Mattel Hyperscan: Officially worst game system ever.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts
Yes, there was video game system that was worse than the Atari Jaguar, Phillips CDI or Gizmodo. Courtesy of Mark from ClassicGameRoom, here it is (and boy, is it bad): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAPJ-9ERMVs&sns=em
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#2 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
I remember when they were advertised. Damn!
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#3 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

HyperScan kinda seems like it could have worked--a low cost console w/ features geared towards kids--so it is kind of a drag that it turned out so awful in the end. I would love it if someone came out w/ a low-end console for gamers/adults that focussed on old school 2D gameplay.

Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

HyperScan kinda seems like it could have worked--a low cost console w/ features geared towards kids--so it is kind of a drag that it turned out so awful in the end. I would love it if someone came out w/ a low-end console for gamers/adults that focussed on old school 2D gameplay.

logicalfrank
Ouya?
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

The Hyperscan was more of a gimmick for kids kind of like a plug n play or a leap pad. Calling it an actual comnsole is a stretch in my personal opinion, although some people could argue that it is. I kind of dont even consider the game.com to be a a serious handheld either. They were just trying to cash in on passing trends. I still remember seeing Hyperscans at my local Walmart in the clearance aisle brand new for like $15 and the games being clearanced out for like $2 or $3. I thought about getting one and some games just for the point of collecting however I never jumped on it. I will eventualy own it all though, I am sure of it.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
I can think of something much worse, the tyger R-zone... I owned one of those and actually threw it in the garbage
Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Dj-Dampleaf
Member since 2012 • 730 Posts
Yes, there was video game system that was worse than the Atari Jaguar, Phillips CDI or Gizmodo. Courtesy of Mark from ClassicGameRoom, here it is (and boy, is it bad): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAPJ-9ERMVs&sns=emChiefFreeman
The jaguar was bad? Also the Hyperscan was bad? it wasn't bad it failed, most of its games were playable and was targeting young kids like the Wii, but ONLY young kids. It failed because of no advertising, and stupid deals with places like Radioshack that drained funding. It flopped but bad? No. At this point thought I can say Mattel may be the most innovative console maker of all time despite most of which being failures in sales. If they tried harder they could have gotten this through, but they gave that division like a set-budget of crap amounts of money or so I hear.
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

Cataclism

Ouya?

I would certainly hope that the Ouya has better success. For one, I know I am going to buy the Ouya, and I was never that interested in the HyperScan. I'm calling it now that the Ouya will be MASSIVELY successful. However if I wind up being wrong I will be the first to admit I was wrong.

Yeah that is a good answer to that post though.

BlendThree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BlendThree
Member since 2012 • 180 Posts

Can't say I agree- there are systems so much worse. R-Zone, as pointed out above, is one great example. A strong argument could be made against Nintendo's own Virtual Boy if you really wanted to prove a point. Ever play the Game Wave? Or Hasbro's Net Jet? It's easy for sites to target these things as "the worst" but let's face it, since the onset of video games, there have been optomistic companies hoping to cash in on the pie by appealing to smaller demographics.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

Can't say I agree- there are systems so much worse. R-Zone, as pointed out above, is one great example. A strong argument could be made against Nintendo's own Virtual Boy if you really wanted to prove a point. Ever play the Game Wave? Or Hasbro's Net Jet? It's easy for sites to target these things as "the worst" but let's face it, since the onset of video games, there have been optomistic companies hoping to cash in on the pie by appealing to smaller demographics.

BlendThree

don't forget the game.com

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#12 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

[QUOTE="Cataclism"][QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

WitIsWisdom

Ouya?

I would certainly hope that the Ouya has better success. For one, I know I am going to buy the Ouya, and I was never that interested in the HyperScan. I'm calling it now that the Ouya will be MASSIVELY successful. However if I wind up being wrong I will be the first to admit I was wrong.

Yeah that is a good answer to that post though.

Ouya crossed my mind when I was posting that. And, in fact, if it counts, I've already put my money where my mouth is on that point: I supported the Kickstarter on day one. We'll see how it really pans out though.

rb6rb6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 rb6rb6
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
The only reason why I play the hyperscan is to play spiderman which is the only good game out there
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

It does look bad. But I've seen that episode, and I strongly suspect they had a faulty system. They could barely get the thing to work correctly.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts
Super necro thread. Also the idea was good, they just had no games.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I got that beat. I used to own an ActionMax:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsww4SlxUbM

-Byshop