Microsoft Creative Director Departs After Controversy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="GalvatronType_R"]What Orth did/said/posted was unfortunate but I didn't want him to lose his job. The guy made a mistake, and if that's the standard for firing someone, we'd all be out of jobs.chrisrooR
No. No, see that's not how the professional world works. You don't alienate your potential customers by making a sleight at where they live. That's just a pretty logical no-no.

That's how I feel about it too.

Microsoft is a retail business of sorts and its #1 service is to the customers. You piss off the customers with remarks like those, things are bound to get ugly really quick.

The guy raged about the comments, told everyone to "get over it" and that it wasn't a "big deal" and then left before things got bad for him. You can't kid yourself on that; he was bound to get fired from his job. Either way, I'm not sorry about him at all. Every person is responsible for their own actions. You do what you do and take responsibility for it. Simple as that.

He has no one to blame but himself.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts
Jeez, pick a reason, stepping outside his duties and probably breaking policy on his position, maybe a non disclosure agreements issue, or being an utter and total ass and hurting the company's reputation in the process. And if any of the latest details of the VGLeaks are the least bit true then that might be saying that he was speaking on matters outside his knowledge or purposefully spreading false information. He'd be lucky if they let him resign, otherwise they could just fire him for misconduct and refuse to offer any pension or unemployment, resignation would at least offer him some dignity in the matter and not hurt his reputation while he looks for work... not like an employer couldn't figure out what happened by doing a Google search though.
Jerell_rast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Jerell_rast
Member since 2004 • 7095 Posts

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/10/microsoft-creative-director-departs-after-always-on-controversy

Microsoft realized that this guy's comments did more damage to the brand than to himself.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha
dealwithit ya bish

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#5 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Just lol.

Why fire someone over comments that dont hold merit? Sounds like he deserved it, and it M$ is doing this much damage control, these rumors are probably sound.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#6 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Can't say I'm surprised. Almost always the case after such outbursts.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#7 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
now imagine the hypocrisy if the next xbox really is always online.
Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3109 Posts
What Orth did/said/posted was unfortunate but I didn't want him to lose his job. The guy made a mistake, and if that's the standard for firing someone, we'd all be out of jobs.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
My favourite response on reddit; 0tjr7.gif
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
[QUOTE="GalvatronType_R"]What Orth did/said/posted was unfortunate but I didn't want him to lose his job. The guy made a mistake, and if that's the standard for firing someone, we'd all be out of jobs.

No. No, see that's not how the professional world works. You don't alienate your potential customers by making a sleight at where they live. That's just a pretty logical no-no.
Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts
If Microsoft actually fired his stupid ass - as opposed to him just being a pissy little bitch who quit as part of his tantrum, likely after Microsoft told him to shut the hell up because they didn't want his comments representing their company - then that's a step in the right direction for getting me interested in the next XBox. The 'always on' feature still has to go. That, or Microsoft needs to compensate by making the system so compelling that I'm willing to overlook that idiotic inconvenience. Specifically, they need to be poised to out-Steam Steam. If they put a system in place where digital downloads of games were just crazy cheap - like $40 for Day 1 releases, guaranteed price drops to $20 after 4-6 months, then all titles hitting a $10 or less bargain bin price point, plus annual sales with mega bundles for dirt cheap - and it was something Sony couldn't or wouldn't match, then I'm suddenly interested in XBox again. Otherwise...if I'm going to do my gaming on an 'always on' system, then I'll just upgrade my PC and start gaming there. Even then, aside from MMOs and those handful of games where the companies decided to be dicks about it, I don't need a constant internet connection with my PC. Or, while we're at it, a paid subscription to a lame service if I want to play with other people.
mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

Reminder to self: dont say stupid things on twitter when I have a cushy job:P

Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

I bet many of his colleagues despises him and as Creative Director whose job has to deal with a lot of people, this situation becomes a nightmare.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

It's a good start, but cutting out one douche bag won't change anything in a company full of them.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

It's a good start, but cutting out one douche bag won't change anything in a company full of them.

Bigboi500

Yep, it should have been Mattrick.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Whoops?

Now I remember why I don't go around saying things about my company on Twitter.

Ragma117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ragma117
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Lesson to be learned here is think twice before you post something.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
Deal with it
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Whoops?

Now I remember why I don't go around saying things about my company on Twitter.

Teufelhuhn

Exactly.

Anything negative is something that should be kept to yourself, no matter what company you work for. They'll find out about it and it eventually becomes something that bites you back in the ass for it. So it's better to just keep your mouth shut and not say anything bad in the first place.

Adam Orth is a stupid man for doing this. No one to blame but himself. He digged his own grave from all this mess.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

The guy obviously had the maturity level of a 16 year old system wars fanboy.  I can't imagine how he got a job in any sort of management position in the first place.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

Leads me to believe there's some merit behind the veil. Zoinks, scoob.

Boris_Lion_SLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Boris_Lion_SLO
Member since 2009 • 131 Posts

So let me get it straight.....he spoke the truth (console always have to be on-internet and poweer) and he was fired for that? (Well, he "resigned" and we all know that he was forced to).

BTW, now that he is out you guys think that always-connected-to-the-internet is gona go away? Yeah, dream about it.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#24 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Was pretty obvious he wouldn't be with the company for long when they publicly gives potential customers attitude. You don't tell people to "get over it" when your talking about a subject that people have no control over. I can't control if I have a fast broadband connection available to me that is affordable without data caps. The guy was a moron, I'm glad he was fired. I hope he has a hard time finding a job and ends up having to move out into the country with crappy internet so he can experience first hand what he thinks no one has to deal with.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

So let me get it straight.....he spoke the truth (console always have to be on-internet and poweer) and he was fired for that? (Well, he "resigned" and we all know that he was forced to).

BTW, now that he is out you guys think that always-connected-to-the-internet is gona go away? Yeah, dream about it.

Boris_Lion_SLO

Orth is now a poster here on PGD!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#26 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
I find it funny #dealwithit Orth
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00