M rated PS2 or Gamecube games? (fleshing out collection)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

If this ought to be in the Suggestions Thread, I apologize! I just though this might be too long to fit there.

Anyway, I wasn't allowed to play M-rated games until the ESRB said I was old enough, but by that time I was mostly PC gaming. This year, what with the PS2 and Gamecube dying out I feel the need to complete my collection before game prices get stupidly high. Basically I missed out on a lot of console games because my parents respected the ratings.

So. What are really good M-rated PS2/GC games I shouldn't miss?

I already have Resident Evil 4 and the REmake, DMC3, God of War, Black, Timesplitters 3, Half-Life, Persona 4 and the GTA and Metal Gear Solid games. Please do not suggest those.

Open to all genres! Throw titles at me; stuff you thought was fun or whatever. Review scores not super important unless the game was really buggy/broken/generic.

darkdude2k12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 darkdude2k12
Member since 2011 • 874 Posts

If this ought to be in the Suggestions Thread, I apologize! I just though this might be too long to fit there.

Anyway, I wasn't allowed to play M-rated games until the ESRB said I was old enough, but by that time I was mostly PC gaming. This year, what with the PS2 and Gamecube dying out I feel the need to complete my collection before game prices get stupidly high. Basically I missed out on a lot of console games because my parents respected the ratings.

I already have Resident Evil 4 and the REmake, DMC3, God of War, Black, Timesplitters 3, Half-Life, Persona 4 and the GTA and Metal Gear Solid games. Please do not suggest those.

Open to all genres! Throw titles at me; stuff you thought was fun or whatever. Review scores not super important unless the game was really buggy/broken/generic.

Fusionmix

Here's a list.

GC

Hitman 2, Eternal Darkness, Gun, Killer 7, Def Jam Fight for NY, Spartan- Total Warrior, Mortal Kombat Deadly alliance...MK deception...

PS2 has loads being that there are more games for Ps2 than any console.

tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts

manhunt, the hitman games, max payne, the suffering, and soldier of fortune

Avatar image for TheKoreanZombie
TheKoreanZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheKoreanZombie
Member since 2011 • 189 Posts

Eternal Darkness.

Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

You missed most of the Shin Megami Tensei series. Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga. Twisted Metal, Red Faction.... can't think of much else off the top of my head that is rated M. Didn't pay much attention to it since It wasn't really limited to me. I do sometimes pay attention to it within a series because the one that goes down to T or down to E is usually where the series got lame.

Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fusionmix

Spartan! I forgot about that one; definitely getting it. MK Deception too; always wanted it :3

I have Persona 3 on PSP and love it (haven't played P4 yet; it's still in plastic wrap). I don't want to get every SMT game ever, though. Which ones are best?

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#7 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Manhunt, Hitman, Shinobido, Blood Will Tell, Way of the Samurai, Def Jam, Spartan Total Warrior, Persona 3 (and all other PS2 Shin Megami Tensei games), Drakenguard 2, God Hand, Michigan Report From Hell
warrenmats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#8 warrenmats
Member since 2008 • 2247 Posts

if you like horror games you can get the fatal frame series. the 1st game is pretty hard though. You can get silent hill 4 on the ps2, you can get 2 and 3 also but there is a HD collection that has both these games on the PS3 and Xbox so you can get that instead.

wanna play something else? Then try out Twisted Metal:Black or Yakuza 1 & 2. all the other good ones everyone above already mentioned, or you played them already

TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheBlackKnight3

Spartan! I forgot about that one; definitely getting it. MK Deception too; always wanted it :3

I have Persona 3 on PSP and love it (haven't played P4 yet; it's still in plastic wrap). I don't want to get every SMT game ever, though. Which ones are best?

Fusionmix

Definitely go for Nocturne and you better start Persona 4 now, unless you plan on getting the Vita version or didn't finish P3. It is so difficult going back to P3 after beating Persona 4.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Eternal Darkness, Indigo's prophecy, Area51 and REZero

Also, this world needs more parents like yours!

