Missing feature in GTA 4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

furqan2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 furqan2006
Member since 2006 • 384 Posts

Any comments about no planesĀ  in grand theft auto 4.

nexusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nexusprime
Member since 2004 • 877 Posts

There will be helicopters.

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

There is a really logical and obvious reason for this, and its not just because of any possible 9/11 controversy that may arise, one that even Rockstar stated in an feature magazine interview....ready....

Liberty City is based on New York City.....Rockstar's offices are based in NYC, so if anything I think they would have a very clear idea of what keeps with the theme of the setting.....

How many people use planes instead of helicopters to fly within New York City itself?

....there's your answer.

Riantomeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Riantomeister
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Why should u use a plane in a big city? too hard to fly and just no room.. In GTA SA it was great to fly a plane with the big open fields and dessert landscape but i dont think u need planes inĀ GTA 4Ā if u got a helicopter
nObiLis_AuRiga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nObiLis_AuRiga
Member since 2006 • 40 Posts

Why should u use a plane in a big city? too hard to fly and just no room.. In GTA SA it was great to fly a plane with the big open fields and dessert landscape but i dont think u need planes inĀ GTA 4Ā if u got a helicopterRiantomeister

yup...the helicopter will be goodĀ enough in a city

bxgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 bxgt
Member since 2006 • 3035 Posts
think about this, the fact that there not putting in any planes means lots more cars for us to drive in.
The_Duke_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Duke_Lives
Member since 2007 • 597 Posts

There is a really logical and obvious reason for this, and its not just because of any possible 9/11 controversy that may arise, one that even Rockstar stated in an feature magazine interview....ready....

Liberty City is based on New York City.....Rockstar's offices are based in NYC, so if anything I think they would have a very clear idea of what keeps with the theme of the setting.....

How many people use planes instead of helicopters to fly within New York City itself?

....there's your answer.

Robnyc22

And who uses a plane to fly within the confines of Miami (Vice City had them)? Who uses a plane to land in the middle of a busy street? Who uses a dump truck to run over pedestrians?

It doesn't have to be a life simulator, it should be about giving the player as many options as possible. Just as the past ones did.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#9 skrutop
Member since 2002 • 2262 Posts
And who uses a plane to fly within the confines of Miami (Vice City had them)? Who uses a plane to land in the middle of a busy street? Who uses a dump truck to run over pedestrians?

It doesn't have to be a life simulator, it should be about giving the player as many options as possible. Just as the past ones did.The_Duke_Lives

I think you're looking at this the wrong way.Ā  New York's skyline is so choked with tall buildings and is so densly populated that there would be nowhere to land.Ā  There's very few options for moving around the city in a plane that it would be pointless.Ā  Better that Rockstar focuses its efforts on building interiors, lots of cars, and better graphics.Ā 

The_Duke_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The_Duke_Lives
[QUOTE="The_Duke_Lives"]And who uses a plane to fly within the confines of Miami (Vice City had them)? Who uses a plane to land in the middle of a busy street? Who uses a dump truck to run over pedestrians?

It doesn't have to be a life simulator, it should be about giving the player as many options as possible. Just as the past ones did.skrutop

I think you're looking at this the wrong way.Ā  New York's skyline is so choked with tall buildings and is so densly populated that there would be nowhere to land.Ā  There's very few options for moving around the city in a plane that it would be pointless.Ā  Better that Rockstar focuses its efforts on building interiors, lots of cars, and better graphics.Ā 

Or they could focus their efforts on all of the above, including planes?

Sounds like a bunch of people making excuses for the developer to me.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I don't think it's a big deal at all. I only used planes when needed for missions in Vice City and San Andreas, so I don't really care. Helicopters are much convenient in a big city and easier to manoeuver.

Ā 

bigdrew172

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 bigdrew172
Member since 2004 • 1390 Posts
besides the 9/11 connection I also agree that planes really just won't be necessary for a game based in one city.Ā  Plus i've never really been a big fan of the planes in the game except for when traveling long distances in SA.
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Robnyc22

And who uses a plane to fly within the confines of Miami (Vice City had them)? Who uses a plane to land in the middle of a busy street? Who uses a dump truck to run over pedestrians?The_Duke_Lives

There are plenty of small seaplanes i the miami area.....seaplanes actually fit into the theme of a city based on Miami.

What the player chooses to do with the vehicles that fits in with the theme doesnt matter.

It doesn't have to be a life simulator, it should be about giving the player as many options as possible. Just as the past ones did.The_Duke_Lives

Well...then blame Rockstar, cause that's exactly the reason they gave in the interview feature with OPM and that with the kind of detail they are going with with GTAIV it would be pointless to have planes for this theme cause you'd be across the map in 5 seconds.

And the past ones didn't have really major vehicles that were out of place with the theme....all the vehicles in each of the series fit in with the location and theme.

The_Duke_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Duke_Lives

And the past ones didn't have really major vehicles that were out of place with the theme....all the vehicles in each of the series fit in with the location and theme.Ā Ā 

Robnyc22
You mean like the Army tank in Liberty City?
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Robnyc22

You mean like the Army tank in Liberty City?The_Duke_Lives

You mean the Unlockable one that only spawned at an Army base when you got a certain amount of hidden packages....or did you mean the one that only appeared when you when completely psycho and the army came out after you after getting a certain star rating, which even then the army wouldnt appear until you passed a certain point in the game.Ā 

The_Duke_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Duke_Lives

[QUOTE="The_Duke_Lives"]You mean like the Army tank in Liberty City?Robnyc22

You mean the Unlockable one that only spawned at an Army base when you got a certain amount of hidden packages....or did you mean the one that only appeared when you when completely psycho and the army came out after you after getting a certain star rating, which even then the army wouldnt appear until you passed a certain point in the game.Ā 

That's the one.

