Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Are In

Avatar image for vespuche
#1 Posted by vespuche (1061 posts) -

IGN - 7.7

Gamespot - 6

I know these aren't necessarily bad scores, just average. But people expect more from Mass Effect.

So know that you have seen to scores, you still buying?

Avatar image for Macutchi
#2 Posted by Macutchi (5734 posts) -
@vespuche said:

So know that you have seen to scores, you still buying?

i must admit i'm surprised at the poor reception of the game. i did expect it to get a fairly easy ride from the gaming press so the fact that it's not really says to me that the game must be pretty damn bad to warrant such a reaction. and every review video i've seen does very little to contradict that feeling.

most reviews suggest either implicitly or explicitly that it's an rpg with very little "r," packed with simplified fetch quests, a largely bland supporting cast, very few decisions that can affect the story path, an awful inventory system and technical problems galore... sounds about as appealing as turning up to a blind date to meet a middle aged woman with big sores on her lip and several kids in tow. doesn't even sound bargain bin worthy to me, i'll pass

Avatar image for madrocketeer
#3 Posted by madrocketeer (4974 posts) -

Not in 2017.

  1. I've already decided ever since the game was revealed that I was going to wait till all the DLCs are out. This merely re-affirms that decision.
  2. Then Christmas 2016 arrived, and it turned out EA don't seem to know what the word "Sale" means. I got so angry at them I resolved to not give them a single penny for the whole of 2017.
  3. And of course, the reviews, which paints a picture of a deeply flawed and unfinished game. I'm going to wait and see how BioWare respond to this.
Avatar image for MarcRecon
#4 Posted by MarcRecon (8102 posts) -

I didn't think a 6 was possible for MEA, don't matter though, I'm still getting it. I was watching a few friends broadcast it last night, I saw some of the technical issues, but it wasn't overwhelming. My personal score so far is 7.5....possible an 8.

Avatar image for pyro1245
#5 Posted by pyro1245 (3287 posts) -

Nah. I'll probably start Torment instead.

I'll wait a year or so on MEA and see where it is then. It would have taken some very impressive reviews for me to buy it anyway. DAI pretty much ruined any subsequent BioWare games for me. Still, I had a faint glimmer of hope MAE would be good. If anything, it reaffirms my belief that BioWare is incapable of making a good game and has been for a very long time.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#6 Edited by Archangel3371 (23146 posts) -

Not going to lie the review for Andromeda makes me sad. Still going to buy it though but I may be crying while playing it. Of course it is very possible that I love it as well but we'll see.

Avatar image for MarcRecon
#7 Posted by MarcRecon (8102 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

I may be crying while playing it. Of course it is very possible that I love it as well but we'll see.

Same here!! lol

Avatar image for nepu7supastar7
#8 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (3763 posts) -

@vespuche:

I guess I'll wait for a price drop? I THINK I know what went wrong. Maybe Bioware thought to make this game too casual like they did with Dragon Age Inquisition. I happened to like Inquisition but the basic ideas of game story arc and characters stopped me from playing it more than short bursts.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#9 Edited by mrbojangles25 (39473 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:

Nah. I'll probably start Torment instead.

I'll wait a year or so on MEA and see where it is then. It would have taken some very impressive reviews for me to buy it anyway. DAI pretty much ruined any subsequent BioWare games for me. Still, I had a faint glimmer of hope MAE would be good. If anything, it reaffirms my belief that BioWare is incapable of making a good game and has been for a very long time.

Yeah, screw this. I am very disappointed with Bioware, they cashed their last check, have coasted as far as they could off the Bioware legacy of old. KOTOR, Jade Empire, and the original ME can only get you so far.

I hope to see more great games from them, but...sad :(

I'll pick it up when it's discounted, but I really, really, really hope to see disappointing sales so they learn their lesson. There are a lot of good games out there, folks, you don't have to buy ME:A.

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
#10 Edited by RSM-HQ (5940 posts) -

Only Bioware game I ever bought was Dragons Age: Inquisition, and I wasn't impressed.

With games like Nioh, last DkSIII DLC, and Automata floating around they'd have to pay me to waste my free-time playing Mass Effect 4.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#11 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (14832 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

Not going to lie the review for Andromeda makes me sad. Still going to buy it though but I may be crying while playing it. Of course it is very possible that I love it as well but we'll see.

