Microsoft 180: Xbox One will NOT have ANY Used Games or Online DRM.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#151 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
To late. They've already shown their desire to force people to use games and consoles in a certain way, their way. Who knows what they will do in the future. Since it's solved by a patch they could easily replace it somewhere down the road. They don't want users to own games, they want users to pay to play a game. They can't be trusted, and I for one will not be giving my money to a company who in the last several years has shown they seem to fail at everything they attempt.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#152 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44093 Posts
OH HELL YEAH!!! Thankyou Microsoft. I don't particularly care about the used game market one way or another but as a game collector the online requirement had me spooked. Now I can buy an Xbox One and games for it with peace of mind. BEST. NEWS. EVER. :D
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#153 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

All the more reason to insist that we get some manner of benefit for making the choice to buy digital.

I think a lower price is a worthwhile swap for being unable to sell or trade a game.

Grammaton-Cleric

Totally. The problem is ensuring a price reduction happens. I could easily see developers justifying the current price tag as a necessity due to development costs.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
OH HELL YEAH!!! Thankyou Microsoft. I don't particularly care about the used game market one way or another but as a game collector the online requirement had me spooked. Now I can buy an Xbox One and games for it with peace of mind. BEST. NEWS. EVER. :DArchangel3371
THE MICROSOFT BRIGADE SHALL RISE AGAIN!
Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#155 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3104 Posts
Still not buying Xbox 540 (I'm a genius; 360+U turn 180=540): -still requires NSA personal data collection/listening device -$100 more for no discernable reason (beyond corporate greed) -all their DRM shenanigans can be easily returned via a few keystrokes and a system update -XBL Gold is required for every functionality: not only online play but also all video streaming, Youtube, music streaming, and even IE -if I did buy, I would feel like a complete sucker by rewarding the lies spewed by Major Nelson, the non-sensical and out of touch statements from Don Mattrick, and just the overall arrogant dooshbaggery of MS for trying something like this in the first place Lastly, I have a neat story for you all: -a friend once took her car in for a simple oil change -the mechanic swore up and down that the car needed new brake pads and rotors because the pads were low and the rotors were warped (probably because, like many mechanics, he assumed that she was clueless due to being female) -I inspected all four corners and the pads still have plenty of material left and the rotors were smooth, even, with no pitting, cracking, or grooves -the mechanic tried to appease her to not lose a customer but it was too late; just for trying to pull a fast one, trust had been broken and she never went back to him again -see the principle there? EDIT: one more thing - heads responsible for this need to roll at MS. Despite this reversal, thousands will still flock to PS4 and forgo X1 (including me), which will cost them millions of dollars. Last I checked, being directly responsible for losing your company millions of dollars is a fireable offense.
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#156 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Lol, who's to say Microsoft wouldn't try to ass rape their consumers at some later point down the line with another change in policy? What's next? A staged hack on Xbox Live to scare it's consumers into thinking they need to enforce these policies? It's amazing how people are so easily persuaded as a whole.

The mere fact that Microsoft even considered those Nazi policy's is crazy. Even if I thought their exclusives were better, I still wouldn't fvck with a company who experiements on it's consumers like that. Plus that Kinnect needed for X1 to function crap is still lame. Microsoft is making plays straight out of Edward Bernay's handbook on how to mind fvck the general public.

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#157 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

Still the price is too high considering its the weaker console. If I manage to get one, I'll get it after a few pricedrops. It will be my secondary console. Considering the PS4 price, I wouldn't be surprise if the X1 gets a $100 pricedrop within its first year. 

keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#158 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

MS already screwed up too badly to me.  The only thing this change did was shift my opinion to "Will not buy an X1" into "I'll buy one several years down the line when I find a really good deal on one."