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#11 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I don't want to get every SMT game ever, though.Fusionmix
Neither do I, but I sincerely think all the PS2 Shin Megami Tensei titles are worth playing.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
GC: Eternal Darkness PS2: Fatal Frame series Shadow of Rome Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 Twisted Metal Black Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner (wait for the HD Collection if you have a PS3 or 360)
Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fusionmix

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CDuG
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

The first DMC. Why you have 3 is beyond me. Not a bad game but to only have that one is strange seeing as it's one of the most brutally difficult games I've ever played. First one is hard but manageable especially with lower difficulty options. I'd recommend it.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

"Eternal Darkness" is a MUST for your GameCube. Like "REmake", it holds up amazingly well. Just thought I would add a comment onto that pile... It is a high watermark for horror, for games in-general, and all. It is one of th best games I have ever played, and no mistake. The only game to ever properly simulate hallucination. Period. It WILL have you questioning if you just saw something, if something is really happening, it's amazing and the folks who made it should be Sainted in our hobby.

DO NOT read anything about the game, go into it as cold and umprepared as possible for best results. It's been out for a long time, so spoilers are everywhere... But trust me when I say that you want that game as fresh-to-it as possible.

I loved it.

:D

They make a lot of "M" games for the PS2, and some of 'em are cool. I really liked off the top of my head, and that I have played recently - All are generally CHEAP so's you kin collect 'em ALL :P -

"Scarface: The World Is Yours" - GTA knock-off sandboxer that is solid, sordid, and fun to play.

"MAFIA" - NOT an open-world game though it looks like it. Usual Mafia story of rags to riches to Dead, well-done 1930s world and a riot to play.

"The Godfather" - See "MAFIA", above. Same Deal.

"Indigo Prophecy" - Where "Heavy Rain" came from. Unique game mechanics and RTE action keep your heart racing & stomach churning.

"Cold Winter" - Gruesome cold war FPS about escaping a Korean prison and finding the operatives who screwed you over. VERY violent.

"Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy" - You can posses a soldier, kill all his squad-mates, then turn the gun on himself. All without entering the room.

"Return to Wolfenstein" - Best Psycho-Death-Nazi Monster killing you're bound to find on the PS2. The Save-Anywhere system makes it a joy to play.

"Sniper Elite" - WWII sniper missions. Stealth & discretion, huge maps and lots of ways to complete your objectives. Very realistic, with a bullet-cam for your perfect shots which are very bloody, slow-motion affairs... Can be pricey when found, but worth up to around $25, I would say. Can be found cheaper.

CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CDuG

"Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy" - You can posses a soldier, kill all his squad-mates, then turn the gun on himself. All without entering the room.

MonkeySpot

I do believe this game is in my extensive backlog that I have yet to touch. Good to see somebody hype it as I've never heard much about it so I don't know what to expect. I read somewhere that it has co-op. That true? My wife keeps bugging me o get more co-op games for us to play as we're currently addicted to RE5.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

CDuG

I do believe this game is in my extensive backlog that I have yet to touch. Good to see somebody hype it as I've never heard much about it so I don't know what to expect. I read somewhere that it has co-op. That true? My wife keeps bugging me o get more co-op games for us to play as we're currently addicted to RE5.

Yes, it does. Controller 1 controls movement and aiming, controller 2 controls weapons and Psi-Powers. Haven't ever played it so I can't tell you what it's like. But being as that game is pretty awesome in the first place, it can't be all bad.

:)

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#18 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts

"Eternal Darkness" is a MUST for your GameCube. Like "REmake", it holds up amazingly well. Just thought I would add a comment onto that pile... It is a high watermark for horror, for games in-general, and all. It is one of th best games I have ever played, and no mistake. The only game to ever properly simulate hallucination. Period. It WILL have you questioning if you just saw something, if something is really happening, it's amazing and the folks who made it should be Sainted in our hobby.

