my advice.
Avatar image for mentos_eater424
mentos_eater424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 mentos_eater424
Member since 2007 • 290 Posts

She buys some of my games. I get her to buy all the games for me that she will. And get any leftover ones myself. Ill try some of your guyses advice on her, thanks for the helP!

Nintendo_D00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nintendo_D00d
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts
Your mom is right. All FPS's are the same game, whether its Halo, Call Of Duty, Counter-Strike, and all that crap.
Bauers-Twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Bauers-Twin
Member since 2007 • 14150 Posts
hm....i agree with your mom, shooters suck big time they're shoiuld be a limit on how many they are allowed to make per year.
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
Well, tell her you still love them and beg them to let you buy them.
Avatar image for imitationflavor
imitationflavor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 imitationflavor
Member since 2007 • 84 Posts

Well, she is right, kind of. Since all shooters are mostly the same. An FPS is almost always a game that takes place in first person, requires you to violently kill enemies primarily using firearms from a distance, focuses on running and jumping, teamwork, gives the ability to respawn, has a CTF mode, an American perspective world war with a Russian woman named Natalia guiding you... or a British-accent outer space future setting were you serve at the pleasure of an intergalactic "council"... and with the clones of Halo and Metroid popping up in drones, a lead character in a BobaFett/DaftPunk style space suit. Oh and an M rating.

And at their core, so are RTSes all alike, and racing games, and especially RPGs. Oh look, the village I was born in suddenly burned down and a half frog half man with a sword and his full woman underage princess angel daughter with haunting visions of the future need me to recover the lost bracelet of peace to rebuild the town and save time & space. I'll also need a clarinet and a pirate ship filled with neighborhood drunks and outcasts.

NFS102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14 NFS102
Member since 2007 • 27011 Posts

counter attack the crap she buys, books, purses, shoes ?? Just tell her to shut the hell up and mind her own business lol. She doesnt have to understand why you like what you like she just has to pay for it lol. _AbBaNdOn

Yeah. My mom buys a new purse every month. I'm like "WTF" and she says "this is in style!" lol.

shufu7-11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 shufu7-11
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts
Your mom is correct to a certain extent. All shooters have the same basic premise, but they are separated by little details such as the storyline or the realism of the action. Explain to her the differences between them and maybe she'll understand a little better.
Bauers-Twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Bauers-Twin
Member since 2007 • 14150 Posts

Well, she is right, kind of. Since all shooters are mostly the same. An FPS is almost always a game that takes place in first person, requires you to violently kill enemies primarily using firearms from a distance, focuses on running and jumping, teamwork, gives the ability to respawn, has a CTF mode, an American perspective world war with a Russian woman named Natalia guiding you... or a British-accent outer space future setting were you serve at the pleasure of an intergalactic "council"... and with the clones of Halo and Metroid popping up in drones, a lead character in a BobaFett/DaftPunk style space suit. Oh and an M rating.

And at their core, so are RTSes all alike, and racing games, and especially RPGs. Oh look, the village I was born in suddenly burned down and a half frog half man with a sword and his full woman underage princess angel daughter with haunting visions of the future need me to recover the lost bracelet of peace to rebuild the town and save time & space. I'll also need a clarinet and a pirate ship filled with neighborhood drunks and outcasts.

imitationflavor

haha your RPG summary is hilarious and mostly true.

anonymoussum1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 anonymoussum1
Member since 2006 • 771 Posts

Wow. A lot of this advice sounds pretty abrasive. I think that if you feel you can go around and insult your mother, and her response will be "Okay dear, you're right" a-la Cartman's mom, then there's some bigger problems here. Probably ripping into her purchases isn't going to stand much of chance of winning her over. Do you buy your games, or does she? That may change your argument a little bit. Maybe understand where she's coming from. I'm guessing she's never played before, and if some just sees the occasional clip of somebody playing FPS games, you have to admit that they will all look very similar at a glance. A guy running around with a gun and shooting people. So tell her that. In my experience the best way to get someone to listen to your side of the story is to start off agreeing with them in some manner. It helps makes you seem less defensive, and they are likely to feel social courtesy to agree with you on something. Then calmly explain what makes the experiences different for you. Use a neutral analogy like, someone who's never driven a vehicle may think that driving is driving, and it doesn't matter what it is that you're behind the wheel of. But there's a definite difference in feel between driving a sedan, a sports car, a truck, and a van. Even invite her to play. She'll probably say "no", but it's at least an invitation for her to get involved and experience the difference herself. There's my advice.ebbderelict

