sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#1 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

Gamespot admin plis. Limit new users ability to create threads or just delist/close game discussion subforum from appearing on front page.

Avatar image for deactivated-618d30ef10fc3
deactivated-618d30ef10fc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-618d30ef10fc3
Member since 2021 • 90 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Gamespot admin plis. Limit new users ability to create threads or just delist/close game discussion subforum from appearing on front page.

To me, it's not a good idea.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

@silencedman2016 said:
@sakaixx said:

To me, it's not a good idea.

We had plans to do it. GD isn't really that active anymore and only SW is just more fun to go by. Even Sports Bar is a deadzone and the same for Retro Gaming but than again, the plan was to get rid of Retro Gaming and just post any retro stuff into GD is what was supposed to happen.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

if you delist Game Discussion the spam will be heavier in other forums.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-618d30ef10fc3

@davillain-: I am so going to miss this board!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator

@silencedman2016: No final decision hasn't been made yet. For all we know it could be a year before anything changes.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#7 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

Well if Games Discussion goes? I would too. It's the only thing that keeps me here, certainly not the awful reviews.

While few in number GD tend to be fun chats. And actually about gaming. Not negative meme fluff. GD is high in large expressing our love for the hobby, both loosely and critically. and that's not easy enough for the average lazy user, they just want to post "lol" and c&p statements over and over.

However I understand forums require active users, this entire site is paid high-in-large from advertising departments. And no-clicks, means no profit. Quantity> quality/ trolls> gamers situation.

As such understand if Games Discussion is just not worth it. Talking about games with proper details and enthusiasm is dead. Here at least (I recommend looking into Discord gaming channels, which are really the way to go).

As such when GD goes, it has been a pleasure doods! Nothing lasts forever_

Happy gaming

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator

I hear you RSM-HQ and to be fair, the forums is the main reason why I come to Gamespot in the first place and not for the reviews or going to the comment section. System Wars, Off-Topic, Retro Gaming, and even Games Discussion are my domain of GS. If GS were to change the forums and leaving just SW or something like that, I would turn over my moderator badge and leave GS as its my only, only gaming site I come and I'll just use Twitter as I can get gaming news much faster and that's about it.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#9 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

Well if Games Discussion goes? I would too. It's the only thing that keeps me here, certainly not the awful reviews.

While few in number GD tend to be fun chats. And actually about gaming. Not negative meme fluff. GD is high in large expressing our love for the hobby, both loosely and critically. and that's not easy enough for the average lazy user, they just want to post "lol" and c&p statements over and over.

However I understand forums require active users, this entire site is paid high-in-large from advertising departments. And no-clicks, means no profit. Quantity> quality/ trolls> gamers situation.

As such understand if Games Discussion is just not worth it. Talking about games with proper details and enthusiasm is dead. Here at least (I recommend looking into Discord gaming channels, which are really the way to go).

As such when GD goes, it has been a pleasure doods! Nothing lasts forever_

Happy gaming

If this ever happens, you'll be missed! Always appreciated how you'd leave some fairly in-depth comments especially on my posts. Though, I haven't been actively posting many topics as of late. I'll have to look into Discord gaming channels myself. Only ever used Discord on and off to chat with friends but as you said, it's definitely become the norm for this kind of thing anyway.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RSM-HQ
@speeny said:

If this ever happens, you'll be missed! Though, I haven't been actively posting many topics as of late.

Think that's part of the appeal to me about Games Discussion, it's not really a sprint conversation/ debate with everyone who posts here. It's a marathon. We take our time and really put effort into what we post (well most the time).

Always appreciated how you'd leave some fairly in-depth comments especially on my posts.

Has been likewise Speeny. What comes to mind is our chats regarding Animal Crossing series and various 3D platformers.

And will continue till this forum rots away ツ

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Who the heck even considered shutting down GD? It's the only place on Gamespot to hold normal discussions about games for those that wish to avoid the ridiculously competitive console fanboys of SW.

Just restrict the ability to create threads for new users like @sakaixx said. This board has been brimming with spam every single day and the Gamespot administrators do nothing about it other than having mods delete the spam.

And if they want to get rid of a few boards then start with Sports Bar, Mobile Connection, Retro Gaming, etc. that are literal ghost towns.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Slow down everyone. GD isn't going anywhere.

The other dead forums are in jeopardy, and I think rightly so. The idea is to HELP GD by consolidating traffic.

