Looking for a good looter shooter with little to no story.

TamimIqbal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By TamimIqbal
Member since 2021 • 2 Posts

I've been playing games like Warframe, Borderlands, Hades/Dead Cells, and Diablo 3 for a long time now and am getting kind of tired of them since I feel like I did everything that need to be done. I was wondering if anyone have any suggestions? I also use to love Dungeon Defenders 2 but when I try to get back into i appvalley t recently it seems like the devs just abandoned the game and went to the pay to play route. I was also eyeing Orcs must die 3 but many r tutuapp eviews say that it can get repetitive fast, even for a orc must die game.

I'm looking for a looter shooter, dungeon crawler, or rougelite that dont have to much story and let you kill a lot of things fast with big numbers. Thanks.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9822 Posts

On pc? Console?

The Ascent was well worth playing, one of the rare games where I’m actually going to buy the DLC. Simple fun and run with weapon and armour upgrades. Loved the aesthetics.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts

If on P.C? probably worth considering Cyberpunk, the CDPR purists claim it runs fine.

It's not really an RPG either and story is pretty linear. Marketing was extremely misleading and from what I've played (only played some on PS5 and ran like ass), seen and read it is basically a single player Boarderlands. So in all intents and purposes Cyberpunk is a looter shooter.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1351 Posts

Diablo 2 remastered? I haven’t really heard much about it since it’s release though, I also just finished grinding the hell outta Diablo 3, and tbh I’m not in a hurry to play anything similar for a long time lol.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Grim Dawn

Avatar image for blackacezero777
blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6 blackacezero777
Member since 2021 • 353 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

If on P.C? probably worth considering Cyberpunk, the CDPR purists claim it runs fine.

W-what do you mean by that?! If it is giving you problems, then you must be playing on a potato!!!/s (I strongly would've put some exaggerated specs on here just to run the joke home, but I am not well versed with the PC specs and such.)

blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By blackacezero777

Possibly Enter the Gungeon if it is considered a Looter Shooter. Does seem like it has a story, but only if you are looking for it. Outside of that, pure gameplay.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 947 Posts

Destiny 2

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RSM-HQ
@blackacezero777 said:

W-what do you mean by that?! If it is giving you problems, then you must be playing on a potato!!!/s (I strongly would've put some exaggerated specs on here just to run the joke home, but I am not well versed with the PC specs and such.)

I don't know what you are trying to defend here, did you like Witcher so much that you feel obligated to defend this turd despite numourous sources show that it is in fact a piece of ****

You should have read the rest of my post anyhow, only played Cyberpunk on PS5 and around its launch, it was gifted to me despite me not really being excited for the game, and I traded it after a few hours of play. Sure I played the worst possible version but from my understanding grabbing it on P.C. would only make a minor difference if I wanted to look at raytracing, and be drunk on ignorance to all the games shortcomings. Supporting a con also just isn't something I like to be apart of.

I have a fairly decent P.C. that can run Baldur's Gate III on high settings and a pretty (mostly) stable 60FPS. A game worth playing on the platform (despite being an Early Access short demo currently). Also BGIII is by Larian Studios, an actually decent RPG developer.

Doesn't change that a vocal sum who only game on P.C. like to spout nonsense that CDPR have done no wrong, and never have; despite videos with people using a full decked out P.C. with the highest rated cards on the market, showcasing many issues with the game.

Loading Video...

I know what you are thinking? that was just launch, it's much better now

You can look up "Cyberpunk P.C. still broken" and find videos less than a week old_

Loading Video...

Defending this game reminds me so much of Anthem, people are loyal to a label, not the game itself. I'd love to forgive this POS of a game if it was but a F2P Beta, an Early Access game, heck. . a Kickstarter demo.

But it's not! Wasn't marketed as such. They tricked people foolish enough to buy into the hype, we it call buyers remorse. Those defending it as one of the greatest games ever made I consider in denial. And honestly am sick of people supporting bad business.

