Mirrors Edge totally underrated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Wii_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Wii_Lover
Member since 2008 • 303 Posts

So i recently finished Mirrors Edge and i know i was a little late but that is coz i bought my PS3 in late 2009 and then got Mirrors Edge from a friend.

Anyways, i wasn't expecting much coz gamespot gave it 7/10 and they were right on only one thing; it's pretty short. But its easily my fav game in 2010 and yea i have played all of RDR and Mass Effect 2 and other games that u think is cool. Bottom line is why isn't Mirrors Edge such an underrated game or am i a sucker for running games( i love AC franshise) also did u like as much as i do and why isn't there a Mirrors Edge 2 after all the ports to the PC and IOS ?

MOD EDIT: Removed excess punctuation.

Avatar image for deactivated-57f6810aefea1
deactivated-57f6810aefea1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 deactivated-57f6810aefea1
Member since 2009 • 497 Posts

I think a 7/10 is about fair.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
I didn't like it too much. I mean it was fun but if I had spent 60 $ on it. I would pretty ticked. I don't know how people appreciate games so much that are so short.
Avatar image for Victors_Valiant
Victors_Valiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Victors_Valiant
Member since 2010 • 398 Posts
I personally never got into it too much. I rented it and played for a little while but lost interest.
HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts
7/10 is a fair score. The story wasn't that interesting and it was so short that it was impossible to bond with any of the characters. The controls were fairly frustrating too with bad collision detection which was weird to have in a game which was about fluidity and motion.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I really enjoyed it, but I'd be lying if I said that style and visuals didn't play a big part of it. Still better than a lot of games that came out the same year.

Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

i think the first 4 hours is truly amazing. but once the guns start becoming more of an issue it looses its charm. great sound track too

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It has its flaws (the combat is clunky, the gunplay is useless) but it is nothing short of a great game. I went through the singleplayer at least 15 times... and can't count how many hours I poured into the challenges and time trials. Its one of those unique experiences of the generation that can't really be compared to anything else.

iano-87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 iano-87
Member since 2010 • 685 Posts

I made a topic like this before. Like you, I was late to buy and finish mirrors edge. I absolutely loved it. It gets a high 8 from me. Ok, its short enough but a games length is not relative to satisfaction. imo (within reason).

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#10 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I thought it was great - 8/10. But the broken gunplay and weak hand-to-hand combat combined with too much frustrating trial-and-error gameplay let it down for me. The adrenaline chase sequences were intense though!

Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

Personally I found it weird that a game like Mirror's Edge was done in 1st person. I got used to it bit it still felt a bit clunky in places.

I probably would have given it a 7 or a 6.5

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

It is one of the best games during its better moments but there are a lot of sections and bad decisions that being it down.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

It does some things really well, but overall, its not that fun of a game. I couldn't see myself even replaying the game after beating it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 foxhound_fox

[...] combined with too much frustrating trial-and-error gameplay [...] Venom_Raptor

I have yet to understand this complaint. Its a platformer... it wouldn't be one without trial and error gameplay. It is like complaining that Gears of War has cover gameplay. Or Halo has shooting gameplay. It is inherent to the genre.

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#15 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

It has its flaws (the combat is clunky, the gunplay is useless) but it is nothing short of a great game. I went through the singleplayer at least 15 times... and can't count how many hours I poured into the challenges and time trials. Its one of those unique experiences of the generation that can't really be compared to anything else.

foxhound_fox
I don't think the gun play was all that important though, I wish they had never put it in there at all. Disarms and melee yes but guns no :( I loved the game though it had a few flaws it was breath taking fresh look at first person. Once you knew a level you could whizz through amazingly smooth. Few games gave me that big an adrenaline rush.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
It's pretty awesome and there needs to be a sequel.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
I agree its very underated one of my favorite games this gen i really hope dice decides to make a sequel for it.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

6.5 for me sadly...

