Looking for post-apocalypse game, but not a shooter.

guelder_rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 guelder_rose
Member since 2018 • 19 Posts

I'm a bit tired of shooters. That is called 'played too much', heh.

But theme of post-apocalypse attracts me. Are there games describing world after its end in all genres excepting shooters?

Suggest me any game, even bad known - I have mood and time to try everything.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

There are actually quite a few. If you like detailed RPGs, Wasteland 2 is a good one. Kickstarter successor to the original Wasteland, which was the original game that the Fallout series was based on. The original Fallout 1 and 2 are older DOS-based games but you can get them on Steam and they are great. Frostpunk is a strategy game that's consistently highly reviewed. The Dead Rising series is along the lines of a zombie apocalypse series that's 3rd person melee combat with massive amounts of zombies onscreen at once. Yakuza: Dead Souls is a spinoff of the Yakuza series that takes place in a zombie apocalypse, but it's a bit of a 3rd person shooter so maybe not. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is such a game based on Chinese mythology (sort of). Darksiders is literally about your character being a horseman of the apocalypse beginning the end of the world after being tricked into it. Dead State is a Fallout-style game set in a zombie apocalypse.

That's just a few I can think of off the top of my head.

-Byshop

guelder_rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 guelder_rose
Member since 2018 • 19 Posts

@Byshop: Thanks for your reply, you've described so many games! Happy to see zombie theme and not one. Frostpunk seems to be very and very interesting. I rarely try myself in this genre, but the idea of cold is cool.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#4 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Mad Max is mostly driving and hand-to-hand combat.

SOMA technically fits I think... it has more of a Bioshock/Dead Space vibe but it's definitely not a shooter.

Dying Light has some shooting but I'd say it's much more focused on melee weapons like swords and stuff.

Motorstorm: Apocalypse... okay, this one is stretch. It's a racing game but the setting definitely has the post-apocalyptic vibe.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

I believe a new Hokuto no Ken game came out in Summer. It's essentially a 3D Beat em' Up. Has some loose controls and a lot of cutscenes, so if that puts you off? better to avoid. It's very violent

Based on a Weekly Shōnen series from the 80's, more or less known as a male power fantasy.

MisterVulpes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MisterVulpes
Member since 2018 • 797 Posts

@guelder_rose:

Mutant year zero is pretty good, and pretty original.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#7 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

I believe a new Hokuto no Ken game came out in Summer. It's essentially a 3D Beat em' Up. Has some loose controls and a lot of cutscenes, so if that puts you off? better to avoid. It's very violent

Based on a Weekly Shōnen series from the 80's, more or less known as a male power fantasy.

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise came out worldwide just this last October. It's by the same developers as the Yakuza games and follows a similar semi-open world beat-em-up formula. It's pretty cool, especially if you're a fan of the source material, but I haven't found it as fun as the Yakuza games because the setting is less interesting to me, personally. Maybe the op would really like it, though.

-Byshop