Either way it is a looter shooter, so still fits this thread. It cannot seriously be considered an RPG for what linearity it offers.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58393 Posts

Off the top of my head:

• The Ascent, an isometric action loot n shoot set in a neat cyberpunk world. Available on Game Pass.
  • Grim Dawn, a "Diablo clone" with tons of loot and cool character builds. One of the better isometric action-RPG's out there.
  • Titan Quest, basically the same as Grim Dawn (same developer) but set in various mythologies from Greek to Egypt to China.
  • The Division 2, the only looter-shooter I was actually able to enjoy. It has some story but overall pretty light, you can just jump in and out of the game with ease. Really great game with pretty good end-game content.
  • The Riftbreaker, a top-down twin-stick shooter where you build a base on a alien planet. Harvest resources and defend against swarms of enemies. Not really much looting, but it scratches that "mindless kill everything in sight" itch. Available on Game Pass.
  • Outriders is a "Destiny clone" and I found it a bit more interesting than Destiny. It's a third-person looter shooter where you act as a hero on a planet. There's quite a bit of story, but it's all typical sci-fi drivel you can skip and it gets light once you're past the initial prologue part of the game. Available Game Pass
  • Warhammer 40K: Inquisitory - Prophecy this game had a rocky start but it has turned into a pretty fun Diablo clone set in the Warhammer 40K universe. Play as one of many classes against hordes of enemies. Power swords, bolters, psychic powers, giant hammers, claws, plasma weapons, and more!
  • Warhammer - Vermentide 2 is a group-vs-swarm game (think Left 4 Dead) that has you teaming up with three other players (or AI) in the fantasy world of Warhammer. There's swarms of rat-men, Chaos soldiers, and you slice them up or shoot them up and earn loot. It is well-supported by the developer, with constant updates and lots of community events.
@RSM-HQ said:

It's not really an RPG either and story is pretty linear. Marketing was extremely misleading and from what I've played (only played some on PS5 and ran like ass), seen and read it is basically a single player Boarderlands. So in all intents and purposes Cyberpunk is a looter shooter.

I'd be disappointed if someone recommended Cyberpunk as a looter-shooter and substitute for Borderlands.

Not because I think it's a bad game--I enjoyed it, though I won't defend it from anyone that disagrees; the game is marred by technical issues--but because it's a first-person action-RPG with a lot of great story and exploration and such.

Definitely does not scratch the same itch as Diablo and Borderlands.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RSM-HQ
@mrbojangles25 said:

I'd be disappointed if someone recommended Cyberpunk as a looter-shooter and substitute for Borderlands.

Not because I think it's a bad game--I enjoyed it, though I won't defend it from anyone that disagrees; the game is marred by technical issues--but because it's a first-person action-RPG with a lot of great story and exploration and such.

Definitely does not scratch the same itch as Diablo and Borderlands.

Didn't really get that far in but have seen many compare it to a lootershooter/ aka/ Boarderlands. How accurate those statements are is debateable in itself. I'd have to know how loot fully works in the game for extended runs.

If I put it more simply I think if someone enjoys it for what it actually is that is a'ok. I call it a POS, though I also like games that are considered a POS. I've put hundreds of hours into Quake: Champions yet am not in line to defend that game for all its flaws. I can call it a fun competitive shooter when it wants to work but it will frustrate many just finding a decent match. Probably also enjoy Champions because of my love for Arena Shooters.

Issue with CP2077 is it isn't everything some say it is. And I dislike lies more than anything else. It is not futuristic Grand Theft Auto with meaningful choices, it is not a spiritual successor to Deus Ex (on marketing I can see the comparison but in execution it's a slap to fans of Deus Ex).

It is a buggy open world shooter, so best compared to other buggy shooters. Closer to RAGE games or Mad Max the video game maybe?

"Warhammer - Vermentide 2"

Amazing game, and I do not even like War Hammer. I never really considered Horde/ Survival Shooters for this but they do have loot systems which would probably scratch the itch.

blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By blackacezero777
@RSM-HQ said:
@blackacezero777 said:

I don't know what you are trying to defend here, did you like Witcher so much that you feel obligated to defend this turd despite numourous sources show that it is in fact a piece of ****

Let me...Let me stop you real quickly...I skimmed this a bit and dude, this was literally a joke. Like, I usually make a /s to show that it is a joke and not me being serious (I have it in my original post. It may not be used accurately, but I can assure you it was a tongue-in-cheek joke). I'm actually on your side with Cyberpunk, it's an argument that I feel can be used against the major gaming mentality when it comes to certain aspects of gaming considering how many blindly defended this.

@RSM-HQ said:
@blackacezero777 said:

Doesn't change that a vocal sum who only game on P.C. like to spout nonsense that CDPR have done no wrong, and never have; despite videos with people using a full decked out P.C. with the highest rated cards on the market, showcasing many issues with the game.

THIS was what I was joking about. Trust me, I know about how they acted during this whole fiasco. I already knew this game was a pipe dream, and I am still upset it was nothing that it claimed to be. I still would like to try it eventually, I like the Cyberpunk aesthetic. Hell, I don't even play on P.C., thus is why I brought up why I don't know anything about the specs.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RSM-HQ

@blackacezero777:

Yes, my apologies. After looking over you did word it in a way to be as you described. I replied to that fairly late but still no excuse on my end.

