Microsoft 180: Xbox One will NOT have ANY Used Games or Online DRM.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#51 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69345 Posts

Is this a dream? Amazing news, although I get the feeling that Sony's humiliation of them during E3 probably had more influence on this decision than the collective gaming audience. I'm still not planning on getting an Xbox One, although I may reconsider if they keep up the good news. Next up, let's talk about Kinect being "mandatory" and that $500 price tag...1PMrFister

Again don't underestimate the power of the consumer. When your unreleased product is under fire by most everyone one on the internet because of a policy you are in trouble. Consumer perception is very powerful and it is the core reason for Apple's dominance in select markets. You can't have all this negative feedback on an unreleased product and expect to succeed.

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts

[QUOTE="1PMrFister"]Is this a dream? Amazing news, although I get the feeling that Sony's humiliation of them during E3 probably had more influence on this decision than the collective gaming audience. I'm still not planning on getting an Xbox One, although I may reconsider if they keep up the good news. Next up, let's talk about Kinect being "mandatory" and that $500 price tag...Pedro

Again don't underestimate the power of the consumer. When your unreleased product is under fire by most everyone one on the internet because of a policy you are in trouble. Consumer perception is very powerful and it is the core reason for Apple's dominance in select markets. You can't have all this negative feedback on an unreleased product and expect to succeed.

This is the same MS who said if you don't like the online connection, get a 360. People should not be jumping into bed with MS straight away.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Pedro

This is the same MS who said if you don't like the online connection, get a 360. People should not be jumping into bed with MS straight away. MonoSilver

I am not saying people should. I know I am not. You;as in MS, don't try to rape me, change your mind and say lets just cuddle. :D

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#54 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Pants were shat at microsoft HQ

By the way, it still requires internet in order to be activated una tantum. They also revoked that 10 people sharing lie, is that correct?

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
Wow, they finally listened to consumers.
MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 MonoSilver

[QUOTE="MonoSilver"] This is the same MS who said if you don't like the online connection, get a 360. People should not be jumping into bed with MS straight away. Pedro

I am not saying people should. I know I am not. You;as in MS, don't try to rape me, change your mind and say lets just cuddle. :D

Why didn't they just do this to begin with though? They've treated us like idiots since the Xone announcement and basically said "we're right, you're wrong". The PS4 is still the better console for me.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#57 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
This is huge news! I would much rather their machine over the PS4 anyways so i'm very happy. Much better games ahoy! Still not sure i'm getting either console though.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Pedro

Why didn't they just do this to begin with though? They've treated us like idiots since the Xone announcement and basically said "we're right, you're wrong". The PS4 is still the better console for me.MonoSilver

Its my understanding that they are the number one console on the market. Such status can affect the perception of any person or company; Blackberry I am looking at you. They wanted to have more control over the market and this was their way of accomplishing that task. The unfortunate thing is that they still going to accomplish their goal but not to its entirety. I would not be surprised when they purposely make disc shortages to coerce folks into purchasing their games digitally. 

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#59 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Microsoft just prevented a great loss of their consumers. The Microsoft Xbox One now interests me a little as a purchase. I still need to see more games than those shown at the 2013 Electronic Entertainment Expo to be sure it is a video game console worth purchasing.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Black_Knight_00
Why didn't they just do this to begin with though? They've treated us like idiots since the Xone announcement and basically said "we're right, you're wrong". The PS4 is still the better console for me.MonoSilver
They were trying to muscle you into accepting their policies. In the end they ended up muscled. Pretty pathetic I must say: at least Sony managed to fall on their feet, on the PR side, even though they were probably planning something similar.
1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#61 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

[QUOTE="1PMrFister"]Is this a dream? Amazing news, although I get the feeling that Sony's humiliation of them during E3 probably had more influence on this decision than the collective gaming audience. I'm still not planning on getting an Xbox One, although I may reconsider if they keep up the good news. Next up, let's talk about Kinect being "mandatory" and that $500 price tag...Pedro

This is true, although I have to wonder if they still would have backpedaled had Sony not made a mockery of their console and went with similar DRM policies instead.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#62 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

OMG. MORE TO COME????

Price Drop? No Kinect?

Do it!!!!!!!!