DO NOT read anything about the game, go into it as cold and umprepared as possible for best results. It's been out for a long time, so spoilers are everywhere... But trust me when I say that you want that game as fresh-to-it as possible.

I loved it.

:D

MonkeySpot

Does the gameplay really hold up THAT well? I've yet to play the game myself and I really wish to play it, but visually, I think it looks worse than Onimusha: Warlords on PS2.

CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CDuG

[QUOTE="CDuG"]

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

MonkeySpot

Yes, it does. Controller 1 controls movement and aiming, controller 2 controls weapons and Psi-Powers. Haven't ever played it so I can't tell you what it's like. But being as that game is pretty awesome in the first place, it can't be all bad.

:)

Hmm that's a weird setup. I was thinking it'd be something more like Resistance where player 2 is unnamed random guy that gets no credit for anything..

unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 unknown37
Member since 2006 • 5135 Posts

Fusionmix

Skip Digital Devil Saga, you need both 1 and 2 to really enjoy it as the first game might as well be a prequel thats whole purpose is to set the second games story up. Devil summoner is good, but honestly I'd skip those too.

Nocturne (aka SMT3) is the "purest" game on PS2 in the series since its truest to the Megaten formula and is the only one on the system that isn't a spin off (although I guess that could be argued against, its not my point). Not saying that its the best, but if you have the Persona games its going to show off the other side of how Megaten games work the best.

Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fusionmix

I hear Nocturne practically requires a guide to enjoy it though. I like Persona 3 because it's difficult but fair. From what I've read of Nocturne it takes hours upon hours of grinding and the demons will ask for a ton of sh*t and then not join you anyway :I.

NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

Nevermind you already have it.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

"Eternal Darkness" is a MUST for your GameCube.

nintendoboy16

Does the gameplay really hold up THAT well? I've yet to play the game myself and I really wish to play it, but visually, I think it looks worse than Onimusha: Warlords on PS2.

EVERYTHING about the game has held up PERFECTLY. Trust me. Use a wired controller with rumble in it when you play, the feedback can be important in finding things, etc.

Best horror game ever made, without peer.

TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheBlackKnight3

I hear Nocturne practically requires a guide to enjoy it though. I like Persona 3 because it's difficult but fair. From what I've read of Nocturne it takes hours upon hours of grinding and the demons will ask for a ton of sh*t and then not join you anyway :I.

Fusionmix

As long as you pay attention to the cutscenes and remember the area names, you shouldn't have much trouble finding your way. Getting lost in a dungeon is half the fun. I never grind, but demons not joining you is mostly true, though you can tell when they first talk to you. If it sounds like they aren't going to join by the facial expression they make, they probably won't. You will understand what I mean by that if you play it. You just need to go through some trial and error with resistances and whatnot, otherwise you can beat bosses as long as you don't really on one really good type of attack.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

Fusionmix

get killer7 for gamecube!

and get fahrenheit/indigo prophecy for ps2

was shadow of the colossus mature or ico?

thise games are life changing imo

shadowysea07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#26 shadowysea07
Member since 2007 • 9489 Posts

rpg wise there are quite a few worth checking out. xenosaga 1-3, skies of arcadia legends, wild arms 1-5, grandia and legend of legaia, ff10 and 10-2 and 12, the tales of series has tales of legendia and tales of abyss on the ps2 and tales of symphonia on the gamecube. rogue galaxy, star ocean series, .hack series, breath of fire, fire emblem, valkyrie profile, mana khemia, jade cocoon. the ps2 was the system for rpgs

shadowysea07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shadowysea07

nocturne is harder than persona 3 and 4 but with a decent video guide on youtube you should be ok. masterLL does streams of games like nocturne.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

skies of arcadia was m-rated?

shadowysea07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shadowysea07

skies of arcadia was m-rated?

bultje112
no and i just realized after i posted that quite a few of those games wern't m but certainly felt that way :P.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Altered Beast, the remake of the arcade series. A little underrated if you ask me, I loved it.