This is very similar to how I went about getting a PS3.  I already had an Xbox 360 by the time it was released.  In no way did I feel it was worth the price tag.  About a year and a half ago I had a ton of store credit and gift cards for Gamestop, so I decided to get a brand new PS3 for about $100.  I predict a similar situation happening with the Xbox One.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#159 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts
I actually expect them to quietly drop the price to $399 as well before launch. Maybe then Nintendo will take it's head out of it's ass and realize that just because they claim not to be competing with MS and Sony, doesn't mean MS and Sony are not competing with them.
Yama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Yama
Member since 2002 • 34151 Posts

Certain games were said to require a 24/7 connection due to cloud powering, yet now all games will be playable offline? So cloud computing suddenly isn't a necessity and I'm to pay $100 more for 8GB's of DDR3 RAM versus 8GB's of DDR5? If not the ground work itself, the intentions were laid out there for everyone to see. This back pedaling makes it look even worse frankly.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#161 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Cliffy the fool hath spoketh! http://www.computerandvideogames.com/415453/sony-forced-microsofts-hand-not-the-internet-whining-says-bleszinski/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS He calls us a bunch of whiners. What a d*ckhead.

That was not smart.
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Randolph

Certain games were said to require a 24/7 connection due to cloud powering, yet now all games will be playable offline? So cloud computing suddenly isn't a necessity and I'm to pay $100 more for 8GB's of DDR3 RAM versus 8GB's of DDR5? If not the ground work itself, the intentions were laid out there for everyone to see. This back pedaling makes it look even worse frankly.

Yama
They still claim any game that uses the cloud requires online persistently just like an MMO, actually.
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Randolph
[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Cliffy the fool hath spoketh! http://www.computerandvideogames.com/415453/sony-forced-microsofts-hand-not-the-internet-whining-says-bleszinski/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS He calls us a bunch of whiners. What a d*ckhead.

That was not smart.

Dude Huge probably still thinks putting a chainsaw on a rifle is a huge contribution to gaming, and that Gears of War was a stellar game with a great plot and memorable characters. He's "special" like that.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Cliffy the fool hath spoketh! http://www.computerandvideogames.com/415453/sony-forced-microsofts-hand-not-the-internet-whining-says-bleszinski/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS He calls us a bunch of whiners. What a d*ckhead.BranKetra
That was not smart.

Wow. F*ck him. 

GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 GalvatronType_R
One thing Cliffy said that I agree with is expect an absolute explosion of DLC and tacked on multiplayer. Now that MS has caved from their demands, the sniveling publishers and developers will try to squeeze every penny from a stone in an attempt to "over-deliver more value" or some other trite corporate-speak BS.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

One thing Cliffy said that I agree with is expect an absolute explosion of DLC and tacked on multiplayer. Now that MS has caved from their demands, the sniveling publishers and developers will try to squeeze every penny from a stone in an attempt to "over-deliver more value" or some other trite corporate-speak BS.GalvatronType_R

Does he honestly expect us to believe they wouldn't do this anyway even with Microsoft's DRM? It's never enough for these companies, they always need to find more and more ways to make money. 

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Randolph
One thing Cliffy said that I agree with is expect an absolute explosion of DLC and tacked on multiplayer.GalvatronType_R
We are in that explosion right now, and it's more like a super nova. This was going to continue to happen regardless. Cliffy B is a moron.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
This is the awesomest news I've heard in a long time. BUT! Does the abolition of the used game and 24hr check in policies mean that the grand game sharing policy has been buried, too? I think it will. And that'll piss off everyone all over again.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 El_Zo1212o
I don't know whether or not anyone will ever read it, since I doubt the High and Mighty CLIFFYB runs his own facebook page, but this is the message I just sent to Cliffor "CliffyB" Bleszinski: "You can go straight to hell- do not pass go and sure as hell do not collect a single red cent out of me ever again. "I'll enjoy pirating every single game that ever has your name on it ever again. Y'see, normally I'd just buy the games used, but I will enjoy hassling and fussing with any pain in the ass little detail in order to get a cracked version of any game you ever have a hand in again because I don't even want to purchase a game secondhand that's had your grubby little paws on it, since that would mean at one point that it was purchased new. "You've got some balls, man. driving around in an Italian penis extender while bemoaning the plague of used games- trying to rip rights away from the consumers when it obviously hasn't harmed your bottom line. "In conclusion, I pay good money to own the disc and everything on it- but not to you. Not any more. Good day, Mr B. And go f*ck yourself."
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#170 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

Still getting a cheaper, more powerful, indie friendly playstation 4 over the forced kinect box.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#171 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17655 Posts

Good news.

However, fvck Microsoft.  That they even tried to pull this bullshit shows me something about them that I still don't wish to support.  I don't give them any credit, because if Sony had not done what they did to allow the consumers to scream with their wallet and enabled them to throw the big finger towards MS, they'd be doing no such thing.  I still refuse to buy a One.  Maybe one day when it's cheaper and has more games I'll consider it.  I'm still angry.

