Let's face it... Mario Kart's grown stale

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80435 Posts

In playing through Mario Kart Wii yet again, I've realized this series is growing stale. For starters, every other track is a remake from a previous iteration. Double Dash actually tried something new with two partners sharing the same cart, but Mario Kart Wii feels like a major step back for some reason. I also just really am so sick of the rubber band AI. Yes, it makes it a closer match that way, but I'd rather if chaos comes into play, it greatly affects who's going to be riding your tail in the rankings. The opponent who gets second place in the first track will usually always be right behind you for the rest of the cup. I know there are exceptions to that, but for the most part, that's what occurs.

Now that Mario Kart 3DS is coming, it makes me wonder how much if anything will change. I'll still have fun with it, sure, as I've always enjoyed Mario Kart, but I'll be disappointed if there are more reused tracks in the game and the AI still plays extremely cheap. So what about the rest of you? Is Mario Kart growing stale to you?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

i love mario kart, its not stale to me :) :P

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7538 Posts

The opponent who gets second place in the first track will usually always be right behind you for the rest of the cup. I know there are exceptions to that, but for the most part, that's what occurs.

JustPlainLucas

I never saw this as a bad thing. The good racer of the cup makes sense..

But overall, I'm still having fun. I love the Kart series, and if anything, the Wii version is the one I have had the most fun with. The game in itself can get stale, but that's because I play it quite a lot.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I think the formula still holds up fine: it's fast, it's fun and outrageous in local multiplayer
minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 minh800
Member since 2011 • 1166 Posts

I agree. I bought Mario Kart Wii because I thought I was going to enjoy it but it just felt like more of the same which I don't care for.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17023 Posts
mario kart wii was dissapointing imho. i want a fan of the track selection overall and the game felt a bit....meh. solid online and much better with local MP but it wasnt as good as MK DS. for me its not a consistent series. MK on the snes and DS were awesome. Mkwii and Mk64 were a let down (note: i only played MK64 on the VC for the first time). i havent played DD or the one on the GBA. i hope MK3DS is back on form though.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12034 Posts

I think the formula still holds up fine: it's fast, it's fun and outrageous in local multiplayerBlack_Knight_00

Best example of that is Super Mario Kart, back on the Super Nintendo. I would switch controllers between family and friends multiple times during multiplayer sessions and it was ridiculously fun! It got better with Mario Kart 64, with you and three other people involved. Has it gone stale? I suppose that could be the case, but that's comes with different opinions. Even if that is the case (or not), why fix something that isn't broken?

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20965 Posts
The series was doomed when they got rid of snaking. Only semblence of skill it ever had.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I think the formula still holds up fine: it's fast, it's fun and outrageous in local multiplayerMetamania

Best example of that is Super Mario Kart, back on the Super Nintendo. I would switch controllers between family and friends multiple times during multiplayer sessions and it was ridiculously fun! It got better with Mario Kart 64, with you and three other people involved. Has it gone stale? I suppose that could be the case, but that's comes with different opinions. Even if that is the case (or not), why fix something that isn't broken?

Also, the series has been around for almost 20 years and only counts 4 games (excluding portable spinoffs) I don't really see how a franchise that hits shelves once every 5 years on home consoles can become so undesirable
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JustPlainLucas

But overall, I'm still having fun. I love the Kart series, and if anything, the Wii version is the one I have had the most fun with. The game in itself can get stale, but that's because I play it quite a lot.

trugs26

Well, it's not really like the second place holder is more skilled than others. For instance, Donkey Kong could be in 8th place and then something happens to the rest of the pack right before the finish line and DK comes in 2nd. Now, for the rest of the cup, he'll always place 2nd presuming that you place 1st. I watch the map and see the positions fluxuate a great deal, and so I'll watch DK get his butt knocked around for the firs two laps, and then miraculously recover and claim 2nd at the final leg.
I think the formula still holds up fine: it's fast, it's fun and outrageous in local multiplayerBlack_Knight_00
Multiplayer is awesome, but since I'm more a single player, I usually end up getting frustrated sometimes because I can't win cups thanks to complete chaos .

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I think the formula still holds up fine: it's fast, it's fun and outrageous in local multiplayerBlack_Knight_00

Also, the series has been around for almost 20 years and only counts 4 games (excluding portable spinoffs) I don't really see how a franchise that hits shelves once every 5 years on home consoles can become so undesirable

I guess, for some like the TC, the gameplay hasn't changed in years to the point of where not a whole lot has changed. The TC did mention that at least tried something a little different with Double Dash in terms of partners, but that's about it.

Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#12 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts

I wouldn't say "stale" Lucas I would honestly just say over the years become more and more annoying and more based on luck rather than fun. The biggest issue for me was when Mario Kart Wii came out, when they had 12 Karts on the track. 8 was chaotic enough, with 4 more its now become pure luck almost.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#13 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Nah I still love Mario Kart but I felt the Wii version was toned down to attract the casual audeince and give them a chance to win but its online multiplayer was still a hell of alot of fun for me.

SteamedBennet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SteamedBennet
Member since 2011 • 534 Posts

I always thought Crash Team Racing was better

*runs and hides*

Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vexx88

*runs and hides*

SteamedBennet

I am a Nintendo fan and even I agree with that. Sadly we will never get a 2nd one. :(

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

I've never liked it. Ok, that's a lie. I really enjoyed MK64 ... Until I played Diddy Kong Racing. Great game.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chocolate1325

*runs and hides*

SteamedBennet

It was better than Mario Kart Wii but not as good as Mario Kart DS. I had some awesome times with Crash Team Racing.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#18 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I agree mostly.Mainly, they need to get reid of the blue shell. Seriously, who does it help? If I'm in last place and use it, and it gets the guy in the lead, it still doesn't help me get past all the other people behind him. And if I'm close to the leader, it could cause trouble for me if I'm stuck in the explosion.

And yeah, the rubber band AI needs to go.

JonathanL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#19 JonathanL
Member since 2002 • 22123 Posts

I am a fan of the concept that skill is important, but not everything, for kart racers. Snaking is not fun to play, and it is not fun to watch someone snake away, either. It's almost an entirely different game at that point.

I haven't played Wii yet, though I will at some point. Mario Kart 3DS looks awesome, too.

And CTR really was a great game.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Metamania

The last good kart racer that I've been hearing much praise about is Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, I think it's called. Is that one any good?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JustPlainLucas

I agree mostly.Mainly, they need to get reid of the blue shell. Seriously, who does it help? If I'm in last place and use it, and it gets the guy in the lead, it still doesn't help me get past all the other people behind him. And if I'm close to the leader, it could cause trouble for me if I'm stuck in the explosion.

And yeah, the rubber band AI needs to go.

BuryMe
Well, it's very easy to launch the shell away and then immediately swerve in the opposite direction of where it's going.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JustPlainLucas

The last good kart racer that I've been hearing much praise about is Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, I think it's called. Is that one any good?

Metamania
I played the demo. It was pretty fun. I like using obscure Sega characters, like Ryu Hazuki.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

I guess, for some like the TC, the gameplay hasn't changed in years to the point of where not a whole lot has changed. The TC did mention that at least tried something a little different with Double Dash in terms of partners, but that's about it.

I actually feel they tried too hard to innovate: all those powerups they added just detract from the experience, like the blue shell or the ink splatter, which happen way too frequently and just become an annoyance. As far as Mario Kart goes, I think simpler is better. Sure, the partner system was a cool idea, though it only made sense in multiplayer, but I find the introduction of motorbikes in MKWii much more substantial, they are a great alternative to the usual karts and steering the bike whil popping a wheelie is a blast :D
mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

I can see why people would think the series is growing stale. Though it doesn't change the fact that multiplayer is still insanely fun, and that's what counts in the end.

I also heard some good things about that Sega racing title, but haven't looked into it.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#25 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Eh, Mario Kart's always been weak on the single-player side. It's the multiplayer that really shines, which definitely hasn't grown stale in the slightest.

I actually feel they tried too hard to innovate: all those powerups they added just detract from the experience, like the blue shell or the ink splatter, which happen way too frequently and just become an annoyance. As far as Mario Kart goes, I think simpler is better. Sure, the partner system was a cool idea, though it only made sense in multiplayer, but I find the introduction of motorbikes in MKWii much more substantial, they are a great alternative to the usual karts and steering the bike whil popping a wheelie is a blast :DBlack_Knight_00

Yeah, Nintendo tried too hard with Double Dash. The partner thing, while cool in concept, never really worked for me. Always seemed like a forced addition rather than a natural evolution. I wouldn't say the bikes are much better (didn't feel that different from the karts, to be honest), though the mix of the two was pretty cool.

