Max Payne 3 launched 10 years ago around this time what are your memories of it?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I can't believe Max Payne 3 is 10 years old already it's crazy. I started replaying it a week ago and the game still holds up amazingly well I can't think of a game since then where the gunplay has felt so satisfying. I still remember picking up the physical PC version at my local Best Buy it was one of the last physical PC games that I ever got. Anyways what are your memories of playing Max Payne 3?

The soundtrack is so good.

I think of that airport level everytime I hear this it just shows how important music can be in a game. I got chills down my spine the first time I heard this one of those rare memorable moments.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58393 Posts

I remember being happy when the family I was supposed to protect kept getting killed. Fucking socialites.

It's also a better game than people care to admit, I feel. It was solid, fun, gritty, and enjoyable.

It did the series justice.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts

Mainly soundtrack.

Gameplay so-so. Prefer originals.

But I don't "hate it" like some folk. Still good game.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7255 Posts

Great game still looks good to this day.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Character dialogue in the MP especially the line where someone is chastised for not knowing the name of a drink. The death of the individual stacked in tires and lit up like a hot dog. The game was quite enjoyable and there has to be more Max Payne story to tell in the future.

I don't presume it is b.c. on XSX?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I really need to go back and replay it at some point, had a lot of fun with it back on the ps3.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 robert_sparkes

@Solaryellow: it was added to the BC list.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44301 Posts

Still have the Xbox 360 version. Thought it was a good game.

Watch_My_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Watch_My_6
Member since 2007 • 297 Posts

Unskippable Cutscenes.

Why isn't this in New York?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@Watch_My_6 said:

Unskippable Cutscenes.

You can skip some cutscenes but I agree that's my only real negative of the game especially since it's such a replayable game.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 robert_sparkes

I might just pick it up and at it to my digital library because it's that good. Really hyped for the remakes.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I remember it not being very good and seeming to miss the point of what people loved about the first two. It replaced surrealistic noir with edge-lord nihilism that I'm sure some teenager thought was deep and poignant.

@Watch_My_6 said:

Unskippable Cutscenes.

Also this. I remember one part I kept dying at towards the end and I kept having to sit through the cutscene that played before the checkpoint every freakin' time. I ended up quitting before I beat it over crap like that.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 GNS
Member since 2015 • 922 Posts

My memories of it was thinking that it would be a good Bruce Willis movie (especially when he shaved his head). That's about it.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Too many cutscenes. Couldn't play for too long.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2455 Posts

Once in a while I look at my videos and remember. Still confused that a small number of them that got so many views. The one below is at 115,000. I'm tempted to install again. But I know there aren't enough new players anymore to rape as much as I want.

Loading Video...

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2455 Posts
Loading Video...

Uploaded this one a few days ago. Really don't understand why so many shooters after Max Payne 3 downgraded their shoulder swapping. Screw Naughty Dog, screw Ubisoft, screw Rockstar. Unless it isn't the kind of action/shooter game has the camera centered off the shoulder, there is no excuse not to fully enable it.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4384 Posts

hated it. neve could get past stadium area.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#18 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts

Never played a Max Payne, not out of disinterest, just flew under my radar, and feel that if I dive-in should start with the first, I've looked into doing so a few times, and MP1 looks like a product of its time, a very story game with questionable gameplay.

Fans seem to think the third is better than Vanquish as a third person shooter, and that's certainly a statement.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@RSM-HQ said:

Never played a Max Payne, not out of disinterest, just flew under my radar, and feel that if I dive-in should start with the first, I've looked into doing so a few times, and MP1 looks like a product of its time, a very story game with questionable gameplay.

Fans seem to think the third is better than Vanquish as a third person shooter, and that's certainly a statement.

Max Payne 1 feels pretty dated but the atomphere and story are it's strongest strengths. If I was going to recommend a Max Payne game to start with I go with 2 but just not the PS2 version it looks and plays the worst compared to the PC version being the best and I think xbox version is passable from the footage I've seen of it. Gameplay wise Max Payne 2 is less stiff and fluid and the ragdoll physics engine in the game is over the top fun and really impressive for it's time.

Loading Video...

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RSM-HQ

@warmblur: Always got the impression Max Payne was a P.C. franchise much like Deus Ex or D00M so I probably would take original intent over questionable ports. Not against the idea but depending on the port and generation, harsh compromises are made.

Story rarely wins me to a games appeal but never say never, I once wrote off Bioware and went to play the Mass Effect Collection; having a lot of fun with the games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@RSM-HQ said:

@warmblur: Always got the impression Max Payne was a P.C. franchise much like Deus Ex or D00M so I probably would take original intent over questionable ports. Not against the idea but depending on the port and generation, harsh compromises are made.

Story rarely wins me to a games appeal but never say never, I once wrote off Bioware and went to play the Mass Effect Collection; having a lot of fun with the games.

You are right the first two Max Payne games where built from the ground up on PC and then later ported to consoles. The PC versions are the way to go easily I just wasn't sure if you where a PC gamer or console one or both. Also I think Max Payne 2 is a much more fun game then the first one due to how fluid the combat feels. It's one of those games where I always do quick save before a gunfight just to play that section again because of how fun and unpredictable the firefights and ragdoll physics are it's alot like F.E.A.R. in those regards if you liked that game.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RSM-HQ

@warmblur: I tend to like both console and P.C. gaming, could play any modern platform and have a good time; assuming the game itself is fun. I'm more cautious of publishers and developers than the device I'm playing games on.

Prefer to use my P.C. for keyboard and mouse experiences, and while I have played gamepad games on P.C. I tend to gravitate to console one way or another for pad. Sometimes it could be community reasons too, port quality, etc. I don't enjoy first person games on console for example either.

Expressed my thoughts a few times on the matter why both console and P.C. is a good gaming experience, with downsides on both ends in some areas.

Personally find platform bias a silly debate for those who feel the need to compare plastic trinkets. Usually as a desperate cry for attention, simply more interesting things to debate in regards to gaming.

Also I think Max Payne 2 is a much more fun game then the first one due to how fluid the combat feels.

It is my assumption that MP 2 would at least be superior gameplay-wise. Direct sequels are usually a developer building on a foundation to greater heights and polish. Even if they lose something from the original it's typically worth the trade-off.

Don't know how Max Payne will pan-out whenever I give them a try. But I do feel it's a series that benefits from the beginning going forward. Have little doubt the sequels improve one way or another. It's very rare the second game in a series is bad. Deus Ex: Invisible War & Devil May Cry 2 spring to mind, yet they're rare cases.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#24 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts

Good musical beats.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

I really enjoyed it.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 robert_sparkes

I thought it was amazing a great playthrough. I usually run through it once a year.

bonuspanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bonuspanic
Member since 2022 • 19 Posts

i only played through it once but i gotta go back to the series at some point.

gritty, violent, FUN. that's how I remember it.