Do that mean its a bad game? No its above average but not super special.

mooooo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 mooooo99
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts

i agree, mirrors edge is a totally brilliant game. definately deserves a higher score.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts
It's one of my all-time favourites, actually.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 foxhound_fox

I don't think the gun play was all that important though, I wish they had never put it in there at all. Disarms and melee yes but guns no :( I loved the game though it had a few flaws it was breath taking fresh look at first person. Once you knew a level you could whizz through amazingly smooth. Few games gave me that big an adrenaline rush.AzelKosMos

Technically there is an achievement for going through the entire game without shooting a single enemy (which I got on my second playthrough on Hard)... so it is clear their emphasis in game design was on avoidance of combat. Especially given that guns slow you down, run out of ammo quickly and are ineffective against body armor. I don't think it would be necessary to remove it, since it was so disadvantaged in the first place. They might have included it to help indirectly show the player that they should be running, not shooting.

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#22 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

[QUOTE="AzelKosMos"]I don't think the gun play was all that important though, I wish they had never put it in there at all. Disarms and melee yes but guns no :( I loved the game though it had a few flaws it was breath taking fresh look at first person. Once you knew a level you could whizz through amazingly smooth. Few games gave me that big an adrenaline rush.foxhound_fox

Technically there is an achievement for going through the entire game without shooting a single enemy (which I got on my second playthrough on Hard)... so it is clear their emphasis in game design was on avoidance of combat. Especially given that guns slow you down, run out of ammo quickly and are ineffective against body armor. I don't think it would be necessary to remove it, since it was so disadvantaged in the first place. They might have included it to help indirectly show the player that they should be running, not shooting.

Oh I know that as I have the platinum trophy and never used guns. It's just I hear a lot of people moaning about the weak gun play and always wonder why they are playing Mirror's Edge in the first place if all they wanted was a fps :P I suppose if they had removed them people would complain that they can't use the guns.... XD

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I agree. I like it a lot
xxxDirtyJoexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 xxxDirtyJoexxx
Member since 2009 • 559 Posts

Loved it, it is original and refreshing first person platformer, judging distance is hard and mostly trial/error, but the screen is 2D so its not a design flaw, anyways great game.

Hanzoadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#25 Hanzoadam
Member since 2009 • 6576 Posts
I think its quite underated by people, It was one of my most anticiapted games after seeing it in an issue of edge. I think its a great game love it
SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SpArKs424
Member since 2010 • 2203 Posts

I thought this game was Highly original and a Great game made by DICE ...

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
i liked it alot, but it felt like it should have been 3rd person and the gunplay just felt forced
yourmajesty90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 yourmajesty90
Member since 2006 • 1420 Posts

I agree its very underated one of my favorite games this gen i really hope dice decides to make a sequel for it.DJ_Headshot

I do hope it too :(

I love it, one of the best games this generation indeed.

I think its quite underated by people, It was one of my most anticiapted games after seeing it in an issue of edge. I think its a great game love itHanzoadam

I didn't even seen a full article of this game, but a small box talking about it on Games.TM and I was already interested. When I played the demo, I fell in love with it and bought the game immediately. Unfortunately, while playing it, the 360 decided to play DJ with the disc and had to wait months to buy it again.

spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

id give it a 3/5 not bad but so mediocre that the only reason i remember it is because i have 2 achieemnts for that game

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

i tried but i just couldn't get into it, i guess first person platformers just aren't my thing. i'll stick to my 3d and side scrolling platformers...

Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#31 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
7 is a tad too low. I think it deserved at least an 8 for what it did. Very few first person games don't FORCE you to have a gun.
Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

I love it, personally, even the gunplay. There's no other game where you can jump off a wall, jam your heel into a guy's face, grab the SAW from his nerveless hands, mow down three incoming troopers, chuck the empty gun off the edge of a 16+ story building, and then follow it over with acrobatics that put Spiderman to shame.