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#63 BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

I'm not gonig to appluad Microsoft for a job well done on the latest news. Why? It shouldn't happen in the first place.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Black_Knight_00
Has anyone ever seen a company completely scratch their market strategy and go back to the drawing board 5 months before launch? This has to be a first.
MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MonoSilver
[QUOTE="MonoSilver"]Why didn't they just do this to begin with though? They've treated us like idiots since the Xone announcement and basically said "we're right, you're wrong". The PS4 is still the better console for me.Black_Knight_00
They were trying to muscle you into accepting their policies. In the end they ended up muscled. Pretty pathetic I must say: at least Sony managed to fall on their feet, on the PR side, even though they were probably planning something similar.

I just hope people aren't going to get carried away and forget that the console still has mandatory Kinect, has a major focus on cloud gaming (which will mean always online for games that use it), no love for indies, is more expensive and is less powerful. It would take changing all of that for me to even contemplate ever getting one.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 S0lidSnake

Has anyone ever seen a company completely scratch their market strategy and go back to the drawing board 5 months before launch? This has to be a first.Black_Knight_00

Nope. But it's refreshing to see it happen. It's tough for these huge cooporations to set their ego aside and admit their mistakes. It's tough for these coorporations to do the opposite of what they thought would earn them profit. MS does deserve some credit here.

Look at Nintendo. They had nearly a year and a half after they first announced their console to scrap the tablet or make the console a bit more powerful. They did not.

Sony introduced PS3 at E3 2005, a full 18 months before it launched. ALl they had to do was replace the expensive nearly $300 Bluray drive, but they did not.

MS changed their policy in less than a month with only five more months till launch.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 S0lidSnake

Day 1 patch will allow you to play your games offline.

WHat the hell? They havent even started manufacturing these consoles yet. Why not add this functionality in?

This way they will just be able to patch it a year from now and enable all the DRMs. WTF?

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#68 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I think it is amazing that they backtracked so quickly. I think they were hoping that the games they showed at E3 would change people's minds about the system.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Pedro

Day 1 patch will allow you to play your games offline.

WHat the hell? They havent even started manufacturing these consoles yet. Why not add this functionality in?

This way they will just be able to patch it a year from now and enable all the DRMs. WTF?

S0lidSnake

They had full intentions of implementing the system without reservation. This change of "heart" requires games under the "old" system to be updated to the new standard.

Also they can just reduce the supply of disc on the market instead of re-implementing DRM. Just remember all their games are available for download day one.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Has anyone ever seen a company completely scratch their market strategy and go back to the drawing board 5 months before launch? This has to be a first.S0lidSnake

Nope. But it's refreshing to see it happen. It's tough for these huge cooporations to set their ego aside and admit their mistakes. It's tough for these coorporations to do the opposite of what they thought would earn them profit. MS does deserve some credit here.

Look at Nintendo. They had nearly a year and a half after they first announced their console to scrap the tablet or make the console a bit more powerful. They did not.

Sony introduced PS3 at E3 2005, a full 18 months before it launched. ALl they had to do was replace the expensive nearly $300 Bluray drive, but they did not.

MS changed their policy in less than a month with only five more months till launch.

This is a victory for consumers at large. We said no and the faceless corporation had to pull its pants down. I must admit: I never saw this coming. That Amazon poll must have really scared the shit out of them. Today microsoft is our bitch. I'm still not going to buy an Xbone, because 1) I don't trust them (what is this, version #3 in one month?) and 2) I'm playing The Last of Us right now and I'm more and more convinced that right now there's nowhere else for me to go other than Sony. Microsoft will have to try *really* hard to convince me to give up Sony's exclusives.
N3MO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71 N3MO
Member since 2002 • 20333 Posts
Wow, they finally listened to consumers.Travo_basic
I don't think it was the customers they were listening too. If that was the case they wouldn't have even revealed the DRM scheme they wanted to use.
gameboy343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 gameboy343
Member since 2005 • 1024 Posts

excellent, i'll probably get one somewhere down the road when it drops to 300 or less.
now if only we could something about that kinect...

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 MonoSilver
[QUOTE="Travo_basic"]Wow, they finally listened to consumers.N3MO
I don't think it was the customers they were listening too. If that was the case they wouldn't have even revealed the DRM scheme they wanted to use.

Exactly. If they really cared about us they would not have gotten themselves into this mess to begin with. This is done purely because they've realised they won't sell as many as they'd like. Let us not forget the past few months.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Black_Knight_00
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#75 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts

Amazing news. Good to see them thinking smartly for a change. The announcement is supposed to happen sometime today, so we'll know soon enough if its true.

c_rake
Thinking smartly? more like scared sh*tless of the impending utter failure the Xbox One was going to be, with so many people, even long fan Xbox fans, declaring their aversion for the machine and its policies, MS had to change course or end up with another Zune in their hands. Still not buying one.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#76 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

So now they're just underpowered and overpriced?