Not to mention I believe MS is going to implement the same thing anyway, just now in a much more insidious way.  They realized their approach was far too forthcoming and rash, so they're initially dropping, but not abandoning, their plans.  Just to try to regain gamer's trust and favor, sell a lot of units initially, then when a solid userbase is established, they're just going to introduce them gradually over a long period of time.  I don't trust them at all.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Good news.

However, fvck Microsoft.  That they even tried to pull this bullshit shows me something about them that I still don't wish to support.  I don't give them any credit, because if Sony had not done what they did to allow the consumers to scream with their wallet and enabled them to throw the big finger towards MS, they'd be doing no such thing.  I still refuse to buy a One.  Maybe one day when it's cheaper and has more games I'll consider it.  I'm still angry.

Not to mention I believe MS is going to implement the same thing anyway, just now in a much more insidious way.  They realized their approach was far too forthcoming and rash, so they're initially dropping, but not abandoning, their plans.  Just to try to regain gamer's trust and favor, sell a lot of units initially, then when a solid userbase is established, they're just going to introduce them gradually over a long period of time.  I don't trust them at all.

MirkoS77

And rightfully so. I wouldn't be surprised if a number of games come out later down the line that need to be connected to make use of the "cloud" features. DRM in disguise, if you can call it that. 

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#173 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Now if they just lose the Kinect, lower the price, support indie developers, and didn't try to screw us in the first place we will have leveled the playing field. Developers making heavy use of Cloud might still need us to be connected though.

BNJr_uKCEAAG2XG.jpg:large

I don't know whether or not anyone will ever read it, since I doubt the High and Mighty CLIFFYB runs his own facebook page, but this is the message I just sent to Cliffor "CliffyB" Bleszinski:

Cliff is an idiot who has done nothing for the industry.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#174 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
By the way, a friend just pointed this out to me: Xbone games can be played offline? Does this mean that "the cloud makes your Xbone more powerful" was another lie?
JJ_Productions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 JJ_Productions
Member since 2008 • 1067 Posts
Just the attempt of Microsoft trying to do this has put me off Microsoft products for life.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Legolas_Katarn
By the way, a friend just pointed this out to me: Xbone games can be played offline? Does this mean that "the cloud makes your Xbone more powerful" was another lie?Black_Knight_00
Seems more likely that those games would still need to be connected.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]By the way, a friend just pointed this out to me: Xbone games can be played offline? Does this mean that "the cloud makes your Xbone more powerful" was another lie?Legolas_Katarn

I thought I read a phrase that said basically, "all games will be able to be played offline."
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Legolas_Katarn
[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]By the way, a friend just pointed this out to me: Xbone games can be played offline? Does this mean that "the cloud makes your Xbone more powerful" was another lie?El_Zo1212o

I thought I read a phrase that said basically, "all games will be able to be played offline."

Well they either lied about the use of cloud greatly improving games or developers making use of it will need people to be online in order to use it. Or the game would lose features or run differently when offline.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 MirkoS77

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

Good news.

Vari3ty

And rightfully so. I wouldn't be surprised if a number of games come out later down the line that need to be connected to make use of the "cloud" features. DRM in disguise, if you can call it that. 

Yup, you can count on it.  I doubt MS is really changing anything at all, they are simply delaying to be able to get their foot in the door in order to be able to again try to push this crap.  That's why I'm not getting the One at release, or anywhere near it.  It'll be interesting to see how it pans out over the coming years.  MS is betting on the fact that people are soon to forget.  And they will.  This is not a war won for us, it's a battle lost for them.  Which is great, but it assures nothing.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#180 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Only reason why MS is even doing all this backpedaling is because they now know, for a fact, that Sony kicked their asses on the following three categories.

-Price point ($399).
-No DRM.
-The ability to play offline at anytime.

If Microsoft is to win consumers over again, they had to re-shift their focus and get those things out of the way. People are still going to buy the XBox One, regardless of their feelings for MS or not, because it has to be owned. It has to be played right from the get-go, so people will want it. The real question is whether or not the XBox One can surpass the XBox 360 in terms of quality gaming and how long it can last as their last two systems did. If they succeed in that, it's possible that they have a winner on their hands. Simply put, Microsoft got their asses handed to them and were and possibly still are pretty desperate to get people back on their side.