Difficult to tell at times. Have had a few that throw that as a serious argument (you must be using a potato) in these forums, so can be rough seeing when someone is poking fun of the master race meme; or if someone has just embraced it as a bragging right (it was literally created as a joke by a gag critic/ novel writer)

Many Witcher fans have a similar mindset to Last of Us fans and that the developer is free'd from criticism even when they make questionable decisions.

Anyhow as I noted with @mrbojangles25 nothing wrong with liking a game that doesn't live up and in all manner could be deemed bad. Heck I enjoy a lot of early Yoko Taro games, and they are bad games with very bad and repetitive design.

So long as what it is doing 'right' is something one enjoys, that's a'ok. Defending sloppy coding is my only real bother from fans acting like all the issues do not exist.

CDPR was filled with empty promises for CP2077 but it still is a futuristic sandbox with a lot of guns and vehicles. I can see someone having fun if they can get over it being in Fall Out 76 levels of polish.

blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blackacezero777

@RSM-HQ: It's fine. And I actually understand. I got a good chuckle out of it lol (literally reminded me of that Military/Marine shitpost).

Personally, I have a particular distaste for P.C. Elitism as I dealt with it first hand in a back and forth I had gotten to online back when I was in High School over a decade ago. I think this was when the Elitism started becoming a thing or people had already expressed their frustrations with that community. In summary: was called a "kid" (to give an example: "you're just a kid" and "look at this kid having an opinion") because I genuinely asked what Duke Nukem was and why it was important, and since I didn't know that made me a "kid who didn't have an opinion." Tack onto that that anything I was saying further to that just came with the same mocking "kid" comment and the person who I was actually friends with (this was her friend I was going back and forth with) tells that she is going to be like a "Mom" to me and I should listen to him because, basically, "he's the adult in the room" (both of them were only 2 to 3 years older than me and hadn't even clocked in to their 20s to even be acknowledged as such).

So yeah, let me be clear: when I make a comment such as that, unless I specifically make it known otherwise, it is me mocking them. P.C. Elitism deserves all of the mocking it gets. Hell, it's only until in recent years that I have even given consideration to playing on such a Platform. For all of their defense, they are not bringing people to the platform, but rather pushing people away with such an attitude.

I'm surprised (a bit) by the Witcher community. I have my particular gripes with TLoU, but I would've expected better from them. To be honest, I don't know much about the community up until 3, so it seems like a lot of their blind defense came when that game became a huge deal, at least in my perspective. I personally did not care for the blind defense of Cyberpunk because, like Anthem: it will be the gaming community at large yelling at people who defend the game, and say it is setting a bad precedent along with the idea that developers shouldn't be trusted, but immediately turn around and do exactly that with CDProjekt Red.

There's a lot of games that I do like that are considered bad by the gaming community as a whole. One in particular was Sonic '06. Personally, I feel the issues that the game has are heavily overexaggerated, especially since it became sort of a meme. I haven't dealt with the issues that most bring up, so my experience is a bit different with the game, and tack that on to the fact that I played it at the time when Game Reviews did not influence the majority of opinions on games. So my experience with it was my own personal experience, and I still like it to this day. It is one that I would like to eventually see an official remake to see what they originally had in mind.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RSM-HQ

@blackacezero777: P.C. fans have one arguably fair reason to be absolute shills/ jerks and that is for the longest time it was the frowned upon way to play video games. Think it as what mobile is today. And comments such as "P.C. is dead" "lol P.C." was common in any given gaming forum/ comment section.

I never cared what I play a game on so long as it's a good time. And do enjoy some games on P.C. admittedly dislike console/ platform wars too; feel it benefits no one. Competition is good and most these devices/ hardware offer something different. Those who act as if one option has everything, are frankly blissfully ignorant. It is ok to pick one but don't be a **** about it. Unless a company is funding the fandom (which is 0% likely) who are these people really doing it for? Well the answer is simply to justify ones purchase, as they're too closed minded to consider alternative options.

As someone who enjoys a few P.C. games I can tell you that person was just a jerk; Duke Nukem was never that important and has one good game. I think Duke 3D is a legit shooter that is in many ways better than id Softwares D00M duo games. Difference is id Software followed up with Quake, and the eventual Quake III Arena. They also did two great D00M games recently. 3D Realms would not do anything relevant outside being a decent publisher in 2020 to indie games; that admittedly I enjoyed more than D00M 2016.