But like Villain said, who knows when anything will actually happen, and nothing is official until the admins make it so.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#13 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@xantufrog: Are these forums even getting enough traffic nowadays to justify having sub-forums?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xantufrog  Moderator

@lucidique: not really, that's why we want to see them consolidated

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

There just isn't enough traffic to really justify both anymore. System Wars is the most popular board, and even that is slow these days. I'd say just keep one forum and eliminate the 'system wars' shtick because honestly it's just an excuse for a few people to troll. Most people just want a fun discussion about games. I think this is the future of Gamespot forums, if it continues to exist. Will be a sad day if they decide to just get rid of it all ☹ If System Wars was super busy, I can understand a second forum, but it's really declining and it would help to consolidate.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: nah, system wars users dont touch games discussion because everyone (except those peace loving weirdos) just want to troll and annoy eachother, and knows where to draw the line in other boards

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#17 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

Seeing all this spam on Games Discussion is really starting to get annoying and half the time filling up at least 1 or 2 pages worth per day

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#19 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

@girlusocrazy: That is true on that one I kind of noticed its the same users but with a different number at the end of each one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-618d30ef10fc3

@girlusocrazy: Yeah, the System Wars board only consists of a small number of users, constantly trash talk which causes this board to become so active along with the political gamers board.

Making a lot of users believe this site is extremely toxic as they would be afraid to visit the Games Discussion board.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-618d30ef10fc3

@girlusocrazy said:

@silencedman2016: Toxic is going a bit far. I'd say childish.

Not to mention the System Wars board is mostly apples to oranges.

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 498 Posts

system wars is filled with childish posters who want to annoy people for owning or liking a different gaming platform to what they have. The best advise was already said, stop new users with hardly any posts from being able to make new threads. GD is the best part about gamespot.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#24 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58851 Posts

Games Discussion is basically civil System Wars.

Which, by it's nature, is less attractive.

The irony being SW was created by Jeff Gerstmann to keep the undesirables in one place, and ended up being the most popular section.

Def agree the forum the needs compressed. GD isn't the least active forum, would still keep it around.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-618d30ef10fc3

@worlds_apart said:

system wars is filled with childish posters who want to annoy people for owning or liking a different gaming platform to what they have. The best advise was already said, stop new users with hardly any posts from being able to make new threads. GD is the best part about gamespot.

Yeah, the users in the System Wars board are very rude for trolling and annoying people for liking different things.

Hating/criticizing a product on what others like is a sign of trolling/rude thing to do.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 342 Posts

hmm lets see games discussion is supposed to be about discussing games and system wars is about fighting about what system is better I think. Why not just keep it at that ???

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-618d30ef10fc3

@Atomic1977 said:

hmm lets see games discussion is supposed to be about discussing games and system wars is about fighting about what system is better I think. Why not just keep it at that ???

It's a good idea to keep the Games Discussion board and we should stay on this board forever.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

@silencedman2016: i find with system wars the rabid fanboys just bicker with each other. there's plenty on there who just talk gaming. i'd recommend trying it, it's much busier than gd and could do with more users. i've tried to convince rsm to come over to sw but he's not budging

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-618d30ef10fc3

@Macutchi said:

@silencedman2016: i find with system wars the rabid fanboys just bicker with each other. there's plenty on there who just talk gaming. i'd recommend trying it, it's much busier than gd and could do with more users. i've tried to convince rsm to come over to sw but he's not budging

No thanks.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RSM-HQ
@Macutchi said:

tried to convince rsm to come over to sw but he's not budging

It is not as though I dislike everyone that uses System-Wars, as many here jump all around the various forums for activity.

That's fine. Just the tone is overall not the reason I come here, and prefer it dedicated to gaming. I can deal with arguments and disagreements, but when it gets off-topic and no longer about gaming, it is no different from scolding a child. I've seen many that don't even define the games in correct context either (Elite: Dangerous was once defined as a cinematic shooter), as such just throw a lot of gibberish on screen to 'win' a conversation. . what are they winning? a stupidity award

Being more busy is irrelevant to me, and found when the worst of SW leaks over here. Has resulted in time-sink conversations that are only intentionally aggro_

Pretty sure we all come with that one thing in common 'we like video games' as to how we want to express it varies however.

Users such as the one above doesn't even try to state why certain games are good, bad, or explain systems. Just wants to pick fights with 'what I bought, is better than your' and it always comes across as denial, from buyers remorse.

Overall I just don't care for the dick measuring contests. And to me that's what System-Wars primarily represents. I'm sure quite a few are really jolly users with a lot of good to talk about, but when it becomes a "lol" spamming more than not, it's no better than twitter.

And I don't use twitter.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Macutchi

@RSM-HQ: i understand your reasons mate.

@silencedman2016 said:
@Macutchi said:

No thanks.

we didn't want you anyway

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@Macutchi: I don't think anyone should be "expected" to go over there. I personally believe we need to keep both GD and SW because some people just don't want to deal with that shit - even if you're right that maybe half the posters there do try to engage on a deeper and more general games discussion level.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Macutchi
@xantufrog said:

even if you're right that maybe half the posters there do try to engage on a deeper and more general games discussion level.

wow wow don't put words in my mouth. i never said half lol

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xantufrog  Moderator

@Macutchi: sorry - handful ;-)

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8762 Posts

Sheesh! Five pages of spam. It's getting worse.

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 zyxe  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 5343 Posts

We're on it. See who gets the high score today!!!

Moar coffee....