If you've played Resi4R then welcome! If you haven't and avoiding spoilers. . then you may wanna give this a miss for now as I will be spoiling some things best experienced yourself first. And I expect the same from any and everyone else diving into this game, just let out how you're feeling about this game; a remake of a beloved video game that had a huge impact for many developers and gamers alike.
Some of the things I'm going to note may be seen as tips so that may come in handy too.
For the record I am in that vocal group of "RE4 doesn't need a remake" but we got it, and here it is. And frankly it's excellent, I think the pacing of the Island is vastly improved as are majority the bosses. However it was not all for the better.
- Ringing the Bell at the church doesn't spawn enemies anymore, this is one of many small easter-eggs chopped from the game (whether you like it or not the laser-beam dodging was cool)
- Killing farm animals in OG4 would decrease ammo drops and added enemies to the game. Remake4 encourages killing animals and in fact setting the cow on fire makes the opening village section far easier, the player is not punished.
- I found crafting highly pointless. Options are always good sure but just program the game to respond to low ammo/ no ammo as Dead SpaceR does. So yeah, Just hand me ammo for what I'm using, all it does is clutter up my case. It really doesn't function well in Remake4.
- One of the Verdugo's apparently just peace's-out of the entire game or killed off screen (DLC maybe?) The sewer Verdugo boss is given context through a note and is overall a downgrade when compared to the original, in which we saw the perspective from various villain characters.
- The unlockable costumes leave a lot to be desired, we essentially get one for Leon and one for Ashley unless you pay-up, lame. No classic Ada dress either. .
- Ada doesn't really do anything in this game anymore and all her scenes are mediocre. This was however to give greater context and stronger roles to Ashley and Luis so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- Invisible Novistadores are worse in Remake4, usually a cautious threat now not threatening what-so-ever. Maybe they just wanted instant kill enemies to be less stress inducing?
- Cable cars are better than an ugly scripted chase scene that lasts 15 seconds when you know what you're doing, this killed the pacing of the village finale for me.
- The reload animations for a few guns are much worse, less cool in Remake4.
- I get why they use yellow paint for everything (people with short attention spans) but did they have to make things 'glow' when scouting an area? simple answer, no. Capcom just thinks we're idiots at this point, and looking at average competition rates. . maybe they're right.
- Handcannon is no longer the definitive magnum of 4. Making the challenging reward mediocre. Broken Butterfly is the best magnum in the game when fully upgraded, this is not opinion, it is tested and proven. Does more damage and have a quicker fire-rate.
- When Salazar is rambling through the pipes you can shoot the pipe and cut him off mid sentence, this is a call-back to a cutscene in OG4.
- You can't shoot the merchant anymore but you can throw eggs at him. Likewise with Ashley if you miss her calling you a "pervert".
- You may have already seen people having fun throwing a golden egg at the Salazar boss; taking a chunky 70% his heath. However this isn't random and is hinted during the portrait side-quest.
- If you're having trouble grabbing S ranks in the shooting gallery you can use auto-aim however the Merchant will comment on you 'cheating'.
- On the note of 'cheating' keychains really do make a difference. is easily the best one, prey to the RNG Gods that you get lucky.
- The hanging lights in various areas on the Island section can be shot to damage enemies, it exposes the Plagas of Regeneradors for easy non-scope kills.
- Ashley can easily avoid attacks during her section by strafing to the left. This is less useful when you unlock her armored skin but still, just never go right on an enemy and you should be ok.
- Maybe you just went along with the scene but you cannot use guns against Krauser in the Mines, this makes the player pay more attention to how fundamental the knife is in Remake4.
- Heavy Grenades are great for skipping sections of the game that requires something being destroyed usually by a third party. This works in a few sections of the game, and can be done with rockets too.