I know that I've said that I'm not getting an XBone One anytime soon, but the games on there look so damn tempting to play anyway (Killer Instinct, Forza 5, Titanfall, and Ryse, to name a few, possibly Project Spark too).

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#181 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
While it is good they went back on all the crap they were saying.. they still haven't made it clear to people with the games that use the cloud. Those games will still require a connection. Games like forza that doesn't have a set AI. It uses the cloud to learn how you play and makes opponents based on that will require you to be online all the time.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#182 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Yup, you can count on it.  I doubt MS is really changing anything at all, they are simply delaying to be able to get their foot in the door in order to be able to again try to push this crap.  That's why I'm not getting the One at release, or anywhere near it.  It'll be interesting to see how it pans out over the coming years.  MS is betting on the fact that people are soon to forget.  And they will.  This is not a war won for us, it's a battle lost for them.  Which is great, but it assures nothing.

MirkoS77

Yeah, we've seen what they're really made of. Just because they've decided to put the mask back on for a bit doesn't mean that they've changed. My friend used to have a wife who acted the same way -- she'd cheat on him and break his heart, and then swear never to do it again until the next time. You know when it finally stopped? When he served her with divorce papers. Sometimes, the only thing worse than being fvcked over, is getting fvcked over when you knew in advance that it was going to happen again. 

It's clear what Microsoft is, what they think of us "whiny" gamers, and where they want to go. For me, the only solution to that type of situation is divorce, because the trust is gone. 

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 MirkoS77

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

Shame-usBlackley

Yeah, we've seen what they're really made of. Just because they've decided to put the mask back on for a bit doesn't mean that they've changed. My friend used to have a wife who acted the same way -- she'd cheat on him and break his heart, and then swear never to do it again until the next time. You know when it finally stopped? When he served her with divorce papers. Sometimes, the only thing worse than being fvcked over, is getting fvcked over when you knew in advance that it was going to happen again. 

It's clear what Microsoft is, what they think of us "whiny" gamers, and where they want to go. For me, the only solution to that type of situation is divorce, because the trust is gone. 

The sad thing is, these forums are filled to the brim with so many singing MS's praises.  As if MS all of a sudden DOESN'T believe in DRM, or no used games, or limitations.  Give me a break people.  I signed those divorce papers the moment MS came out and tried to push that shit on us.  As they still will try.  Frustrating man, frustrating.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#184 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

Alex you were right all along. :( 

I haven't changed my mind about buying a next generation console. Will start buying one when Final Fantasy VX is finally released. I'll probably get the cheapest.

@shameus: it's not "whiny" gamers it's something illegal being made legal because big corporate have so much influence on supreme court and everything in the world. We can't sue them for infringing consumer rights. We can't sue them for a lot of things. Sometimes we can't just "sue" them because of the arbitrary clause but that's an entirely different topic. So MS changing their policies is walking in the right track again. I remember reading an article featured in Gamespot about green gaming. I was like, how can console manufactureres be green when they're not "ethical". You care about the planet (only to help you look good) but don't give a damn about consumer rights?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#185 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Alex you were right all along. :( 

I haven't changed my mind about buying a next generation console. Will start buying one when Final Fantasy VX is finally released. I'll probably get the cheapest.

gamingqueen
How was he right?
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#186 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

[QUOTE="GalvatronType_R"]One thing Cliffy said that I agree with is expect an absolute explosion of DLC and tacked on multiplayer.Randolph
We are in that explosion right now, and it's more like a super nova. This was going to continue to happen regardless. Cliffy B is a moron.

Totally agree. What makes us think that DLC and tacked on multiplayer(or how about tacked on single player???) would have stopped with the initial DRM policy/used games one?

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

Too little, too late. Didn't they release a statement prior that they don't view the PS4 as a threat? Okay.

This has only changed my mindset from no way am I ever getting an X1, to I might get one 5-6 years down the road. Now Microsoft has a trust and credibility issue, why would I expect them not to 180 again on this after they've moved a set enough units? PS4 for me (maybe a Wii U when it's less than $200 with a large HDD and Wii U pad 2.0).

