Media outlets are boycotting Activision Blizzard. Should Gamespot do the same?

iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 iammason
Member since 2004 • 4189 Posts

In wake of allegations toward the mega company, a handful of media outlets have begun boycotting their games and coverage until more meaningful action has been taken.

I for one think Gamespot should join these websites in their mission as well. With more people, including men now, coming forward I believe they should be held accountable by not reporting any news. Actions speak louder than words, and an action like this on such a website will speak volumes.

SOURCE:

Some Gaming Websites, YouTube Channels Halt Coverage Of Activision Blizzard Games (kotaku.com)

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts

Personally, I'd prefer media distribution companies not make the decision for me. I come to Gamespot for news about gaming, and Activision/Blizzard is/are some of the biggest companies in gaming. If I don't want to follow them for non-gaming reasons, then I'll do so myself - but I have little interest in having my gaming related news withheld because an editorial staff wants to take a stance on something. Let them do that when it doesn't involve them making the decision for me.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

Well it has been known that Blizzard is filled with demeaning macho garbage for many, many years.

I recall word going around before World of Warcraft even released. However it is a two way streak, if you boycott Blizzard as noted. You are also boycotting Vicarious Visions who has really done nothing to deserve the treatment.

Same goes for Ubisoft, filled with many disgusting individuals who I hope go to jail and/ or fired. Yet let us be true to ourselves, the team behind Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World: Video Game; Tribute Games are not the issue. They the little people suffering for corporate corruption.

The games people should be boycotting from both these publishers break records (WoW, Assassins, etc), so no justice in any real sense honestly. Internet will just complain and they'll get a slap on the wrist. . .

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

Boycotts are tricky because they end up hurting people that just need a job. The people that need to pay the price rarely do and the shit just trickles down until the people below that had nothing to do with it are the one's paying it.

It's why corporations are such a terrible thing and should not exist.

Companies, yes.

Corporations, no.

So I guess I do support the boycott (and lawsuit) if it means breaking up ABK into tiny little pieces and making them into non-corporation.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

They should boycott them yes, but they should do some journalistic work too instead of just being a marketing tool disguised as a news outlet.

NukleaWorfair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6 NukleaWorfair
Member since 2009 • 475 Posts

@iammason said:

In wake of allegations toward the mega company.

allegation definition:

a claim or assertion that someone has done something illegal or wrong, typically one made without proof.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1392 Posts

@NukleaWorfair said:
@iammason said:

In wake of allegations toward the mega company.

allegation definition:

a claim or assertion that someone has done something illegal or wrong, typically one made without proof.

Then you re expected to go ballistic and pass judgement, follow the media mob, because of naughty fratboy attitude.

When reading the bloomberg article it reads like a check list. Unequal pay... as unequal as the others claim to be, sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I honestly don't believe anything detrimental will happen to Activision Blizzard even if more boycott them. They're a corporation with so much money they can withstand backlash until the short term outrage mindset blows over and people continue buying the newest COD and candy crush micro-transactions.

I mean, with the massive tax break in 2019 they made $447 million in profits but paid ZERO in taxes AND got a tax rebate of $243 million and STILL shed 800 jobs. You can effectively boycott every Activision blizzard game and they still make money off of you because you still pay them in taxes. Nobody was outraged or boycotting them then, because personal entertainment is more important to the average individual than a moral sense of value or anger over corporate loopholes.