Or maybe even the jet pack in San Andreas. ;)

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#18 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
Really, I'm trying to care... but I don't.Ā  Planes were one of the most useless vehicles in all of the GTA games.Ā  They were a pain to maneuver, very limited in usefulness, and generally a thing I could have easily lived without.Ā  I would complain if they had no airborne vehicles but since they have copters I couldn't care less.
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Robnyc22
[QUOTE="Robnyc22"]

[QUOTE="The_Duke_Lives"]You mean like the Army tank in Liberty City?The_Duke_Lives

You mean the Unlockable one that only spawned at an Army base when you got a certain amount of hidden packages....or did you mean the one that only appeared when you when completely psycho and the army came out after you after getting a certain star rating, which even then the army wouldnt appear until you passed a certain point in the game.

That's the one.

Or maybe even the jet pack in San Andreas. ;)

Which was also unlockable only after completing the airstrip missions :P

I'm sure GTAIV will have unlockable vehicles, but Rockstart said an airplane doesn't work given they are trying to do with GTAIV and especially given the setting and its only taking place in one city.....a very detailed version of the city that will actually be bigger then all the other games, but still just one city.

Avatar image for Tactica1supris3
Tactica1supris3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tactica1supris3
Member since 2003 • 1077 Posts
I'm with Derek. I really don't care. I can't recall one experience in a plane in past GTA games that made the game that much more enjoyable (I also despised the seaplanes in VC with a passion).
vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts
well im going to miss flying to a high altitude and going sky diving, although this could probobly be replased with base jumping off massive skyscrapers
Crucifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Crucifier
Member since 2002 • 7195 Posts
i just hope to god they at least have split screen mp..Ā  wow how awesome that would be.Ā 
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts
[QUOTE="skrutop"][QUOTE="The_Duke_Lives"]And who uses a plane to fly within the confines of Miami (Vice City had them)? Who uses a plane to land in the middle of a busy street? Who uses a dump truck to run over pedestrians?

Or they could focus their efforts on all of the above, including planes?

Sounds like a bunch of people making excuses for the developer to me.

Or they are a developer more interested in making a nuanced and quality game experience rather than a rehash with everything and the kitchen sink thrown in to placate the masses.

Ā 

Mr_Ville_Valo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mr_Ville_Valo
Member since 2007 • 138 Posts
I wish there were planes...and a bigger map :(
kdt55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 kdt55
Member since 2004 • 2525 Posts
We may not need airliners, but small planes (not sea planes) would serve just fine.Ā  In fact, there are small planes that fly in New York City in real life.Ā  As you may remember, Cory Liddle (former Yankee pitcher)crashed his small plane and died in New York against a building.Ā  I know this is a bad example and might seem a little insensitive, but all I'm trying to say is that its stupid to say that planes that don't fly out of state don't exist in New York/New Jersey.
Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts
well....GTA 4 is'nt near as big as GTA SA, and that's why it does'nt need planes. They will use time to build on the graphics and Physics engine for this game, and then the next GTA will probably have planes and be alot bigger. Remember how fast Vice City and GTA SA came out, they were allways at least twice the size every time. So I don't think we'll have to wait so long for the next GTA, then they will have the building blocks. And hopefully it's gonna be a PS3 exclusive because of Bluray:). GTA is a big game, it needs more space than a DVD can offer, they can't keep compressing they're way out of this problem.
RR88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RR88
Member since 2003 • 5380 Posts
Come on, it seems like everyone is making excuses here. I would love if they had planes, and i'm fairly dissapointed they don't. At least they have Choppers though. Planes is the thing I used most in SA.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Dosen't bother me at all, I hated flying any kind of plane in the past games, I always LOVED flying the helicopters because they are so easy to maneuver and land anywheres, planes....ugh cant stand them. However the one exception is that jet fighter plane you steal from the naval base in SA, that thing was the dope.
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#29 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

Ā Yeah, I wont miss the planes,useless vehicle, I only used them if the mission required them.

Ā Helicopters on the other hand are a must,and if GTA4 did not have them,then the game would downgradeĀ  alot in my eyes.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
When I think of GTA one of the last things I think of are airplanes.Ā  It is a total non issue for me.
Final Form

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 Final Form
Member since 2002 • 646 Posts
Sounds like the expense of next-gen developement is forcing them to scale things back.Ā  Expect a weaker game in every way except for the graphics.Ā  This is why I hate the first couple years of a new console generation.
Haloforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Haloforce
Member since 2002 • 1245 Posts

No planes because in the city of accuracy? Thats BULL.

Has anyone ever been to New York City? JFK Airport anyone? LaGuardia? Not to mention planes fly over NYC all the time.

As you can i tell i am STILL pissed they didn't include airplanes. Seems like such a step backward in a major area.

There better be base-jumping from helicopters and buildings at least.

tryfe_lyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#33 tryfe_lyn
Member since 2005 • 4122 Posts
I'm upset that there are no planes.Ā  I am a big fan of flying and when they implemented that into SA, it was a dream come true.Ā  Most do not care for planes because they are "difficult" to control whereas choppers are not.Ā  I don't think the airplanes are that hard to maneuver...it just requires alot of skill in which some do not possess.Ā  It was great landing the prop plane on the vegas strip...similar to the goons inĀ Air Con...all you need is a 200m longĀ straightaway and you're all set...