Lost Odyssey, All is Redeemed, Reviews Are In: Unofficial Thread : )

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

Now I have to say I've heard very mediocre things about Lost Odyssey, but I was simply blown away when I saw this commercial for the game. The commercial features the trippy 60's acid induced ballad by Grace Slick, White Rabbit, and I have to say the pick definitely caught me by suprise. I wasn't even going to give this game a rental, but I liked the commercial so much, that I think I'll have to rent the game when it comes out next Tuesday, pathetic huh :) Now only if they' d make an acid trip inspired jrpg with a soundtrack composed of songs like White Rabbit, how amazing would that be. Okay okay, it wouldn't be too popular, but I'd be all over it.

Miscellaneous

Gametrailers Recent Preview

Latest Recent Interview With Hees Kyung, Global Product Manager at Microsoft Game Studios

Gametrailers Commercial Link

Kevin-V's Blog

Gameplay Vids

2nd Boss Fight

3rd Gameplay Vid

Gameplay and Boss Fight Vid

CVG Exclusive Gameplay Videos

Reviews (All Out of Ten)

Gamespy- 5.0

IGN Review- 8.2

6.5 Presentation
The story is so-so, the menus look ancient and the loading screens never seem to stop.

8.0 Graphics
Excellent enemy design and attractive special effects. The framerate is distracting at times.

7.5 Sound
A good soundtrack, but mediocre voice acting.

8.5 Gameplay
Though it's very traditional, the ring-building and skill system are highly addictive. Turn-based combat is actually fun.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
The four discs will last you anywhere from 35-50 hours, depending on your thoroughness. There's not much reason to go back once the quest is finished.

IGN AU Review - 8.0

8.0 Presentation
The nondescript menu system is wholly JRPG in tradition. Clean, effective, easy to follow. Overall, the game also keeps UI to a minimum.

9.0 Graphics
Outstanding almost every respect - art direction, animation, textures, lighting. It is, unfortunately, hampered by framerate and screen-tearing.

7.0 Sound
Although the voice-acting is mostly solid, the score is forgettable. The environmental audio is excellent, however.

7.5 Gameplay
It all works - despite AI and balancing issues - but the real problem isn't the gameplay itself, but the concepts behind. It's all been done before.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
It's monsterously large, coming on four DVDs and more hours than is probably healthy - which is a good thing for JRPG fans. There's a lot of gameplay for your buck.

Gametrailers Review- 8.8

Story 9.6

Design 8.0

Gameplay 8.3

Presentation 9.5

GamesRadar Review - 6.0

Duckroll/Bebpo Cross Review(Courtesy of Neogaf)- 8.0/8.5

Eurogamer Review- 8.0

1up Review- 8.0

Worthplaying Review- 7.5

Gametap- 7.0

TeamXbox Review- 8.3

Gameplay 8.3
An intriguing story, massive scope and entertaining combat. Better production work and code optimization could have helped the overall package a bit.

Graphics 8.0
Decent usage of the Unreal 3 Engine, although there is some room for improvement on the technical side of things.

Audio 7.0
The soundtrack is moving, but the sound effects and dialog leave a lot on the table.

Longevity 7.8
Patches of repetitiveness spoil a bit of the scope.

Innovation 7.8
A conscientious effort was made to make Lost Odyssey different than other turn-based RPG'ers, however, some area feel pretty outdated.

Overall 8.3

Gamespot Review- 7.5

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44098 Posts
Hmm interesting. I'll have to check the commercial out later. Lost Odyssey is still a definate on my to buy list. Most of the negative things that were mentioned about it aren't really things that seem to be ones that would bother me. The videos that I have seen on the game have me quite interested so I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the game later next week.
CrimsonpugTwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 CrimsonpugTwo
Member since 2004 • 2220 Posts
Already reserved and paid for... based on Blue Dragon and Final Fantasy X alone.
Ectomy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ectomy
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts
After watching the commercial, I still can't say I have a reason to be interested in the game. I've yet to see anything within the game that actually looks interesting in terms of gameplay, characters etc. and it doesn't really seem that anyone is actually trying to achieve anything significant in those terms. The music used in the commercial honestly doesn't fit with what looks to be the JRPG equivilent of a Hollywood blockbuster, the result just doesn't 'work' IMO. Feel free to disagree, but the game just has a mediocre vibe all round.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HiResDes

