Metal Gear Solid V Will Feature Less Cutscenes than Previous Metal Gear Solids

This topic is locked from further discussion.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Kojima-san has stated the newest Metal Gear Solid will contain less cutscenes than before.

Kojima Productions is mixing things up for Metal Gear Solid V. During a roundtable discussion, Hideo Kojima promised that fewer cutscenes will be included compared to its predecessor.

Im sure youre worried about if the cutscenes are as long as Metal Gear Solid 4. Since this time around were using an open world environment, (Metal Gear Solid V will have) less cutscenes [than before].

Kojima continued his point by drawing the analogy of Metal Gear Solid 1-4 acting as movies whereas The Phantom Pain is more like a TV series.

If you think of Metal Gear Solids 1-4 as movies, [The Phantom Pain] is going to be like a TV series with episodes. (Each episode breaks down into a non-linear missions with that eventually) come together to complete the story we have designed.

Kojima added: Phantom Pain is the big game, and included in that is the prologue, Ground Zeroes.

GamingEverything

Link to the article

What are your reactions and responses?

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#2 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

He went overboard with MGS4. Good to see fewer cutscenes this time around. He definitely needs an editor who needs to make sure the biggest cutscene isnt longer than 5 minutes. 

I like the tv episode comparison as well. Games are too long to follow the 3 act movie formula. Most games suffer from pacing issues precisely because they cant sustain the awesomeness for 8-12 hours. Having 1-2 hour episodes with a climax in each episode is the best way to tell a long video game story.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Will someone get Satan on the phone for a confirmation? Cause I think hell just froze over.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#4 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

This is a good thing IMO. They can focus on fleshing out the gameplay more.  The stealth in MGS is solid but could be oh so much better.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

The problem was never the length of the cutscenes but the way in which they messed up the pacing of the game. MGS3 didn't have such a big issue with them outside of the first few hours because it tended to leave you on your own without constant interruptions (even though the cutscenes, when they did come, were long).

The way commentary is delivered on your surroundings as you move (rather than freezing and forcing you to listen to a Codec) looks like it will go some way towards smoothing out the pacing.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
Took him long enough, although I disagree. I don't want cutscenes at all.
marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Really looking foward to MGS V. From all the games at E3, this one stayed with me the most.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#9 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Really looking foward to MGS V. From all the games at E3, this one stayed with me the most.

marcheegsr

I'll admit, the original trailer with Not Your Kind of People was incredible.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 branketra
This is very old news. He has said this many times before. If he had a round table I am sure he actually gave new info.dvader654
Is three months what is considered "very old" now? Regardless of how old it is, I was not part of that discussion. I would like to talk about it now if that is okay with everyone.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts
so unlike MGS4, will you be able to take more than five steps before being subject to an hour-long cutscene with mooing Metal Gears and soda-drinking monkeys?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#13 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

He's just figuring out that MGS4 had too many cutscenes?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69457 Posts

Will someone get Satan on the phone for a confirmation? Cause I think hell just froze over.GodModeEnabled

I say its IMPOSSIBLE cause he is mentally incapable of accomplishing such a task.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Thank God! The cutscenes can become so drawn out in the series. I just finished MGS3 at about 14 hours and I think 50% of that was watching cutscenes.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Great!!!...cause if 5 had the amount of cutscenes 4 had, means I won't be buying it...Im buying a game not a freaking movie. :P

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Kojima also said the exact same thing about MGSIV

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Will someone get Satan on the phone for a confirmation? Cause I think hell just froze over.

Can't get Satan, but we do have photographic confirmation.
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Probablly due to the open world aspect chewing up game time, so playing vs movie watching is more balanced.

Kind of a pity though, I love the movie aspect of MGS. To me its part of what makes a MGS game a MGS, its part of its personality and what sets it apart from other games. If I want more stealth and more action I can always play a game where that is its strong point, I play MGS because I want the games universe and unique style.

I even loved the movie heavy MGS4. Oh well, I just hope he doesnt sacrifice the games style for the sake of trying to appeal to a wider audience or get on the sandbox wagon.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Probablly due to the open world aspect chewing up game time, so playing vs movie watching is more balanced.

Kind of a pity though, I love the movie aspect of MGS. To me its part of what makes a MGS game a MGS, its part of its personality and what sets it apart from other games. If I want more stealth and more action I can always play a game where that is its strong point, I play MGS because I want the games universe and unique style.

I even loved the movie heavy MGS4. Oh well, I just hope he doesnt sacrifice the games style for the sake of trying to appeal to a wider audience or get on the sandbox wagon.

Gargus
sounds like you wished it were a movie instead
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
Saying there's less cutscenes in comparison to 4 gives me no reassurance at all. Hell, unless Kojima learns to write a decent and well told narrative and either learns what an editor does or hires one, I don't care how much shorter these cutscenes are. If they're similar to 4, one minute is 60 seconds too long.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 branketra

I actually like the cutscenes in previous Metal Gear Solids and I include MGS4 when saying this because my opinion is they are entertaining and immersive to a certain extent. They are not as immersive as gameplay, but they do feature moments I give my attention to in a comparable way. Kojima-san's presentation style of dramatic dialogue is supported by or maybe even built upon cinematic scenes as a framework for the entirety of his gameplay to be an extension of his stories rather than stories being extensions of his gameplay design. An example of that is Psycho Mantis' psychic powers giving reason for players of Metal Gear Solid to change controller ports.

There is a video game I have in mind which tells a story without many high budget cutscenes and I was interested in it when I first played it. That game is Bastion. The story in Bastion is not organized to be as mysterious as a video game such as Metal Gear Solid, so in-game narration in the form of commentary works. I would say that the kind of storytelling in Bastion instead of cutscenes would make Metal Gear Solid a different game series.

With those things said, there are more cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid 4 than any other game I have played by far and I would not mind less cutscenes if the quality of scene content remains good.

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

But the cut scenes are half the fun! :(

Come on Kojima, to thine own verbose self be true.