lost essence of gamers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f46e0cd82a68
deactivated-5f46e0cd82a68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f46e0cd82a68
Member since 2006 • 352 Posts

I`ve come to the understanding that gamers today have forgotten the true essence of gaming.and have turned themselves into nothing more than critics and bashers. Truth is years ago people played games to have fun and to be entertained and also to immerse themselves within the game.take year ago someone would read the book the hobbit and imagined themselves with them the world and enjoyed the story.but today that same book would be torn a part and criticized and bashed.i believe people today have lost there way and have forgotten the true essence of why they game or even watch movies and read books.we have become a world full of hate and complaints. to see the truth in front of our selves. i`m posting this to see what others think as well .

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Yeah this reminds me of that time I was looking at a lamp
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Don't take SW or 13-year-olds on Xbox Live as representing everyone who plays video games. Most gamers still play to entertain themselves.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
moisture is the essence of gamers
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
moisture is the essence of gamersKiIIyou
:lol: I love Zoolander
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I think whats lost is trying to make a game with good game design. Instead they try to pander to what they think people want. This is what has lost the essence of gaming if anything.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I miss the days where I would go into Target and buy whichever game looked coolest without having read anything about it beforehand.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#8 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

I`ve come to the understanding that gamers today have forgotten the true essence of gaming.and have turned themselves into nothing more than critics and bashers. Truth is years ago people played games to have fun and to be entertained and also to immerse themselves within the game.take year ago someone would read the book the hobbit and imagined themselves with them the world and enjoyed the story.but today that same book would be torn a part and criticized and bashed.i believe people today have lost there way and have forgotten the true essence of why they game or even watch movies and read books.we have become a world full of hate and complaints. to see the truth in front of our selves. i`m posting this to see what others think as well .

resident_jisen

Pretty sure mostly everyone still does this. Why else would you play a video game?

And no, I don't think much has changed about gamers from back then. The difference is the internet. Back then, only a small number of proffessional magazines could provide reviews and critique on a game. Now every monkey with internet access and a computer can have their voice heard thanks to the internet. People will and have always been hating and complaining about everything in existence, not even just games. I don't think gamers have lost their "essence" (or at least I sure as hell haven't). The internet just amplifies the hate and complaining that was previously unheard of.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
When people have more exposure to something, they can better see it's flaws, but also have a much greater appreciation for when it is made well. Don't take the constant bashing by some people as a survey of all gamers. If you pay attention to the people doing it, it's mostly all the same group of people. Not everyone is like that. The internet is huge. Forums are small. Also, avoid System Wars like the plague.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

resident_jisen

QFT

It's sad really, I want to say this is limited to system wars but it really isn't, I've seen it on other game forums and even in conversations I hear when I'm out with friends.

It's sad that people are trying to be a game critic and pretend a game that isn't a 9-10 scoring game it is worth jack ****. I feel dirty even calling myself a gamer now and days cause it has just turned into a epeen flexing,system fanboy bantering holy crusade. People don't even play games to have fun anymore....which is the point of being a gamer.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
I think you're forgetting what it means to be human. Back then, the internet was not this worldwide either.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

I think whats lost is trying to make a game with good game design. Instead they try to pander to what they think people want. This is what has lost the essence of gaming if anything.

edinsftw

Pretty much this

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts
I agree. It seems some gamers are too hyper-critical with games these days and suffer from a rose-tinted view of games prior. Even when praising games that they do like it isn't enough to just praise it on it's own, they need to bash a similar game or even one that isn't similar in an effort to raise the status of the game they do like.
MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MarkAndExecute
Member since 2012 • 450 Posts
There has always been critics since gaming began its inception. Its only that with the advent of the internet did it become much more apparent.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

The has always will be comments that are over critical of meaningless details. If you watch a movie with space ship and you get sound you get some one make the comment about there should not be sound in space. It does not changeif the movie is good or different. An example is having more than one disc to a game.

I sure they are many that play and enjoy games and do not make comments.

Also it seem that most people only remember the more negative comments made.