Yeah same here... I'm still going to try it, but very disappointing to see the reviews. Maybe just don't think of it as a Mass Effect game...

Avatar image for osan0
#12 Posted by osan0 (14956 posts) -

god dam it EA you just had to do 2 things.

1) dont fleece on the DLC (how bad is it?)
2) don't mess it up.

well thats off the list anyway. way too many games to be getting on with.

Avatar image for toast_burner
#13 Posted by toast_burner (24743 posts) -

I like Mass Effect too much to not buy it eventually. Like I did with the previous games I'll wait until all the DLC is out and the price has dropped. Only paid about £20 for the original trilogy and all its DLC.

Avatar image for wadedmcginnis
#14 Posted by WadeDMcGinnis (117 posts) -

From the trial I played, the game went from a buy to a rental. It's sad because it's not the animations or the bugs that allowed me to come to that conclusion. It's the writing, the motivation, the side characters, the lack of control over side characters etc.

Avatar image for johnd13
#15 Posted by johnd13 (9290 posts) -

The game may have flaws as the reviews indicate but Mass Effect is one of my favorite franchises so I'm still buying it.

Avatar image for davillain-
#16 Edited by DaVillain- (26907 posts) -

The game seems to be getting a lot of hate. But hell, if it's similar to the previous Mass Effect games then I'm in. I can usually look past animation bugs and I already got it on PC and Mass Effect games happens to be my favorite sci-fi since and I like the lure in Mass Effect then Star Wars.

For those who are gonna get the PC version, I can confirm that PC version works great and is well optimized, so get the PC if you can.

Avatar image for wiouds
#17 Posted by wiouds (6233 posts) -

Well, DA:I had remove any faith I had in Bioware so I was not that caring about ME:A despite loving the first two games.

@Macutchi said:

most reviews suggest either implicitly or explicitly that it's an rpg with very little "r," packed with simplified fetch quests, a largely bland supporting cast, very few decisions that can affect the story path, an awful inventory system and technical problems galore... sounds about as appealing as turning up to a blind date to meet a middle aged woman with big sores on her lip and several kids in tow. doesn't even sound bargain bin worthy to me, i'll pass

There are two types of role playing in a RPG. The theater of the mind, and pageantry of the gears.

The theater of the mind is the story elements and the like.

The pageantry of the gears is the role playing game play. Sadly Bioware has given up on this. Just look at how horrible DA:I was. I have little faith in ME:A for that and since ME2 they taken this out. Which is a shame since this is what I love about RPG and with out this I can not call it a RPG.

Avatar image for thehig1
#18 Edited by thehig1 (6215 posts) -

@MarcRecon: to be fair it's only GameSpot that's have such a low score, others average around 7.5 to 8.0.

Gamespots strength is a decent forum, not the reviewers.

Avatar image for hillelslovak
#19 Posted by hillelslovak (12935 posts) -

I've looked at a lot of cutscenes, gameplay videos, etc. It just looks like it's an action game first, which is not my view of what Mass Effect is supposed to be. Looking at how the characters ineteract with each other is awful. Past the 2011 animations, the dialogue is painfully written, and delivered in such a phoned in passion. Does nobody in the Andromeda galaxy even raise their damn voices?!

Avatar image for metalboi
#20 Posted by MetalBoi (3023 posts) -

I went from super hyped a month ago, to still somewhat interested up to a few days ago, to maybe when it's in the bargain bin.

Avatar image for lucidique
#21 Posted by lucidique (427 posts) -

@Macutchi: Gamespot's making it sounds like the underlying game mechanics are fun, however. I may pick this up on the cheap at some point. We'll see...

Avatar image for MarcRecon
#22 Edited by MarcRecon (8102 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

@MarcRecon: to be fair it's only GameSpot that's have such a low score, others average around 7.5 to 8.0.

Gamespots strength is a decent forum, not the reviewers.

So I'm not crazy, thanks bro!!!lol

Avatar image for SoAmazingBaby
#23 Posted by SoAmazingBaby (3001 posts) -

For a game this big, a 6 is a slaughter

Avatar image for hillelslovak
#24 Posted by hillelslovak (12935 posts) -

@SoAmazingBaby said:

For a game this big, a 6 is a slaughter

Agreed. The first trilogy was one of the biggest, if not the biggest standout series last gen. But hey, when you rest on your laurels, and worry more about sexual diversity in your scifi game, rather than making characters who look, act and speak like actual human beings, there you go. And this is coming from someone who loved everything in the trilogy, so much as to not really care about the ending of 3, which made everyone load their diapers to the brim.