Doesn't matter to me -- I've seen the nature of the company, and there's no guarantee that they won't try this shlt again after they hook a bunch of people. 

I'm fvcking done with these scumbags. 

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Shame-usBlackley

Actually, fire Don Mattrick and I may (MAY) consider buying one when it's $49.99 or ten years have passed, whichever comes first. :)

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Shame-usBlackley

While they're busy reimaging their busted system, they should totally rename it the Xbox 180.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Black_Knight_00

While they're busy reimaging their busted system, they should totally rename it the Xbox 180.

Shame-usBlackley
Xbox U (turn) :P
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I folks truely believe that the power of the consumer is null, this is an example of consumers making strides with their potential dollar.

Pedro

Yep. Vote with your wallet - it works.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="N3MO"][QUOTE="Travo_basic"]Wow, they finally listened to consumers.MonoSilver

Exactly. If they really cared about us they would not have gotten themselves into this mess to begin with. This is done purely because they've realised they won't sell as many as they'd like. Let us not forget the past few months.

In that case consumers are exactly who they were listening to.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Shame-usBlackley

I sort of feel bad for the people who shilled for Microsoft when they were planning to kill the video game industry. Microsoft can try to change its policies, but for those people there's no way to go back and undo that awful decision. All it's done is reinforced my initial perceptions about people that said "Meh, I don't care about DRM and I like Kinect, I'm buying an Xbone." Trust = 0.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="MonoSilver"][QUOTE="N3MO"] I don't think it was the customers they were listening too. If that was the case they wouldn't have even revealed the DRM scheme they wanted to use. worlock77

In that case consumers are exactly who they were listening to.

Not them so much as shareholders. I mean, the writing was on the wall everywhere. It was going to be a fvcking massacre, and everyone knew it. Don Mattrick looked like Stubbs the Zombie in his infamous "buy a 360 if you want an offline device" interview. 

Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#84 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts
Yep, it's day one now.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#85 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

unbelievable stuff. Simply incredible.

They still have a weaker console that costs an extra $100 so I still wont buy buying it Day 1, but this is a step in the right direction.

S0lidSnake
yeah, it still has Kinect
_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

Holy crap, this is huge. Glad to see they're finally changing their minds about their drm, though I have to admit it was entertaining to see Microsoft trying to spin it like a good thing. So much for that shared game family plan though.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 S0lidSnake

I sort of feel bad for the people who shilled for Microsoft when they were planning to kill the video game industry. Microsoft can try to change its policies, but for those people there's no way to go back and undo that awful decision. All it's done is reinforced my initial perceptions about people that said "Meh, I don't care about DRM and I like Kinect, I'm buying an Xbone." Trust = 0.

Shame-usBlackley

There is nothing wrong with liking Kinect. And there is definitely nothing wrong with people who dont care for DRM. If you can afford to buy a new game at full price then why should you care about DRM? 

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#88 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

So now they're just underpowered and overpriced?

Doesn't matter to me -- I've seen the nature of the company, and there's no guarantee that they won't try this shlt again after they hook a bunch of people. 

I'm fvcking done with these scumbags. 

Shame-usBlackley

Yeah, I was decidedly not buying one well before the DRM stuff was announced.  Although I am not 100% against buying the system, but they have to prove to me that they have a committment to games and not timed exclusives either.  I'm holding out AT LEAST 2.5-3 years where I can see whether their support dries up or not or whether they turn ultra casual again and ditch their loyal consumers, which is generally the timeframe that this stuff happened in the past.

The sad thing is they won't ever have superior multiplats so it would be a purchase based 100% on exclusives.  I can already see how the PC is going to get a great majority of their "exclusives" and I have a great PC.  Its a tough sell, I don't think they have it in them.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

S0lidSnake

There is nothing wrong with liking Kinect. And there is definitely nothing wrong with people who dont care for DRM. If you can afford to buy a new game at full price then why should you care about DRM? 

Because it needlessly constrains other people who can't buy new who would buy the new game I bought and sold used, thus killing off trade potential for me down the road. If someone doesn't care about DRM, they are an enemy to console gaming as far as I'm concerned. I have no use for them. Besides that, it's an asshole thing to do, and thus I think proponents of it are assholes as well. 