Gamefan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gamefan1986
Member since 2005 • 1325 Posts

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I think the formula still holds up fine: it's fast, it's fun and outrageous in local multiplayerBlack_Knight_00

Because it's become a common misconception that if it is a Nintendo franchise then it is milked to death, like Zelda for instance. Everyone believes that Nintendo relies on Zelda too much, but there have only been 7 entries in 25 years with the last one having come out 5 years ago. Meanwhile not too many people mention series like Call of Duty where there have been at least 8 entries since 2003, or a lot of other franchises tha come out every year or 2. Even GTA games come out faster than Zelda (8 in 14 years).

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JustPlainLucas

Because it's become a common misconception that if it is a Nintendo franchise then it is milked to death, like Zelda for instance. Everyone believes that Nintendo relies on Zelda too much, but there have only been 7 entries in 25 years with the last one having come out 5 years ago. Meanwhile not too many people mention series like Call of Duty where there have been at least 8 entries since 2003, or a lot of other franchises tha come out every year or 2. Even GTA games come out faster than Zelda (8 in 14 years).

Gamefan1986
I'd bring up COD but I don't play COD. :P
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Black_Knight_00
not too many people mention series like Call of Duty where there have been at least 8 entries since 2003Gamefan1986
You don't browse forums much, do you?
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

lets face it.. mario kart has been stale since mk64. Only decent one is super mario kart

Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vexx88

lets face it.. mario kart has been stale since mk64. Only decent one is super mario kart

campzor

I think the original and 64 aged horribly.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Not stale at all, Each new release has been fresh and they hardly release them.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

I loved Mario Kart Wii (never played the portable versons) and Mario Kart 64 and Double Dash. I just loved every mario kart game I've played.

kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts
game feels the same it felt on the n64 honestly the game hasnt changed hardly. i wish it would.
Blazember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 Blazember
Member since 2010 • 108 Posts

Although Mario Kart is great fun, the game is really cheap, and I don't mean in price! Half the tracks in the games are always just remakes of old ones, and the graphics and tracks are outdated and undetailed. There's not much to the game with loads of content or anything. It's just not worth its price.

But the 1 thing that is really annoying is that competitively speaking, it's joke. The game rewards those that fall behind with cheap easy mode items like bullet bill, and the game has too much emphasis on luck with items. I can be be 1st the whole time but then get hit by a blue shell and fall to 4th place, so the game encourages you not to be first. Similary, you could be 8th the whole time and get a bullet bill on the last lap and shoot to 5th place, no skill at all. It sucks when you're about to win in 1st place and then every item imaginable shoots at you.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

Mario Kart was ever fun to begin with? When did this happen?

scottahuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 scottahuch
Member since 2003 • 1580 Posts

I'll still buy Mario Kart 7, but personally I believe that Mod Nation Racers is quite a lot better than Mario Kart. It feels like not much has changed since Mario Kart 64...

Gamefan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gamefan1986
Member since 2005 • 1325 Posts
[QUOTE="Gamefan1986"]not too many people mention series like Call of Duty where there have been at least 8 entries since 2003Black_Knight_00
You don't browse forums much, do you?

Well I was mainly using COD as an example franchise, I know a lot of gamespotters call COD out for being milked but there are many other series that get updated almost as often without getting called out for it, yet a huge portion of the population rags on Nintendo for "milking" Mario, Zelda, Metroid even though both Zelda and Metroid get released far less than 80% of other major franchises. Although I do agree that Mario is used too much (the character, not necessarily the series he stars in)
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7538 Posts

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

JustPlainLucas

Well, it's not really like the second place holder is more skilled than others. For instance, Donkey Kong could be in 8th place and then something happens to the rest of the pack right before the finish line and DK comes in 2nd. Now, for the rest of the cup, he'll always place 2nd presuming that you place 1st. I watch the map and see the positions fluxuate a great deal, and so I'll watch DK get his butt knocked around for the firs two laps, and then miraculously recover and claim 2nd at the final leg.
Multiplayer is awesome, but since I'm more a single player, I usually end up getting frustrated sometimes because I can't win cups thanks to complete chaos .

I still feel that this adds to the game. I know for example, that DK is the better CPU, so I add this as an extra challenge to attempt to knock him down the rankings for each race, thus eliminating your strongest opponent. It's possible and fun to consider.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chocolate1325

campzor

Double Dash,Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii are still awesome to play.