Looking back... is MGS2 one of the greatest games ever? (SPOILERS)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#1 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I recently played MGS2... and I have to say, of the main MGS games I;ve played (all but number 4) it's the worst. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad, but I think that it's not one of the all time greatest games. The main reason being the story.

It just got so ridiculously convoluted, complex and over the top by the end of the game... you'd need to draw a flow chart to understand it. At first, I could follow it pretty well, basically up until the cutscene after fighting all of the MG RAYS, but after that, it just got ridiculous. (I'm ignoring how annoying Raiden is as a character.) Seriously, to me, it ceased to be a story and more just some crazy conspiracy.

Normally, I'm a "gameplay first" kind of guy... but, in the case of the MG games, exceptions have to be made, since there is so much emphasis on story. And, I'm sorry, the story just became too much near the end of the game.

Now, again, I'm not saying it's a bad game, just that, for the type of game it is, the story isn't what it should be... MGS1 and MGS3 had complex stories, but they were still fairly easy to understand. (For the most part.) The gameplay was also fun, as were many of the boss battles. I just didn't tihnk the story matched up... also, I know this is cliche, but Raiden and his GF are just obnoxious.

What say you Legacy?

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

First MGS game I ever played was Snake Eater, and then recently I got a copy of MGS2: The Subsistanecasdnasjd version or whatever. The good one.

I can't finish it. I've been spoiled by Snake Eater. I hate Raiden, the story is whacked beyond belief, and.. it just isn't Snake Eater.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#3 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I really don't get people's problem with Raiden, he isn't a bad character, the argument most people give is "he's whiny", though he doesn't complain THAT much to be considered a bad character, and it was a good change from the "mighty badass" Snake. I really don't understand most peoples hate for him, and I think most of the hate only comes from him NOT being Snake, instead of being an actual bad character. That said, I agree with you about the story, it was going smoothly until the MG Ray part, then it went downhill. The gameplay is also great in the game, had tons of fun with it. The fortunate part is that the story only breaks apart at the very end, so most of the game you play is quite solid, although it is a huge downpoint having a bad ending, I'm atleast happy most the game until then has solid story/gameplay.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Great game, and underrated, but part of the draw of these games--at least to me--are the characters. The overweight man with rollerskates? C'mon now. MGS didn't have one weak character, imo. The same could be said for MGS3...and I must mention the AMAZING sniper duel.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

I agree. MGS2 is still an amazing game but Metal Gear Solid and Snake Eater (especially Snake Eater) found that perfect balance between story driven narrative and gameplay. MGS2, much like MGS4, got too caught up in it's own story and the story became a vessel for the gameplay and not the other way around; like it should be.

I'm hoping that with the newly announced MGS5, Kojima Pro. goes back to what made Snake Eater so good; a tight, focused narrative that supplemented sandbox gameplay.

Edit: I don't mind Raiden one bit. I actually think he's pretty badass.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 turtlethetaffer

I really don't get people's problem with Raiden, he isn't a bad character, the argument most people give is "he's whiny", though he doesn't complain THAT much to be considered a bad character, and it was a good change from the "mighty badass" Snake. I really don't understand most peoples hate for him, and I think most of the hate only comes from him NOT being Snake, instead of being an actual bad character. That said, I agree with you about the story, it was going smoothly until the MG Ray part, then it went downhill. The gameplay is also great in the game, had tons of fun with it. The fortunate part is that the story only breaks apart at the very end, so most of the game you play is quite solid, although it is a huge downpoint having a bad ending, I'm atleast happy most the game until then has solid story/gameplay.Dudersaper

Honestly, after the ending, what was accomplished? You're right, Raiden isn't bad, but, thinking about it, what was accomplished? We learned a vague notion of who the Patriots are... we were introduced to raiden and learned about his past... and a terrorist threat that was actually a conspiracy inside a conspiracy inside a real life simulation by people who have been dead for 100 years was averted.

Ultimately, I saw very little point in Raiden's whole scenario.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 turtlethetaffer

Great game, and underrated, but part of the draw of these games--at least to me--are the characters. The overweight man with rollerskates? C'mon now. MGS didn't have one weak character, imo. The same could be said for MGS3...and I must mention the AMAZING sniper duel.