Avatar image for MondasM
#25 Posted by MondasM (1724 posts) -

@SoAmazingBaby: destiny also got a 6 from gs, however i have played the bejeezus out of it, i somehow sense you did the same... :)

if i remember correctly destiny had too much polish but the story was meh, this time around me:a has decent story (not stellar though as the name suggests, sorry, had to do it) but very little polish, i reckon i'll give it go, but i have to play some other game else than horizon before it since it will be a huger let down as it already is...

Avatar image for GarGx1
#26 Posted by GarGx1 (9472 posts) -

Is it really worse than No Man's Sky?

Avatar image for SoAmazingBaby
#27 Posted by SoAmazingBaby (3001 posts) -

@MondasM said:

@SoAmazingBaby: destiny also got a 6 from gs, however i have played the bejeezus out of it, i somehow sense you did the same... :)

if i remember correctly destiny had too much polish but the story was meh, this time around me:a has decent story (not stellar though as the name suggests, sorry, had to do it) but very little polish, i reckon i'll give it go, but i have to play some other game else than horizon before it since it will be a huger let down as it already is...

You sensed correctly sir ;) Did Destiny really recieve a 6?

Avatar image for drspoon
#28 Posted by DrSpoon (625 posts) -

As others have said, will get it at some point once some of the bugs are addressed and we have a better idea of what DLC is coming - try to add variety to some of the 'fetch quests' people have been referring to.

Avatar image for socialreclusejr
#29 Posted by SocialRecluseJr (4 posts) -

@vespuche: Even after hearing all the smack about the game I was still stoked, I watch reviews but I do not really take them to heart unless it is a newer game that doesn't have any predecessors. I've played this game and yes I have noticed the bugs but in the end I still love the game and im having the time of my life playing it.

Avatar image for with_teeth26
#30 Edited by with_teeth26 (8343 posts) -

@GarGx1 said:

Is it really worse than No Man's Sky?

god no. Different reviewers and all that, this is not in same league of crap as NMS. I think that is more a case of NMS being overrated and ME:A being a bit underrated

I think if you are a Mass Effect fan this could be a 7.5-8 and a fairly enjoyable experience, maybe a 7 for newcomers.

Avatar image for GarGx1
#31 Posted by GarGx1 (9472 posts) -

@with_teeth26 said:
@GarGx1 said:

Is it really worse than No Man's Sky?

god no. Different reviewers and all that, this is not in same league of crap as NMS. I think that is more a case of NMS being overrated and ME:A being a bit underrated

I think if you are a Mass Effect fan this could be a 7.5-8 and a fairly enjoyable experience, maybe a 7 for newcomers.

7 is a good game, maybe on the low side for a AAA with a ton of hype but good none the less. A quick patch for the animation glitches (not holding my breath though) could improve things a bit.

I got a decent deal on it but it doesn't unlock until later tonight so I guess I'll see for myself then.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#32 Posted by Jacanuk (12105 posts) -

@vespuche said:

IGN - 7.7

Gamespot - 6

I know these aren't necessarily bad scores, just average. But people expect more from Mass Effect.

So know that you have seen to scores, you still buying?

Yes, i love the universe and i know that a lot of the score comes from the bugginess

So it´s been pre ordered.

Avatar image for MondasM
#33 Posted by MondasM (1724 posts) -

@SoAmazingBaby: it really did, i was shocked at first but the gameplay and expansions kept me coming back, i just wish the graphics were more fluid with a higher framerate... :)

anyhow, i am torn between mass effect and ghost recon as i need a new game to start... :)

Avatar image for SoAmazingBaby
#34 Posted by SoAmazingBaby (3001 posts) -
@MondasM said:

@SoAmazingBaby: it really did, i was shocked at first but the gameplay and expansions kept me coming back, i just wish the graphics were more fluid with a higher framerate... :)

anyhow, i am torn between mass effect and ghost recon as i need a new game to start... :)

Is the Rise of Iron dead? Havnt played in months.

Avatar image for MondasM
#35 Posted by MondasM (1724 posts) -

@SoAmazingBaby: me neither, i haven't bought the last dlc, and haven't played it for maybe over a year... :)