Mario Kart 8 Good or bad?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jKryptonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 jKryptonite
Member since 2013 • 118 Posts

I'm trying to work out if i'm going to buy a wii u now or wait some more. It all comes down to how good the new mario kart is. Some reviews says it's the all-time best. I personally think it's MK64.. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has/had this one as favourite as well...

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Mario Kart 8 is amazingly fun. That said, this was my first time with the series.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#3 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

MK8 is a lot of fun. I would not call it the best in the series

jKryptonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 jKryptonite
Member since 2013 • 118 Posts

@Blueresident87: so which one is your favourite?

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#5 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts
@jKryptonite said:

@Blueresident87: so which one is your favourite?

That's a good question. It is so close between Super Mario Kart and 64, but I'd have to give the nod to the 64 version. Great tracks, music, battle arena, characters...but the SNES game is not far behind by much at all.

I actually thought Double Dash was great too

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I've only played the original, N64, DS, and now 8. Out of those, it's definitely the best racer. The Battle mode sucks real bad, so if that's important, you may want to skip.

The online works well, although it's pretty bare bones. You choose between solo and 2 player online, whether you want to race against anyone or just regional players, and that's it. You get put in a lobby where you can only choose pre-worded text comments and choose to vote on what track to play on.

Otherwise, 8 is fast, looks real nice, and the tracks are awesome. I'm having lots of fun playing single player (unlocking cups, karts, characters) and online. I'd easily recommend it, again, if battle mode is not a big deal. On the N64, I played more battle games than races.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

Mario Kart 8's racing mode is good, but the battle mode is terrible. Mario Kart 64 is still the best Mario Kart game of all time to me.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Mario Kart 8 is an amazing game. It would have been better to purchase it before August, as you would have gotten a free game with it, but it's still worth it imo.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@starwolf474 said:

Mario Kart 8's racing mode is good, but the battle mode is terrible. Mario Kart 64 is still the best Mario Kart game of all time to me.

While I did enjoy Double Dash, I have to agree. MK64 was superb. Mk8 is nice too.

BatladyMia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 BatladyMia
Member since 2014 • 26 Posts

64 will always be my favorite being my intro to the franchise, but I still think 8 is the best so far. The tracks and balancing of the vehicles are superb.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

Good or bad? Excellence is everywhere in this game, but it may not stay fresh for everyone.

It's part of the continuing evolution of the 3 previous titles (Mario Kart DS, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart 7). What sets this one a part is a particularly high level of polish, gorgeous visuals, creative courses, and (relatedly) an integration of glider, underwater, and antigravity elements. The replays are also surprisingly amusing.

There is a chance you may find it a tad stale if you've been playing a ton of previous iterations. While the improvements mentioned above will surely grab any Kart fans interest, one may grow tired of the essentially similar core gameplay sooner than they had with other games. It really depends on you.