RonnieAV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RonnieAV
Member since 2016 • 100 Posts

I'm going to assume it's another one of those RPG series where the numbers mean nothing and I can jump in anywhere without feeling lost. So which of the DQ games would you recommend I try first?

Cheddarchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 105

#2  Edited By Cheddarchet
Member since 2006 • 375 Posts

Having only played the DS entries so far, I'd heartily recommend number 5. I thought it's story presentation was fairly unique among most JRPGs, and it's the one that drew me in the most. I don't know if this is normal for later titles in the series, but in that game you actually play the protagonist from early childhood to early adulthood. Give it a shot!

Baron_Machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Baron_Machina
Member since 2017 • 273 Posts

@ronnieav: You'd be correct, like Final Fantasy each game takes place in it's own world and story.

Definitely a fantastic RPG series though, I started with 8 back on the PS2. Has the best story and visuals hands down in my opinion, and is still my favorite in the series, as well as one of my favorite JRPGs period. 4 and 5 are also great entry points into the series as well.

Ultimately, though, Dragon Quest is just simple enough that it doesn't overwhelm you with lore or terminology, while at the same time still having some depth to it, so none of the main games are really a bad start to the series. I haven't played the original 3 games though, as I focused on the DS/3DS ports after I played 8, so I can't speak for the early games.

Hope you have fun!

RonnieAV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RonnieAV
Member since 2016 • 100 Posts

@baron_machina:
@Cheddarchet:

Thanks guys! I'll look into V DS and VIII 3DS

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I agree that either V or VIII would be a good place to start. I recently picked up VII but haven't played it yet. For the early ones, III is quite good for it's time and I feel it's aged better than some other NES RPGs. However though I did play the GBC version so it may have some updates.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44093 Posts

I'd very much recommend Dragon Quest VIII to start.

Avatar image for deactivated-63df62ba1a897
deactivated-63df62ba1a897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7 deactivated-63df62ba1a897
Member since 2013 • 935 Posts

If you're looking for something more "old-school" 4-5-6 are all great entry points with great stories. DQ8 goes more down the path of 3D RPGs that were more frequent after Final Fantasy 7. It's also a great jumping on point with a straightforward story and fun voice acting.

While it's cool that DQ7 was finally re-released, I'd only recommend that if you end up really, really, really loving the franchise and are ready for a very long slog.

Glitch-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Glitch-
Member since 2016 • 287 Posts

I really really reccomend you start with Dragon Quest 8. Trust me, I think it will be the easiest to get into for you.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#9 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

I would recommend Dragon Quest VIII either on the PS2 or 3DS you can easily spent hours exploring and 3D visuals look impressive. But would also recommend Dragon Quest III on Game Boy Colour