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

70% of the used games sales fund new game sales. So out of that billion dollars, $700 million are fed back to the industry. 

WhiteKnight77

How does the money Gamestop makes from used game sales get fed back to the industry? As it is, gamers get a pittance of what they paid for a game by Gamestop and have to sell several games back just to buy one game. Gamestop makes approximately 50% of its profit from used game sales (I guess the rest of the money goes to overhead). How does EP, Ubisoft or Valve get any of that money back? It certainly isn't because large numbers of new games are sailing off the shelves, especially when gamers talk about wanting to save what they can by buying used due to games being so expensive. 

I'm still a little bit confused as to WHY the developers or publishers should get ANY of that money. They didn't set up the resell service, Gamestop did. They aren't taking a risk by taking back a used games that may or may not sell, Gamestop is. Now, publishers are absolutely within their rights to make it so that used copies don't work. They're absolutely within their right to restrict the license to the first person who bought it. But once that game DOES make it onto Gamestop shelves and is subsequently resold to a second customer, publishers and developers and console manufacturers aren't entitled to $hit. They could have locked that game to the first buyer. Failing to do that doesn't suddenly mean that they deserve a cut of used game sales.
Darkeroid2212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Darkeroid2212
Member since 2012 • 293 Posts

This. Nafiyaan is one of my friends.

1011885_401574043291711_1821721268_n.jpg

I LITERALLY fell out of my chair laughing!

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="Areez"]Abusive? You do not think that it is abusive that Gamestop ripps off gamers with trade-ins?Black_Knight_00
Gamestop is a ripoff, sure, but it's not abusive. I'll explain: people who trade in at gamestop are people who are too hasty (or lazy) to setup an ebay account, which would often allow them to sell their games for twice the amount gamestop pays for them. The fact that they choose to trade in at gamestop is entirely their fault. There's a choice, you see? When it comes to DRM and on-disc DLC there is no choice: you need to comply with the DRM if you want to play the game, and the content is locked on the disc regardless of what you think of it. These are abusive practices as they are imposed on the customer.

Yep, it's like a convenience fee. Sure, a bottle of ketchup is expensive as hell at the gas station. My choice: I can either get it there for $5 while I'm filling up my tank, or drive 3 miles down the street and buy that same jar of ketchup for $2 at a Wal-Mart. I'm free to decide if the convenience of not having to make a second stop is worth paying more for the product. The fact is, everyone knows they CAN set up an ebay account and resell their games for more than at Gamestop. But for some people it's just not gonna be worth it. Those games would be sitting on their shelves unplayed without CONVENIENT places like Gamespot. Gamespot might only give you less than half of what a used game is "worth", but that's still SOMETHING and it's still more than that person would have gotten if that game was just sitting in their closet collecting dust and not being played.
Gamefan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Gamefan1986
Member since 2005 • 1325 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Just read his post again. He said trust=0.

nvm me. I am imagining things. 

Areez

Well, should we trust the judgment (in terms of gaming) of someone who doesn't see the dangers behind DRM? The only way someone can defend DRM is if they haven't thought things through.

I am not convinced that DRM would have killed the industry. You know what is going to kill the industry and raise the prices of games? Piracy and used game sells.  I get the sense that a lot of folks overlook the fact the developers are running a business. No one looks at DRM from a business perspective, and what it collectivley means for developers. The indusrty looses an additional billion in lost revenue to the secondary market used game sells market. Gamestop is a racket.

100 percent of the profit of used game sells goes back to Gamestop. Used games are also a rip-off for gamers too. Sure, the idea of receiving trade-in credit to use towards a new game sounds very appealing. However, the depreciation of a brand new game's value drops fast, as soon as you tear off the plastic, instant depreciation. The $60 you paid for your game, is now worth $25-35 dollars (depending on how old the title is, the reviews for the game) and Gamestop will turn around and sell your game for $45-55 dollars used. The best part for Gamestop, is that it can re-sell the same used game, over and over again. Can we say...more money, more money and more money. And none of that goes back to the developers. 

Consumers would be wise to just sell their games on their own and at least maximize their own used game value. I think what MS was trying to do with console DRM was to create Steam like service for consoles and allow the developers to get a piece of the action from used game sells, by placing more controls on used software sells. Piracy, lost revenue from used game sells...these are the things that will hurt the gaming industry.