After watching the commercial, I still can't say I have a reason to be interested in the game. I've yet to see anything within the game that actually looks interesting in terms of gameplay, characters etc. and it doesn't really seem that anyone is actually trying to achieve anything significant in those terms. The music used in the commercial honestly doesn't fit with what looks to be the JRPG equivilent of a Hollywood blockbuster, the result just doesn't 'work' IMO. Feel free to disagree, but the game just has a mediocre vibe all round. Ectomy

Supposedly the music fits well with what occurs later in the game, but yeah you're right the game does look rather mediocre. Don't get confused by the thread title, its more of a joke than anything. i must be the only Grace Slick fan here, :x

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

I dunno. The music choice in the commercial really killed any vibes I would've been getting if there was a choice made that was closer to how the music in the actual game is like.

I felt the commercial casted more doubt in my mind about the game than redeemed anything, personally.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I'm really debating on getting this game. I need something to keep me busy till GTA4 comes out. I've been reading more books and playing less games. I've become a monster!
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts
I agree with you... it's a nice commercial. I'm a fan of the song.
The game itself? Probably not so good. :)
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HiResDes

I agree with you... it's a nice commercial. I'm a fan of the song.
The game itself? Probably not so good. :)Dire_Weasel

Yeah but for me what once looked like a mere rental has turned into a possible buy, Lost Odyssey's gameplay just has that great mystical nostalgic feel. It's like the old friend you wrote off and thought you were too good for, but I have to say that I think the game looks like it has character...And character, as abstract as it sounds, is probably most important to me.

EazyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 EazyB
Member since 2003 • 7944 Posts

I recently picked up Blue Dragoon for $30 but haven't yet had the chance to play it. Still feeling that Fall 07 flood. Once I beat Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragoon I'll head right into LO.

BTW: Love the sig rragnaar.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I recently picked up Blue Dragoon for $30 but haven't yet had the chance to play it. Still feeling that Fall 07 flood. Once I beat Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragoon I'll head right into LO.

BTW: Love the sig rragnaar.

EazyB

Thanks! I've been meaning to pick up Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata lately, and they've entered that weird time period where I won't buy them because I know have to be getting a price drop soon.
Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts

I'm so screwed with games right now lol...I want to play this but it looks like I'm gonna have to wait for summer to pick this up and MAss Effect. My list right now makes me cry. Haven't even started Dead Rising, Bullet Witch, or Kameo, Need to finsih COD4 and Lost Planet. Currently playing Kingdom Under Fire, and just picked up DMC4/Culdcept Saga. But I shalt pick up a single new game till GTA4 is release...Saving monies!!! lol

Cry0Tek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Cry0Tek
Member since 2007 • 863 Posts
Well in about ten minutes we'll get to see what X-Play thinks of it. *cross'es fingers* I know X-Play isn't the "best" reviewer to go by, but I still give them a modest amount of credibility. :)
Cry0Tek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Cry0Tek
Member since 2007 • 863 Posts
And...X-Play officially give Lost Odyssey, 3 out of 5 stars. :( I wont be buying this one. What a shame too, I mean this game has been in the works for a long long time. Sad sad news...
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HiResDes

And...X-Play officially give Lost Odyssey, 3 out of 5 stars. :( I wont be buying this one. What a shame too, I mean this game has been in the works for a long long time. Sad sad news...Cry0Tek

I'll listen to user reviews, before I listen to X-play

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#18 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
God damn...random encounters?
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

Yeah, man. Everybody loves random encounters.

Oh, wait. They don't.

morph_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 morph_basic
Member since 2002 • 1672 Posts

Oh, wait. They don't.

LordAndrew
I do!
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts

10 years ago a game like Lost Odyssey would have driven me into a frenzy. I guess I've just played one too many JRPG's over the years and the genre has lost its flavor. Unless it has great word of mouth I can't see myself going for it, and even if it does Eternal Sonata is probably where I'd turn first to get a JRPG fix on the 360.

Shinoto: Don't delay yourself the pleasure of Mass Effect, move that game to the top of your list as soon as possible! Mass Effect crush Bullet Witch! Though I can relate to the saving monies bit.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Random encounters with long load times and sparsely animated battles (characters should be trying to block or dodge, not fidgeting impatiently as an enemy charges towards them). Looks like I'll be waiting a bit for the definitive next-gen rpg.

Mistwalker seemed like a wonderful idea at the time, but I expect that like Rare, they are going to be pushed towards DS development (google indicates they have a couple DS projects in the works), where they might or might not do any better commercially, but their failures will be less costly for MS.

