Lords of the Fallen: More than just a Souls clone

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ezioprez9709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ezioprez9709
Member since 2012 • 742 Posts

I've been playing some Lords of the Fallen recently on my PS4, and I'm loving it. I can't seem to understand the hate for it though. Sure, it has it's fair share of glitches and it is apparently easier than Dark Souls but it's still a solid game. It does borrow more than a few things from that franchise, but they've been refined, so new players (like myself) can get to grips with it all.

Now I'm not going to spoil much or say anything about the pros or cons, because I'm planning to review this game sometime in 2016, if my laptop will get it's act together. With that being said, I'll only going to talk about the first few minutes of gameplay. The game thrusts you straight into the deep end if you're not familiar with the DS games, so you might be a bit lost, but not for too long. During loading screens, tips will appear, explaining specific things and explaining things that you probably didn't know already. You can also collect loot from fallen enemies, which can be handy. You'll get things such as weapons, sealed runes, quest items and miscellaneous items. Sealed runes may look useless at first, but trust me, they will have a purpose later on. It can feel overwhelming at first, because you'll encounter the first boss of the game in only a couple of minutes, which caught me off guard. Happily, I was able to defeat him in two attempts. After this fight, the game teaches you how to bank your XP and level up, allowing you to spend spell and attribute points to upgrade your stats. Once you've learned all that, it's time to prove your worth out of the tutorial area.

After descending a flight of stairs, you'll eventually venture outside into the freezing cold weather. Snow lies on the ground, flakes drop from the sky, and enemies wait to feast on your fresh blood. You'll notice how meaty the combat is by now. It feels heavy and realistic. Since you carry a lot of heavy equipment during the start of the game (depending on what class you selected), you're movement will be slow to start off with. Rolling out of the way of an attack will take some getting used to, and you're stamina will deplete very quickly. Fortunately, you have spells and special attacks called gauntlets to help you in battle. Spells range from clones of yourself to fool enemies and to help you escape when your health is low to ramming into people from a distance. Gauntlets, on the other hand, play a different role. You can use them to perform ranged attacks if you can't afford to get close to your foe. To get the edge between you and your enemies, you'll need to mix up your play styles. Go in for melee attacks and back away when you need to, and wait for openings during an attack pattern, etc...

If you're into RPGs, you should consider buying this game. It has many things to keep you occupied. Some people tend to give up once they reach the second boss (due to the difficulty) but honestly, it's worth playing through. Killing your enemies and reaping the rewards never goes stale. Get this game if you haven't already, but prepare for a few rough edges, as it's not going to be easy.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

User Lists: 0

#1 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17764 Posts

I like it. It is like a mashup of Darksiders and Dark Souls. I enjoyed playing all the way through, but it is not very long. My main concern with the game is that the game world is not as varied as other games. What is there is good, but we need more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@BassMan said:

I like it. It is like a mashup of Darksiders and Dark Souls. I enjoyed playing all the way through, but it is not very long. My main concern with the game is that the game world is not as varied as other games. What is there is good, but we need more.

Yup, I also got a strong reminder of Darksiders.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I tried it 15 minutes and it was a looking good.

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

I wouldn't say it's "inspired" by Dark Souls as much as it "attempts to copy Dark Souls 1:1."

It's a Souls clone that doesn't have that brilliant level design, quality atmosphere, or variety. I hope you enjoy snowy castles, because that's where you are for the entire game. You leave the first snowy castle to go to another snowy castle, and then after that it's another snowy castle!

It's not a horrible game, it's just boring. It's mediocre. It doesn't have a soul. It's a game that makes me wonder why I would spend my time playing it when there are so many unique and interesting games to try.

Ezioprez9709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ezioprez9709

@BassMan: Couldn't agree with you more. Needs to be many more hours. I haven't even finished the game and I can already tell that it won't be as long as Dark Souls.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

I find it funny that people outright attack it for not being as good as DS/BB yet they have not played it

It's a good game 7.5/10 to a 8.5/10 that BB and DS games are

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

I got it for $9 on an accidental listing that only last a few hours before being removed from the Xbox One digital store but snagged it before that happened thankfully; really enjoyed it too.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

It's fine, but it wasn't a lovingly crafted game. It was Bro-souls lite-mayo.

jKryptonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 jKryptonite
Member since 2013 • 118 Posts

Just wanted to add that this is nothing like dark souls when it comes to atmosphere or combat. I love DS and was reallly disappointed in this game..don't let the screenshots fool you!!

Ezioprez9709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ezioprez9709

@jKryptonite: Each to their own, I respect your opinion.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I've had it for a while, but the combat is kinda frustrating! I think once I final get the hang of it, it could be a fun game.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

Looking forward to the review later this year, I think I might finally have to give in and buy this game. I remember thinking it was a solid Souls style game, though at the time I had not realized I was already burnt out on Souls games. When I get back to feeling like getting my ass kicked again, I'll probably pick this game up cheap.

Ezioprez9709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ezioprez9709

@suicidesn0wman: Glad to hear it! Don't forget to follow me, you might just miss the review.