You do know that used games does NOT just equal trading them in at Gamestop right? Most of the anger over DRM is the question of ownership. If I am going to pay 60 damn dollars for a game I better damn well be able to do whatever the hell I want with it, I should be able to sell it to someone on Craigslist, loan it to a friend or flush it down my toilet if I want to. DRM means that you don't actually own the stuff you pay for, even if the disc is in your house. That is the issue. If you want to spend hundreds of dollars renting games until they decide to shut down their servers more power to you but I care about my investments.

Ghost_Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Ghost_Face
Member since 2002 • 7676 Posts

Did anyone believe that MS or Sony are in this business for anything other than to make a profit? It's not because the manufacturers care about the gamers beyond the ability for them to maximize profit off of us. Sony's decision to go DRM free, no region lock, or constant Internet connection are wonderful announcements, but I firmly believe that Sony took note of the backlash against Microsoft's plans and reacted accordingly. Don't get me wrong, it's exactly what Sony should have done and I applaud them for the shrewdness of the move, but I definitely don't see them as the paragon of gamers.

Now that MS has reversed their decision, and yet people are still holding that decision against them. I'm not one to try and argue against opinion, because what someone truly believes is almost impossible to change; I just don't understand the continued opposition based on those Microsoft decisions. The DRM restrictions are gone the way of the constant Internet connection. If the pricepoint is what individuals are basing their decision on, I believe that to be more important than, "MS did that, and even though they've reversed their decision, I'm still not giving them a chance" argument.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 El_Zo1212o

Did anyone believe that MS or Sony are in this business for anything other than to make a profit? It's not because the manufacturers care about the gamers beyond the ability for them to maximize profit off of us. Sony's decision to go DRM free, no region lock, or constant Internet connection are wonderful announcements, but I firmly believe that Sony took note of the backlash against Microsoft's plans and reacted accordingly. Don't get me wrong, it's exactly what Sony should have done and I applaud them for the shrewdness of the move, but I definitely don't see them as the paragon of gamers.

Now that MS has reversed their decision, and yet people are still holding that decision against them. I'm not one to try and argue against opinion, because what someone truly believes is almost impossible to change; I just don't understand the continued opposition based on those Microsoft decisions. The DRM restrictions are gone the way of the constant Internet connection. If the pricepoint is what individuals are basing their decision on, I believe that to be more important than, "MS did that, and even though they've reversed their decision, I'm still not giving them a chance" argument.

Ghost_Face
I think it's still important to send them a message. That being: "We will not forget this." What Microsoft just tried to pull was a magic trick- watch as they make your consumer rights disappear. Had Sony gone along, all the outcry in the community likely would have been for nothing. Anyone remember the Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror where Bill Clinton and Bob Dole were body snatched by Kang and Kodos? "I'm gonna vote for a third party candidate!" "Go ahead! Throw your vote away!" That would have been Sony and Microsoft underlining that the Wii U was the only alternative. Instead, Sony knifed Microsoft in the kidneys(I'm beginning to really love that metaphor), and now Microsoft is stuck trying to stop the bleeding by backpeddaling furiously. Now, if it were just about sending the message I mentioned earlier, I'd probably cave in a year or two. But considering Microsoft is one of the companies specifically mentioned in the whole NSA/PRISM scandal and their new 3D camera is mandatory and will be watching you all the time, I won't bring it into my house. It's bad enough Verizon was on the list since I already have(and have had for years) my phone service through them.
gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I think it's still important to send them a message. That being: "We will not forget this." What Microsoft just tried to pull was a magic trick- watch as they make your consumer rights disappear. Had Sony gone along, all the outcry in the community likely would have been for nothing. Anyone remember the Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror where Bill Clinton and Bob Dole were body snatched by Kang and Kodos? "I'm gonna vote for a third party candidate!" "Go ahead! Throw your vote away!" El_Zo1212o

Bob Dole likes to hear Bob Dole talk about Bob Dole. Bob Dole! 

Baroni88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Baroni88
Member since 2011 • 345 Posts
I guess the only thing left to do is fix their customer support. It's awful compared to Sony.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

70% of the used games sales fund new game sales. So out of that billion dollars, $700 million are fed back to the industry. 