And there IS something wrong with liking Kinect because it has never shown itself to be a worthy (or even tertiary) control construct. Having that piece of shlt swirling around doesn't help gaming in any way, because it robs resources and focus from people making and demanding games that DO control accurately. It's been three years and it's done nothing but shlt up a bunch of shelf space.

So yeah....

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Something else that no one is thinking about, the impact on developers and the games that are already in the works that are due to be released at launch. They will have to go back and rework code that was to be used by the always online connection. That could very well push games back.

I also do not see major differences outside of what GPU and RAM is being used. Both are supposedly using an AMD Jaguar based CPU which is an x86-64 based chip. Both are featuring 8GB of RAM though of different architecture. I really didn't pay attention E3 as nothing interested me so I haven't seen screens, nor any videos recorded there (compression issues can't show the true nature of the real visuals). Hardware wise, they are not that far apart, and worse, closer to being PCs.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#91 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I was never a staunch opponent of any of these restrictions simply because they didn't affect me in any way. I am already always online with all my devices. I live in Sonyland so I don't have anyone to share games with. In fact, the online sharing was infinitely better for me which most likely won't happen now. I almost always buy new because it's new and you can almost always find it almost as cheap as used.

But the majority obviously didn't like it. In that sense, it's good that Microsoft acted appropriately. They're sending a message that they listen and care about consumer feedback and most importantly, they're sending a message that they're not too arrogant to have a change of heart. That's a big deal.

For me personally, the only major hurdle was and still is the price.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 UpInFlames

By the way...Sony is looking pretty shitty at the moment. Microsoft backed down on all the restrictions and Sony introduced an online paywall. So now Sony is the only one who made their new console shittier than the last. And Microsoft completely schooled Sony with games at E3.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Black_Knight_00
And there is definitely nothing wrong with people who dont care for DRM. If you can afford to buy a new game at full price then why should you care about DRM? S0lidSnake
There's a world of wrong: by cutting off peer to peer trading, they were going to create a monopoly in concert with gamestop. Which means they had you by the balls and your games would have been worth a fraction of their value mere minutes after purchase.
alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 alexwatchtower
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts

WORST NEWS EVER!

DIGITAL GAME SHARING GONE.

Now i get to share my games with no one thanks to a bunch of whiney people that didn't understand.

Congratulations:(

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Black_Knight_00

WORST NEWS EVER!

DIGITAL GAME SHARING GONE.

Now i get to share my games with no one thanks to a bunch of whiney people that didn't understand.

Congratulations:(

alexwatchtower
It was never going to be there to begin with. I told you so man.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 UpInFlames

No no no. Didnt you hear UIF and GME....It was just a business decision. Gaf and you are worthless and changed nothing.

S0lidSnake

Stop mentioning my name around the forums. Especially talking shit about stuff I never said.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]And there is definitely nothing wrong with people who dont care for DRM. If you can afford to buy a new game at full price then why should you care about DRM? Black_Knight_00
There's a world of wrong: by cutting off peer to peer trading, they were going to create a monopoly in concert with gamestop. Which means they had you by the balls and your games would have been worth a fraction of their value mere minutes after purchase.

I understand the implications. I just dont understand why I should dislike someone because they did not have a problem with a certain policy that does not affect them at all. 

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

No no no. Didnt you hear UIF and GME....It was just a business decision. Gaf and you are worthless and changed nothing.

UpInFlames

Stop mentioning my name around the forums. Especially talking shit about stuff I never said.

Obviously it was GAF who got Microsoft to reverse their decision. They just save the industry--- twice man, god get with it. /wrists
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

Shame-usBlackley

Because it needlessly constrains other people who can't buy new who would buy the new game I bought and sold used, thus killing off trade potential for me down the road. If someone doesn't care about DRM, they are an enemy to console gaming as far as I'm concerned. I have no use for them. Besides that, it's an asshole thing to do, and thus I think proponents of it are assholes as well. 

I cant afford a Ferrari. Should I go shit on people who can? Why should they refuse to buy a Ferrari because it's too expensive for someone like me? 

Dont get me wrong. I hate the people who said this was a good thing. Watching all these MS apologists shitting up the boards the last few weeks drove me insane. You have no idea how upset I got. BUT there is a difference b/w someone who tried to justify DRM vs someone who just shrugged it off since it didnt apply to them.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

GodModeEnabled

Obviously it was GAF who got Microsoft to reverse their decision. They just save the industry--- twice man, god get with it. /wrists

tumblr_m9yh41EMiJ1qedb29o1_500.gif