As far as 3D Sonic the Hedgehog games are concerned I've always deemed that as a mistake on SEGA and Team Sonics part. Nights into Dreams was the way to go in the 3D space and the game itself is very enjoyable. It was the logical way to go because Sonic was designed around hardware originally, as was Alex, Nights was no different-

Alex Kidd/Sonic Hedgehog/ Nights

SEGA was too stubborn to let go of Sonic the Hedgehog. Adventure wasn't the beginning of this downfall, it was Sonic 3D on the Saturn. While people like Sonic, it was not simply a cool character, people enjoyed those games. SEGA went against the reason many enjoyed the older games, which was a interesting spin on platforming. Now just a miss in three dimensions.

Future games would priorities speed and how many new goofy characters they could throw on screen. One of the best 3D Sonic games Unleashed from my understanding is the one that borrows a lot from God of War with the main protag turning into a Were'hog. So in my view if SEGA had more confidence in the Nights franchise, Team Sonic would not be the meme it is today. They didn't just make one rough/ bad game. . they kept making more with learning few lessons along the way. And I also feel they are that bad because it was more about quantity over quality. They released a lot of Sonic games year after year. They get some beloved games such as Colors and Generations in the 3D space, though it is lightning in a bottle and they was overdue from all the negativity they receive. Am sure some of the games have better qualities than others but they are mostly rough, unfinished, rushed games.

On a lighter note I got the Alex Kidd Remake this year and that was pretty fun. Makes what SEGA did with Sonic that much more impressive as Alex is admittedly quite generic and Sonic the Hedgehog (2D retro games +Mania) have a very different feel and depth to other 2D Platformers (Freedom Planet is a decent alternative to 2D Sonic)

I too prefer personal experience over any given review. However will not play everything admittedly. Once a developer has disappointed me, I see no reason to consider them unless they've given me a lot of great games prior, or had a huge staff shake-up.

Only other reason I would try a developer again after being underwhelmed is if word is positive, and I've dived into multitude of opinions that reinforce something interesting.

I had this recently with Bioware, who I admittedly do not like. Previously I played Dragon Age Origin, Inquisition, and Anthem. I do not like any of them. Though after all the buzz with the ported ME trilogy, and after doing a lot of QnAs with people who have played it I grabbed a copy for myself. And it wasn't too bad. I actually had some fun with the games.

blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blackacezero777

@RSM-HQ:

Ok, fair. I can definitely see that being a reason why they are like that, I personally find Consoles to be the more "organic" way of playing games, and P.C. only wins by default because of the fact that it sports specs that can be upgraded to help make games run/look better. Yeah see, my time with community boards and such were around the 2012-2015 time, so I missed out on a lot of the development of how the gaming community came to be now and where the attitude from P.C. gamers came from. I came right in when the P.C. Master Race was a problem within the community and slowly became a meme as time went on, but also when P.C. was being considered as a rival platform. For me, I have a lot of catching up to do when it comes to the years that lead into the internet and social media boom.

Pretty much I feel the same way about any platform. In a lot of subjects, I never really had a bias towards any platform because go back far enough, I was playing certain MMOs at the time like FusionFall and the like. And even in my childhood, I did play those educational games on P.C. while also playing games on Console. It’s everybody else that brought it to me (this is with a lot of subjects), much in the same way as the Console Wars but I admittedly got swept up in the Xbox bashing during the launch of the Xbox One. How they handled that launch was not good and kept me from getting one for a long time and I am only now considering even getting one.

I forgot what specifically caused us to get on the topic of Duke Nukem (I know I asked, but I believe it was something he said immediately prior to that that I could’ve asked about), but I do remember it was a day or two before Max Payne 3 came out on Console to give a specific time. His smart idea was to try to correct me on the date until he recognized he was thinking of the P.C. release. So basically, because of Quake and DOOM, they never tried to do anything else with Duke Nukem? To be honest, I don’t have much of a desire to go back and try the old DOOM games. Something about them don’t appeal to me like the recent DOOM games (even Wolfenstein. I played the two recent games plus that DLC game and something about them weren’t appealing to me). DOOM 2016 and Eternal is where my heart is at, and while I can be wrong about this, it feels like people didn’t act like experts or veterans of DOOM until the recent games. Like they didn’t give a damn until they came.

As the great Green Goblin said,

Loading Video...