MrGeezer

How does the money Gamestop makes from used game sales get fed back to the industry? As it is, gamers get a pittance of what they paid for a game by Gamestop and have to sell several games back just to buy one game. Gamestop makes approximately 50% of its profit from used game sales (I guess the rest of the money goes to overhead). How does EP, Ubisoft or Valve get any of that money back? It certainly isn't because large numbers of new games are sailing off the shelves, especially when gamers talk about wanting to save what they can by buying used due to games being so expensive. 

I'm still a little bit confused as to WHY the developers or publishers should get ANY of that money. They didn't set up the resell service, Gamestop did. They aren't taking a risk by taking back a used games that may or may not sell, Gamestop is. Now, publishers are absolutely within their rights to make it so that used copies don't work. They're absolutely within their right to restrict the license to the first person who bought it. But once that game DOES make it onto Gamestop shelves and is subsequently resold to a second customer, publishers and developers and console manufacturers aren't entitled to $hit. They could have locked that game to the first buyer. Failing to do that doesn't suddenly mean that they deserve a cut of used game sales.

I am not saying that the developers and publishers should get any money from used game sales. First Sale Doctrine says that once it is sold, they lose all rights to any other funds related to said product. That also means that a consumer can sell said item to another party. It does not give another party the right to make a profit from reselling a product that they previously sold either. It's one thing to sell the game via Craigslist or eBay, but entirely another when a company is making ~ 50% of its profits from said sales. 

I agree, publishers can do more to restrict those sales and in a way, MS was almost on the right track. Sony and MS can do more to help both gamers and publishers while restricting Gamestop. Tying the games to a persons account with a CD key that can be removed from the account or transferred to a different person is one way to go. Until they do, they do not have much room to complain about it.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Ghost_Face

Of course all companies just want our money. But some methods of obtaining it are objectionable and some are not. MS sought an infringement upon the rights of owners of physical goods that is without precedent in the console industry (PC has all sorts of crazy DRM which doesn't seem to do much but be a headache for the law abiding).

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

[I am not saying that the developers and publishers should get any money from used game sales. First Sale Doctrine says that once it is sold, they lose all rights to any other funds related to said product. That also means that a consumer can sell said item to another party. It does not give another party the right to make a profit from reselling a product that they previously sold either. It's one thing to sell the game via Craigslist or eBay, but entirely another when a company is making ~ 50% of its profits from said sales.

I agree, publishers can do more to restrict those sales and in a way, MS was almost on the right track. Sony and MS can do more to help both gamers and publishers while restricting Gamestop. Tying the games to a persons account with a CD key that can be removed from the account or transferred to a different person is one way to go. Until they do, they do not have much room to complain about it.

WhiteKnight77

Actually, that is precisely what it does.

The GameStop model is hardly new; back when music stores flourished, used CD's and even DVD's were the norm and they too represented a significant revenue stream for retailers who embraced the model.

Your personal distain for the GameStop model is entirely irrelevant; the law protects that model as viable. First-Sale Doctrine doesn't distinguish between a person selling their own used copy of a game versus a company selling thousands of used copies. First-Sale doctrine is largely predicated on the freedom to transfer ownership of physical property and once a customer relinquishes that ownership to GS the company has every legal right to resell it for a profit.

That is precisely why publishers and developers are pushing digital distribution; it effectively circumvents First-Sale Doctrine by making it impossible to transfer ownership to someone else.

MS was trying to take that model one step further by forcing physical copies to be tied to a specific machine/account while also forcing online verification every 24 hours.

I have no problem with digital distribution assuming that I as the consumer enjoy some benefits for going digital, namely a significant price drop to offset the fact that I cannot resell the software should I not want to keep it.

GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 GalvatronType_R

Ghost_Face
So you're okay continuing giving your business to someone who tried to screw you over? You would go back to a mechanic who insisted on several repairs to your car even though your car was in perfect working order? If so, awesome, you are the perfect customer/mark/rube, I will call you up when I start a business. Again, on a side note, why hasn't anyone (besides Adam Orth) at MS been fired for this yet? Despite the backtracking, this will cost them millions of dollars in lost sales and I can't think of a better reason to fire someone than that.
xgraderx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 xgraderx
Member since 2008 • 2395 Posts

This is good news,they showed alot of good games at E3 and to the people scared they could bring this back later...this has been a nightmare for MS and bringing this back later would destroy their brand.They wont do that.