Nothing like it, but it's a very niche title; very love-it-or-hate-it. I'm in the camp that would love to see a sequel.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

id give it a 3/5 not bad but so mediocre that the only reason i remember it is because i have 2 achieemnts for that game

spawnassasin
If you only have two achievements then the furthest you could have gotten was beating the first level or prologue.
Avatar image for logans122094360
logans122094360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 logans122094360
Member since 2010 • 327 Posts

I liked it alot id give it a 8/10

Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

[QUOTE="spawnassasin"]

Legolas_Katarn

If you only have two achievements then the furthest you could have gotten was beating the first level or prologue.

I think that's his point.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 JediXMan
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts

Mirror's Edge is extremely underrated. My only complaint was that it was just so short.

I'd really like a sequel, though.

00Killaz00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 00Killaz00
Member since 2010 • 1014 Posts

It gets old after awhile but I give it a 8.3/10

TEH_RADIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TEH_RADIO
Member since 2009 • 418 Posts

It was underrated. Amazing game although i can only play it one level at a time because I get too pumped from all the running and jumping. I paid 5$ for it last year on the direct2drive sale so it being short wasn't so much of an issue for me.

1zenron1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 1zenron1
Member since 2010 • 672 Posts

The concepts behind this game were good, but I don't think it really lived up to it's potential. People have complained about a lot of things which are kind of irrelevant in this topic. The combat and gun mechanics are supposed to be clunky, I think you're kind of missing the point. Putting aside the story, this game is all about the running. Run to this place, run to that one. The combat feels heavy and unintuitive because the developers don't want you to run around killing stuff. They want you to run.

That being said, it wasn't executed in a way that I particularly liked. Trial and error in platformers is normal, but it doesn't really translate well into 3D. In my opinion anyway. I want to point my analog stick in a direction and know that my character has a good chance of actually getting there. Was this game underrated? Not really. It really could have been a better game.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#40 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8485 Posts

It was good in concept, but I thought it was partially ruined by tedious environmental puzzles and lame combat sequences. I thought 7/10 was about right.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

I'd give it 6/10

Entertaining for a while, and scores points for originality, but quickly became very tedious and very repetitive. It became a bit of a chore by the end to be honest. It was by no means a bad game, but I'm in no hurry to play it again any time soon.

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

It was a decent game. Not worth a buy in my opinion but fun nonetheless.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
I had very fond memories of my first playthrough on PS3. I am currently replaying it on PC and it did not hold up as well as I remember. Its still a good game but a sequel with more unique and interesting gameplay moments and maybe expand the move set for better puzzles would really make the game great.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 foxhound_fox

DICE has already been contracted to do the sequel.

http://on-mirrors-edge.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=110

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 41674 Posts
I liked it, too bad it didn't sell well, I would have looked forward to a sequel.
The_Wii_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 The_Wii_Lover
Member since 2008 • 303 Posts
i think thats why it was that valuable, i got it for free so i liked it very much but again i get almost all of my games for free; i have a lot of rich friends :)
HatfulOfHollow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HatfulOfHollow
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I thought it was unique but it didn't really captivate me.
Charliesix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 Charliesix
Member since 2009 • 166 Posts

I really loved this game. Glad to hear that a sequel is in the works. I hope that it hasn't been quietly cancelled.

I kept hearing reviews saying there was a lot of "trial and error" in the game, but I never had any problems with that personally.

IMO, this game's mechanics could be effectively transferred to a first-person Batman or Assassin's Creed game.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts

So i recently finished Mirrors Edge and i know i was a little late but that is coz i bought my PS3 in late 2009 and then got Mirrors Edge from a friend.

Anyways, i wasn't expecting much coz gamespot gave it 7/10 and they were right on only one thing; it's pretty short. But its easily my fav game in 2010 and yea i have played all of RDR and Mass Effect 2 and other games that u think is cool. Bottom line is why isn't Mirrors Edge such an underrated game or am i a sucker for running games( i love AC franshise) also did u like as much as i do and why isn't there a Mirrors Edge 2 after all the ports to the PC and IOS ?

MOD EDIT: Removed excess punctuation.

The_Wii_Lover
It has a good foundation, but the game never really developed as it went along. Everything felt the same after a while.