Oh well. FF13, Infinite Undiscovery and White Knight Story look promising and based on the gameplay vids I've seen Disgaea 3 is a must-buy.

Solid_Snake_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Solid_Snake_7
Member since 2004 • 3398 Posts
So, what is the biggest problem with this game? If it's random encounters, i don't care. If it's that it is very derivative, i don't care. If it's that it is very traditional, i actually find that appealing. So will i end up enjoying the game or not?
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HiResDes

So, what is the biggest problem with this game? If it's random encounters, i don't care. If it's that it is very derivative, i don't care. If it's that it is very traditional, i actually find that appealing. So will i end up enjoying the game or not?Solid_Snake_7

If you haven't grown tired of traditional conservative jrpgs than there is nothing really wrong with this game. It is suppose to be very much like the older FF's, which if I remember correctly are regarded as the some of the best games ever, though not by me. I know for sure that I am at least going to check it out.

Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Arath_1
Member since 2003 • 4688 Posts

Well from the sounds of things, it's just too old school. We have Gameplay mechanics which haven't changed for almost 20 years (at all?), poor technical prowess (long loading times, so-so animation)... and the heart and soul of the game here (the story) seems to be passable at best. I always expected Lost Odyssey wouldn't live up to expectation or at least wouldn't be the next generation JRPG many were waiting for. Don't get me wrong I'm sure a lot of loyalists will adore this game, but in the face of so many other excellent games & design concepts there's no excuse for clinging so desperately to the past.

I'm sure I'll give it a go based on what other people have to say on the forums, but I can't say I expected anything different from this game.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
I wanted this game because I'm a huge fan of RPGs and I got a 360. I've not played Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata yet, either. I want to get all three.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Definitely getting this, like the FF ambience, and it looks like they know what they're doing.
Solid_Snake_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Solid_Snake_7
Member since 2004 • 3398 Posts

and the heart and soul of the game here (the story) seems to be passable at best.

Arath_1

I just watched the gametrailers review. They gave the story a 9.6 and said it was among the best. Maybe some reviewers didn't understand it or didn't like reading much. I don't know. Let's wait for some more reviews.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LordAndrew

So, what is the biggest problem with this game? If it's random encounters, i don't care. If it's that it is very derivative, i don't care. If it's that it is very traditional, i actually find that appealing. So will i end up enjoying the game or not?Solid_Snake_7

I don't mind a game like that occasionally either. But those are the games I pick up for $10-$20. I don't like to pay full price for something that's been done a thousand times before.

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts
I am definitely ready for this game. I have it reserved so that I can get my free art book and I will schedule a day that I won't do anything and just play this game. That's how serious I am about it. I welcome some older RPG elements and, while random encounters are not something I desire, if the combat runs as smooth as Final Fantasy X I won't have a problem at all.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#32 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
Random encounters are starting to annoy me, and that annoyance is growing. I firmly believe that it was never needed in the first place, but it somehow exists and it was accepted by the gamers. Even some of my favourite RPGs have random encounters, but I never understood why they have them, and nobody really asks these developers why they put them in. It's one of those old JRPG conventions that needs to be buried. Just knowing that Lost Odyssey has random encounters without having played it makes me hesitant to try it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Member since 2005 • 7040 Posts

This seems like an Assassin's Creed, love-it-or-hate-it kind of deal, judging by the reviews its getting.

It definitely seems much improved over Blue Dragon, but still doesn't appear to be on the level of greatness this guy is known for. I'm starting to really not dig the trend of big-name Japanese developers leaving major companies to start these little niche teams where they don't have the resources in either money or talent to come up with the greatness they once did (Sakaguchi, Mikami, etc.).

I'm torn on whether or not to buy this one.

And random battles, ugh. That was something I never really liked, but put up with it for all the other redeeming factors of the great RPG's of the past. There were only a few games that had them, that I felt did them well and made them enjoyable throughout an entire game. Its something that should have been done away with around the release of the Dreamcast, yet here we are in 2008 and developers are STILL doing it.

sackem51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sackem51
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I grew up on random encounters.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Skylock00

From what I've heard, this game has random encounters, not very much depth in character skill/stat development, and the combat itself, from what I've seen so far, just seems to be very, very slow in its pacing.

I'm just not sure that the story, regardless of how good it is, can make up for that sort of gameplay between story segments, personally, but we'll see how other reviews pan out.

5UPERMARIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#36 5UPERMARIO
Member since 2006 • 1204 Posts

Wow seems like the reviews are all over the place on this game!

For what its worth i dont mind random encounters at all sometimes i actually prefer them. FFX was better than FF12 for example.

DeadlyZodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DeadlyZodiac
Member since 2007 • 1367 Posts
I wanted to like this game, but I think that the horrible load times and random battles will make me pass on this one. I remember the load times AFTER a battle on the world map for Tales of the Abyss drove me insane, I always had to have those holy things that make enemies stay away from you to travel. For ToTA the load time clocked in around 10 seconds for me, and from what I've heard of Lost Odyssey it can go from 15-20 seconds...no way in hell IMO.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
That GT Review was great. I already love the game. Too old school for many, but not for me. Not EVERY game needs to be pushing boundaries.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts
Those are some pretty polarized reviews. 5, and and 8.8? I really hope this game rocks, but this smells like Blue Dragon...
ScratchedFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ScratchedFury
Member since 2004 • 195 Posts
[QUOTE="LordAndrew"]

Oh, wait. They don't.

morph_basic

I do!

...what?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LordAndrew
The 1UP review is in. 8.0, or whatever letter that will amount to on their new grading scale.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HiResDes

The 1UP review is in. 8.0, or whatever letter that will amount to on their new grading scale.LordAndrew

B or B-, I imagine, if they use to go by .05 then it will be a B and there will be no such thing as a B-

Anyway, I think this game has rental written all over it.

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

GS posted their review

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/lostodyssey/review.html?sid=6185925

Long load times and poor framerates. Ouch! I saw and ad last night on FX, I think I've heard that song on the movie Daredevil. Looks like a rental folks.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HiResDes

GS posted their review

Long load times and poor framerates. Ouch! I saw and ad last night on FX, I think I've heard that song on the movie Daredevil. Looks like a rental folks.

D3s7rUc71oN

Oh man thats the nail in the coffin, rental confirmed

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts
I already preordered the game and I'll be picking it up Thursday. I've been waiting for a traditional RPG for a long time now.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

GS posted their review

D3s7rUc71oN

I know it's all opinion, and since I've yet to play Lost Odyssey I'll refrain from saying anything.

However, the game I play tomorrow better be reaallly glitchy and have an awful framerate to justify it getting a lower score than Mass Effect. I mean, I know that isn't all that's wrong with the game, but it seems to be the major sticking point. And seeing as Mass Effect is the worst game I've played in a technical sense this generation, LO better be reeaaally awful technically-speaking.

And like I've mentioned before, I'd rather the game be honest and load the whole thing up rather than doing it halfway and force me to stare at textures popping off like fireworks.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Skylock00

And like I've mentioned before, I'd rather the game be honest and load the whole thing up rather than doing it halfway and force me to stare at textures popping off like fireworks.

Shame-usBlackley

I'd rather spend less time waiting, and supposedly, LO has almost minute-long waits after cutscenes sometimes. Granted, ME had long load issues on elevator segments, but I don't really care about a game being 'honest' about not being well configured for smooth, fast loading.

I'm still not sure about how the ability system is suppose to work, but that'll be more or less the make or break point of this game for me, personally.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts
[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

Skylock00

I'd rather spend less time waiting, and supposedly, LO has almost minute-long waits after cutscenes sometimes. Granted, ME had long load issues on elevator segments, but I don't really care about a game being 'honest' about not being well configured for smooth, fast loading.

I'm still not sure about how the ability system is suppose to work, but that'll be more or less the make or break point of this game for me, personally.

Well, both would be ideal. But Mass Effect's way cheapens the experience and hurts it worse, in my opinion. The game is affected by it instead of the player's patience being tested. Neither are ideal, but one is broken and the other is merely annoying.

EDIT: It's sort of like, "Hey, short load times! Oh, wait - it isn't finished loading but somehow it's letting me play. Can I go back to looking at a load screen instead?"

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Skylock00

Well, both would be ideal. But Mass Effect's way cheapens the experience and hurts it worse, in my opinion. The game is affected by it instead of the player's patience being tested. Neither are ideal, but one is broken and the other is merely annoying.

Shame-usBlackley

*shrugs* Both are broken, in my book, and if it's going to be broken, I'd simply rather not be waiting around for it to be broken, since the former gets me through the game faster. Mass Effect justified it's problems to me with its combat and development systems, something that I'm not sure Lost Odyssey is going to do, but I'll figure that out when I play it.