Heirren

Honestly, I felt like the Cobra Unit could have been more well fleshed out... we weren't given a whole lot about them, unlike in MGS1, where we learned about their problems and dreams and actually cared about them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

turtlethetaffer

Honestly, I felt like the Cobra Unit could have been more well fleshed out... we weren't given a whole lot about them, unlike in MGS1, where we learned about their problems and dreams and actually cared about them.

SNake was the focus of the story, for the most part, though. I haven't played this game since it came out, though, so I could be missing something. I remember it being about Snake, the snake/boss relationship, and the origin of Metal Gear. I don't understand these kinds of complaints--people rag on Uncharted 3 for the same reasons, and it was a well told tale.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

In my opinion, yes, it is one of the greatest games of all time.

Replaying through games is a rarity for me. I haven't even replayed through a lot of my favorite games. I've never gotten platinum trophy in a game, I'm not like a trophy hunter that tries to 100% games. 99 times out of 100, I'll just play through a game once, and that will be the end of it.

There are exceptions for games that I really like. I've probably beaten Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty 20 times. I even went through it on Extreme difficulty, and got every single dog tag, and unlocked things like Bandana etc.

The game is a masterpiece.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts
I really liked the story, you never know what will happen next but the setting itself is lazy (imo) and some characters are just ridiculous
rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
In terms of overall greatness, it is definitely there. I love the story, voice acting, graphics, and overall very fun. :)
Jakandsig_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jakandsig_
Member since 2012 • 287 Posts
You hate Metal Gear solid 2 but say it's one of the greatest games ever? Ok, today is deal with the fanboys day. Ok firts of all how the F*ck does that make any sense? Oh and I know you din't think it was the greastest game back when it came out, when it was widely ignored by mos until 3 came out then all of a sudden 2 sold! The % rates arehiarious.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dudersaper
[QUOTE="Jakandsig_"]You hate Metal Gear solid 2 but say it's one of the greatest games ever? Ok, today is deal with the fanboys day.

He never said he hated it, by the contrary. You twisted his words. Don't ruin every thread with your childish trolling.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#14 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

I pretty much agree, I liked MGS2 alot, but it was still the weakest MGS game (though it might be better than MGS4, both have their issues).

Jakandsig_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jakandsig_
[QUOTE="Jakandsig_"]You hate Metal Gear solid 2 but say it's one of the greatest games ever? Ok, today is deal with the fanboys day. Dudersaper
He never said he hated it, by the contrary. You twisted his words. Don't ruin every thread with your childish trolling.

How can I twist the words? Look at the titles, look at the thread, 2 different things, he pretty much said he hated it, and yet called it the best game of all time. Are you not seeing this? It is clearly there I hab no idea why it's so hard for you to grasp the concwept here.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dudersaper
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="Jakandsig_"]You hate Metal Gear solid 2 but say it's one of the greatest games ever? Ok, today is deal with the fanboys day. Jakandsig_

How can I twist the words? Look at the titles, look at the thread, 2 different things, he pretty much said he hated it, and yet called it the best game of all time. Are you not seeing this? It is clearly there I hab no idea why it's so hard for you to grasp the concwept here.

Do you know what a question mark is?
Jakandsig_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jakandsig_
[QUOTE="Jakandsig_"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"]He never said he hated it, by the contrary. You twisted his words. Don't ruin every thread with your childish trolling.Dudersaper

Do you know what a question mark is?