Listen to this guy.

doomsoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 doomsoth
Member since 2003 • 10094 Posts
Well, there is some truth to what she says, but at least Mass Effect is much more in depth and there is more than shooting involved. I've stopped buying shooters because they have little to no room to grow. They have pratically been perfected and many shooters offer the same game play.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#19 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Your mom is right. All FPS's are the same game, whether its Halo, Call Of Duty, Counter-Strike, and all that crap.Nintendo_D00d
That's why you play a Wii, with Mario games where almost all of them are the same
Avatar image for TheLordRagnarok
TheLordRagnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheLordRagnarok
Member since 2007 • 1076 Posts

buy bioshock and tell her to tell you honestly that that is the same as rainbow 6qwertyoip

Also get Portal. And Crysis.

Avatar image for TheLordRagnarok
TheLordRagnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheLordRagnarok
Member since 2007 • 1076 Posts

buy bioshock and tell her to tell you honestly that that is the same as rainbow 6qwertyoip

Also get Portal. And Crysis. No one can play them and honestly say they're generic.

-_MURS_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -_MURS_-
Member since 2008 • 526 Posts

I agree with your mom...

All shooters are basically the same...theyve been the same for almost 10 years now...I gave up on them a while ago...

I play more creative games now, ones that barely get noticed because of all these ridiculous FPS games...

VegetaJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 VegetaJr
Member since 2006 • 1437 Posts

I agree with your mom...

All shooters are basically the same...theyve been the same for almost 10 years now...I gave up on them a while ago...

I play more creative games now, ones that barely get noticed because of all these ridiculous FPS games...

-_MURS_-

FPS games make up a minority of the games released every year, fact. Yeah, you play "creative" games, here's a cookie, you're awesome.

ScratchedFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ScratchedFury
Member since 2004 • 195 Posts

That's a good way to speak to the person who brought you into this world, raised you when you couldn't even walk, and then clothe and feed you probably a lot later than she should have.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
You could try explaining that they are indeed the same IN CONCEPT but not in execution. Just like action flicks and romantic comedies, sometimes ppl like more of the same.
VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
Nomatter how much you explain she wont understand.
Get a job. :)
Nintendo_D00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nintendo_D00d
[QUOTE="Nintendo_D00d"]Your mom is right. All FPS's are the same game, whether its Halo, Call Of Duty, Counter-Strike, and all that crap.Toriko42
That's why you play a Wii, with Mario games where almost all of them are the same

yeah, I'm a huge Mario fan
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
She is pretty much right... there isn't much difference between shooting something in space or shooting it in Las Vegas. Shooting is shooting. Better not let her find out about the sex scene in Mass Effect.
ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#29 ishoturface
Member since 2007 • 12460 Posts
Your mom is right. All FPS's are the same game, whether its Halo, Call Of Duty, Counter-Strike, and all that crap.Nintendo_D00d
shooter hater
Nintendo_D00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nintendo_D00d
[QUOTE="Nintendo_D00d"]Your mom is right. All FPS's are the same game, whether its Halo, Call Of Duty, Counter-Strike, and all that crap.ishoturface
shooter hater

Shooters deserve to be hated. :)
TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts
Your mom isn't right, but she's pretty close. 45% of the shooters follow the Halo/space theme, 45% follow the Call of Duty/WWII theme and 10% fall in neither category. There's little variety in shooters these days, if there ever was variety to begin with.
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
Chain her up and make her watch you play through every FPS you have, that'll teach her.