So I’ll give a bit of my thoughts on the Sonic Franchise. My thoughts are more based on the fanbase because they are, for lack of better terms, “unique” in their following and I have had plenty of experience with them: To me, I feel SEGA really didn’t make mistakes concerning the franchise. This doesn’t come from blind fanboyism, but more so observation throughout the years of how they responded to fans of their games in general. They were showing to be listening and responding to fans about their demands and critiques of the games, but it seems like it was never enough. The 3D transition was inevitable as many games were going this road, and I feel the way they did it was the right way. I get what you are saying about the Nights, and having played the Wii game, I can tell I will enjoy the original, but it doesn’t feel like it was fully taking advantage of the 3D space. Adventure was, to me, the right and logical way to transition someone like Sonic into the 3D realm.

And to be real, a lot of the games created are very solid games. It seems that a lot of the criticism is the perception around the games and having unrealistic expectations. I cannot tell you how much I have heard that the series should either go the route of super serious and dark, lighthearted and funny, or some middle-ground. They may have made a few mistakes, but a lot of the games that are considered this are never brought up unless conversations like me and you are having, come up. The focus is on one specific game and every game afterward has been compared to that or seeing if it can exceed the expectations of 06. It’s not Shadow the Hedgehog, it’s not any of the other ones that are considered bad, it is just 06 and every damn time a new game comes out this is brought up immediately. It’s hard for me to say any game is bad because my time with them were always phenomenal, it is just where I place them in so much of what I like the most. Plus, as 5 to 10 years go by, I find the fanbase now looks back on these games and really ask if they were bad, two of them that have gotten this treatment (at least from what I remember on Reddit) is 06 and Unleashed. So, for me, it isn’t so much of a quality problem, but more of a perception problem. It doesn’t help when you have YouTube, Game Grumps, and the like who cultivate this mentality and keep this meme going.

And even to the point of them leaning more into the Classic Style, they did. Sonic Advance, Rush, and Rivals (all of which were strongly solid portable titles, especially the Advance and Rush series. Plus, it kept the core classic gameplay but modernized it.) but for some reason these games are ignored by the larger part of the fanbase. I am not sure if this is because it goes against the meme of series not having “good games,” or people just didn’t know about it. I say the fanbase majorly because, much of the confusion of where Sonic goes is because I see the fanbase is particularly fractured and seem to give mixed messages on where to go instead of drawing to some consensus. I feel the way they are going now, splitting Classic and Modern into their own separate titles, is one of the right ways because it does give the fanbase what they want, but allows both to embrace what they are and continue to move forward. Heck, in my opinion, I felt Lost World was a good blueprint of where Modern Sonic should go.

With the characters…I feel they are much more interesting and entertaining than most series that have lived as long as this series has. Er, considering how much the fanbase changes their opinion on a dime, I’ll give a more summary of what were considerably the more generally favorite games: Sonic Unleashed, Generations, and Colors. Throw in the racing and spin-offs as underrated, and, my personal opinion, Lost World as overhated (and I mean really overhated). I’ll summarize my thoughts as such: Sonic Team I am not sure about. But for the series in general, much of what could’ve been the standard and a great move for the series was either ignored in large and the ones that are hated are given way too much attention. The series isn’t really in a downfall in my opinion (there is too much to go against this), but I feel it is too much of playing to a fanbase that changes its mind on a dime and instead just focusing on a straightforward path that the series can take (for example, people wanted the series to take more time so that the games won’t be rushed….and now want some form of immediate information on the game). Plus, the fact that nobody wants a constructive discussion on this and would rather shit on than to really make some concrete decisions is another factor. The games in a large part are still very solid, and I feel there still shows a sense of creativity for the series, so I think making something more focused would be the way. I have my own thoughts on what they should do that won’t alienate anyone. If you do want a specific opinion on the Modern games, just let me know. I’m planning on going back and replaying Lost World, and eventually get to Colors.

On a side note, have you ever seen that fan made game that was all drawn like Cuphead that plays like the Classic games? I feel this is what the Classic games should be like artistic-wise. I know of Freedom Planet and plan on playing it eventually. Alex Kidd…Hmm…I’ll need to see some gameplay before I play it.

Same here, though for different reasons. Like I said before, if we are to be honest with ourselves, we would all find something that is amoral within the industry like any other, though there are some exceptions that cross a fine line. My issue really comes down to if the game comes off interesting. If it doesn’t, I probably will ignore it, but sometimes I will give it a second chance. Oh, ME was actually good, I played the trilogy that came out during the PS3 era. Funny story: the ending to 3 was kind of a sour experience for me and pushed me to trade the game in through Amazon. One day during its transit, I came to the conclusion that my journey was very fun and an ending shouldn’t dictate my feelings on the games and I tried to cancel it until I found out they lost it.