Microsoft cuts jobs at Rare after failure of Kinect SP

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Over 20 employees including long timers of Chris Sutherland and Gavin Price, are being let go because of Microsoft's vision to change the direction of where they want Rare games to be. The biggest culprit of why people are being cut is probably of the very poor sales of the Kinect: Sports Rival.

What do you guys think of this situation?

Source

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I hope they join the indie market and put that wasted talent to good use; it's sad seeing good teams forced into making bad games and then punished because they flop, especially when there is so much opportunity out there these days.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Behardy24

@SapSacPrime said:

I hope they join the indie market and put that wasted talent to good use; it's sad seeing good teams forced into making bad games and then punished because they flop, especially when there is so much opportunity out there these days.

I wouldn't say the Kinect: Sports Rival and other Kinect sports games are bad games, they're just not good games nor are they successful. Microsoft attempted to replicate the success of the Wii Fit onto the Xbox with Kinect. Of course, it didn't pan out that. I bet there is good talent leave at Rare and Microsoft will give them the chance to make a game that the entire studios wants to make (with boundaries of course).

Because when it comes to making games, the entire studio's heart has to be in. If it's not, your game is usually dead on arrival.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Behardy24

Also, best wishes go out to those who loss their jobs at Rare, hope you have good luck in your future endeavors.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

They want to change the direction in which Rare games are going? That can only be good: I don't think you can stoop any lower than making nothing but Kinect Sports for 5 years.

Let them go back to making a proper Banjo game (no more racing shit) or a Conker sequel, those would sell like hot cakes.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6  Edited By Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

What is there to think? As an xbox fan, it pisses me off to see MS using Rare to make half ass kinect games, next to brilliant games like they used to.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7  Edited By Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

It's good all around. I mean it's bad news for those that are out of the job, but they're free of the Kinect shackles. The talent that created their solid games of yore have long since disbanded, is there any left at the studio?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Microsoft simply has no resolve to carry out their vision of what they wanted to do this generation. Now the Xbox One is trying to be a shadow of the PS4.

It's no wonder that everything they've tried to do has failed, and Kinect never seemed like a good idea. All the talent at Rare has been wasted ever since Microsoft bought them years ago. I have no idea why they've not been broken up long ago.

jupsto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 jupsto
Member since 2005 • 54 Posts

This is exactly what I think of this situation

Loading Video...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44139 Posts

That's unfortunate. Hopefully those let go will find employment soon and hopefully we'll get some Banjo, Perfect Dark, or Kameo games out of this. I really enjoyed the last entries in those franchises.

Justin_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 Justin_G
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

@jupsto: the satire... the freakin' satire LOL

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points