Mafia II won't start?! (Windows 10)

Avatar image for patrickbateman
#1 Edited by PatrickBateman (13 posts) -

Hi guys,

I installed Mafia II on my laptop, but it won't start up! When I click on the game it shows the Mafia II logo with the 3 main characters, and after a few seconds it disappears and nothing happens!

I have played Mafia II before, different pc with windows 8 or 7, there it worked with no probs.

So, how to fix this? I have tried almost everything what I could find about "Mafia II won't start etc", nothing works.

Specs of my laptop:

Intel Core i7 5500U

Memory 12gb

Win10

Geforce 920m

No doubt I can play this game without any problems if it comes down to my specs.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#2 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21483 posts) -

Downgrade to Windows 7.

If you don't want to do that, look at this page and see if there's anything you have not tried. If not, tough tits: Windows 10 is not made for videogames, or anything else for that matter.

Avatar image for LessThanMike
#3 Posted by LessThanMike (5364 posts) -

down in the Cortana search box, search for "compatibility viewer", it will give you the option to run the program from an older version of windows without having to downgrade (which is an idiotic idea by the way)

Avatar image for patrickbateman
#4 Posted by PatrickBateman (13 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00: Thanks for the reply. I had tried already almost everything but nothing worked. "Windows 10 is not made for videogames", I have many other games which I can run on Windows 10 so that's not true.

Avatar image for patrickbateman
#5 Posted by PatrickBateman (13 posts) -

@LessThanMike: Tried that already. I had set it in Windows 8/7 >older, nothing worked. Im getting fucking crazy here, nothing works. There was one thing that changed the start up process but I didn't fix it.

I changed my videoconfig values and when I launched the game I saw for 1 sec the Mafia II logo, next my screen was black for 1-2 seconds in a sort of larger way and BOOM...nothing, back on my home screen...

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#6 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21483 posts) -

@patrickbateman said:

@Black_Knight_00: Thanks for the reply. I had tried already almost everything but nothing worked. "Windows 10 is not made for videogames", I have many other games which I can run on Windows 10 so that's not true.

By the way, in case you have games on discs, give or take from the 2004-2010 era, you might want to avoid installing them on a Win 10 machine, as chances are they contain Securom/Starforce DRM, which will brick your PC and force a reformat. That's why i advise people to downgrade their OS or build a second PC, if they want to play anything older than 2010.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#7 Posted by Jacanuk (18122 posts) -

@patrickbateman said:

Hi guys,

I installed Mafia II on my laptop, but it won't start up! When I click on the game it shows the Mafia II logo with the 3 main characters, and after a few seconds it disappears and nothing happens!

I have played Mafia II before, different pc with windows 8 or 7, there it worked with no probs.

So, how to fix this? I have tried almost everything what I could find about "Mafia II won't start etc", nothing works.

Specs of my laptop:

Intel Core i7 5500U

Memory 12gb

Win10

Geforce 920m

No doubt I can play this game without any problems if it comes down to my specs.

Try buying the game? (Standard response have to be here :D )

Try comp mode in win 7 or 8

Or check google , im pretty sure with the sale of mafia there are a lot of other people who have win 10 and have bought it.

Avatar image for patrickbateman
#8 Posted by PatrickBateman (13 posts) -

@Jacanuk: I own the game on multiple platforms. (the normal AND collectors edition for the Xbox 360, but now also on pc cause it looks better ofcourse/mods.)

I tried to launch it with comp mode Win 8 and 7, didn't work. I searched Google, researced almost every page, but couldn't anything. Not atleast a fix for my problem. On Youtube there are people who run Mafia II on Windows 10...so I don't get it.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#9 Posted by Jacanuk (18122 posts) -

@patrickbateman said:

@Jacanuk: I own the game on multiple platforms. (the normal AND collectors edition for the Xbox 360, but now also on pc cause it looks better ofcourse/mods.)

I tried to launch it with comp mode Win 8 and 7, didn't work. I searched Google, researced almost every page, but couldn't anything. Not atleast a fix for my problem. On Youtube there are people who run Mafia II on Windows 10...so I don't get it.

Hmm, can´t remember does it come with a crashlog? because you may want to check that.

Avatar image for patrickbateman
#10 Posted by PatrickBateman (13 posts) -

@Jacanuk: No, nothing. I launch the game (also tried as administrator) and then I see the Mafia II logo for a few seconds, and then it disappears again.

I tried one thing that changed this, but did not fixed it. I changed the videoconfig like people said here on Google and when I launched the game after the change, it showed the Mafia II logo for almost 1 second, then a black screen for 1 sec, and BAM...back on my homescreen.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#11 Posted by Jacanuk (18122 posts) -

@patrickbateman said:

@Jacanuk: No, nothing. I launch the game (also tried as administrator) and then I see the Mafia II logo for a few seconds, and then it disappears again.

I tried one thing that changed this, but did not fixed it. I changed the videoconfig like people said here on Google and when I launched the game after the change, it showed the Mafia II logo for almost 1 second, then a black screen for 1 sec, and BAM...back on my homescreen.

Just installed it and it ran fine on win 10.

It did want to install net 3.5 i think so did you install that?

Avatar image for patrickbateman
#12 Posted by PatrickBateman (13 posts) -

Fixed! A simple reinstall was enough... *sigh*. Thanks for the help. It surprises me how good it still looks (on PC) for a game from 2010. It looks more like 2012-2013.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#13 Posted by Jacanuk (18122 posts) -

@patrickbateman said:

Fixed! A simple reinstall was enough... *sigh*. Thanks for the help. It surprises me how good it still looks (on PC) for a game from 2010. It looks more like 2012-2013.

Ahh good.

And ya it does look good for a old game. And it was a decent game , but in true EA style 2k Cezh ripped out a lot to later make into DLC. Just bad and lazy.