You know what LOOKING BACK means? Do you know that he said he always felt? That means the whole thread is irrlevant. But fine I will leave you to your... lack of, logical conversation, please continue as I laugh in the background.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dudersaper
Yes, if you do "look back" as you said, he claims "Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad" and "Now, again, I'm not saying it's a bad game". You said he was saying it was the greatest game ever, he didn't, he was questioning. You said he said he hated the game, he didn't, he pointed out it's flaws but let us know he doesn't think it's bad. Yes, please do leave me and my "lack of logical conversation", we are looking forward to seeing your laughs directed at yourself.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="Jakandsig_"]You hate Metal Gear solid 2 but say it's one of the greatest games ever? Ok, today is deal with the fanboys day. Jakandsig_

Hey, dumbass, I was asking people, in the title, whether or not they thought the game is one of the best ever. I don't hate the game, I enjoyed it alot, actually, I just don;t think the story is up to par.

craigofadown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 craigofadown
Member since 2007 • 530 Posts

It's shamelessy metal gear solid-esque, the story is all over the place but that isn't necessarily bad, I felt that mgs4 was somewhat similar to the second in a lot of ways even if it is a much better game in terms of the characterisation. I, like many others just couldn't get over the poorly done love story the game wouldn't stop reminding me of.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#22 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

It's okay. It's been a long time since I played it though...

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
I remember hating the game, after the awesome metal gear solid 1, the sequel completly turned me off from the series, the worst part was without a doubt the story
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
It's a pretty good game but it's also my last favorite in the main Metal Gear Solid series.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

I think why there is such a polarized fanbase for this game is because of the story. If you accept it for what it is, and pay attention, there is certainly a rather rewarding payoff. But still...a big man on rollerskates?

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Metal Gear Solid is too much overrated.

craigofadown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 craigofadown
Member since 2007 • 530 Posts

tjricardo089

Please ellaborate :)

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I enjoyed it gameplay wise. But I hated the story and felt the cutscenes and codecs were excessive. Overall I prefered MGS1 and a ton of other games that gen over it including ZOE2.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rilpas

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

craigofadown

I have to agree with him though, I haven't played the series since MGS2, but I always felt the series gets too much praise the actual sneaking gameplay isn't that great when compared to thief or splinter cell and the story, while goofy, was enjoyable in MGS 1, but Sons of liberty was just insane, nothing in that plot made sense
arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 arkephonic

[QUOTE="craigofadown"]

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

rilpas

I have to agree with him though, I haven't played the series since MGS2, but I always felt the series gets too much praise the actual sneaking gameplay isn't that great when compared to thief or splinter cell and the story, while goofy, was enjoyable in MGS 1, but Sons of liberty was just insane, nothing in that plot made sense

What game is that in your sig?

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="craigofadown"]

arkephonic

Master of Orion 2, though my sig was just some clever photography, it's not really part of the game :P

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 arkephonic

[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"] I have to agree with him though, I haven't played the series since MGS2, but I always felt the series gets too much praise the actual sneaking gameplay isn't that great when compared to thief or splinter cell and the story, while goofy, was enjoyable in MGS 1, but Sons of liberty was just insane, nothing in that plot made senserilpas

Master of Orion 2, though my sig was just some clever photography, it's not really part of the game :P

Is Master of Orion your icon too?

Ooo, Gamespot liked it. 8.7/10.

"Players who love strategy games will go nuts for Master of Orion II."

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

arkephonic

Is Master of Orion your icon too?

Ooo, Gamespot liked it. 8.7/10.

"Players who love strategy games will go nuts for Master of Orion II."

yep, it is. Master of Orion 2 ended my social life :P

that and civilization 3:P

kingmav222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 kingmav222
Member since 2004 • 493 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the Metal Gear series, Snake Eater being my favorite of the series. When 2 came out I was absolutely blown away by the graphics, the gameplay and even the story (As crazy as it is). It is definitely one of the greatest games ever in my opinion. And as far as the Raiden hate goes... I look at it this way: by being forced to play as Raiden I felt that it made the character of Solid Snake seem even more impressive.

metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 metalgrinch
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

to be honest, I haven't understood ANY of the MGS games storylines completely. If you ask me, they were ALL somewhat convoluted! I still have no idea what La-le-loo-lay-lo means (are we supposed to?) Granted, I've only played through the original 3 MGS games, made it about 8 hours into the fourth (really should get back to it eventually).

Still, nothing will ever trump the epic EPIC time I had playing through the original on the PS1. I felt like the Mac daddy of gamers after I beat that one. Epic idea, fresh gameplay, it was unlike ANYTHING else before it at the time!

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Only MGS game I've played. And I was pretty confused by the end.