Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver Reboot!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

argyleronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 argyleronin
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Old news to some, I am sure. March 20, 2012 "Crystal Dynamics is working on a reboot of Soul Reaver, VG247 has been told. Details are anorexic, but our source has claimed the game is a full reworking of the vampire action classic, and includes a new art direction. Earlier this month, God of War II director Cory Barlog joined Crystal Dynamics to work on a yet to be announced title." Best news I have heard in a LONG time as this is the best game I have ever played!
Avatar image for Icepick_Trotter
Icepick_Trotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Icepick_Trotter
Member since 2005 • 40 Posts

Wow.

Soul Reaver 2 was for years the best single player game i'd played. I seriously love the Soul Reaver series.

That said, I'd prefer if they didn't make a reboot. Already SR3 wasn't as good as 2, and i read in the GOG forums that the key people behind the Soul Reaver franchise aren't even there anymore.

Besides, I can't think of what they can add to improve or expand on the series without causing inconsistencies with the story and its ending.

That doesn't mean it can't be good but...

Xeilia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Xeilia
Member since 2009 • 231 Posts

If that's true, it would be ultra-awesome!!

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
I can't think of what they can add to improve or expand on the series without causing inconsistencies with the story and its ending.Icepick_Trotter
A reboot wipes out all previous continuity. That's the point of rebooting.
lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lenson
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts

Soul Reaver had a better story, but in terms of gameplay my fondest memories come from Blood Omen 1 (and 2 even though the story was complete nonsense in blood omen 2). None the less I am certainly happy to hear it.

AbWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AbWill
[QUOTE="Icepick_Trotter"]

I can't think of what they can add to improve or expand on the series without causing inconsistencies with the story and its ending.

/QUOTE] Ending? It never ended! There's the pillars of Nosgoth to restore, not to mention the Hilden to deal with as well as the portal to the realm the Hilden were banished in to, not to mention the Hilden who took posession of the one true vampire at the end of Defiance, which I presumed was all a part of the demise of the Pillars. And then there's the matter of the time displacement to deal with! It was anything but a complete ending in my book! OMG I really hope they launch a new one!
carlusofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 carlusofwar

A reboot ?!

i love this series (all of its games; from PS one to PS2) and i have soooo waited for it to continue.
a reboot would NOT serve it justice.

But in the absence of Kain and Raziel, thank GOD that i have had the company of Kratos and the god of war series.
For me, both these series have what it takes to draw me in. These are real games; that has it ALL!

It is a shame they stopped with Defiance. In my mind, they should have NEVER stopped and they should have focused on Kain instead of Tomb Raider, for the past 3-5 games of Lara Croft (among them: Angel of Darkness, Legend, Underworld, )have been a HUGE disapointment for me.

And if Sillicon Knights wont make more Legacy of Kain, then Sony & Santa Monica Studios should. It must continue, as i rather see it continue then see a reboot. As i remember it, Defiance ended open to any possiblity for sequals and prequals.

If you love Legacy of Kain, then join me on FB. my name is carl us.

dixienarco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8 dixienarco
Member since 2005 • 33 Posts

what is that? horse running.. stubles. i mean what is that? computergenerated intelligense fail/win optimization animation? what is that?

valdarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 valdarez
Member since 2003 • 2174 Posts

Played the original Legacy of Cain - Soulreaver on PS1, and it remains one of my favorite series to this day. They used Shakspearean actors to do the voice over work and it was amazing what that lent to the ambiance of the game. The environment shifting was so cool, and how you had to use it to solve puzzles made for some very interesting/fun puzzle solving. It's something that I don't believe we've seen in another game to date. Definitely looking forward to more SoulReaver, whether a reboot or otherwise.

Trenchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Trenchman
Member since 2003 • 124 Posts

I believe when Kain absorbed Raziel into the Reaver at the end of Defiance he was cured of the corruption brought on by Nupraptor going insane, I had always assumed that healed the Pillar of Balance and would allow the Pillars to be restored. This would also reseal the Hylden in the other dimension they were banished to. It's been a while so I can't say for sure that's what happened, but I remember it happening something like that. Also, when do the Hylden possess the one true vampire? I don't remember that happening.

The main thing I want to know is, are they going to get back as many of the original voice cast as possible? I have some reservations about another game being made after so long and by a different team of people. But, if they get the original voice cast, that would do a lot to assuage my fears, and show they actually care about the original material. Here's hoping.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MasterBrief
Member since 2007 • 56 Posts

That would be pretty awesome love the games. Would be nice to see a new game too with how they ended the series.

Avatar image for PrpleTrtleBuBum
PrpleTrtleBuBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 PrpleTrtleBuBum
Member since 2012 • 3845 Posts

Reboot? Does not make me excited. LoK is one of the best series, but a reboot isn't anything I want. Changed art direction? Changed core gameplay? No story continuation? Why should I be interested?

It might be a good game, but IMO they should just do a brand new vampire fantasy game series if they're going to mess with the basics. While LoK is a big brand, it also comes with a big burden.

Lord-Raziel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Lord-Raziel
Member since 2005 • 38 Posts

Common Reboot its noting big. Same story. same charectars, same edning (sort of). But think abut- dont you want too see Raziel and all the rest of the bosses whit the new modern and better engins :) No more square hands, legs and face. Common (dont laugh:) but it takes me 1 year to find the way to the last battl whit Kain cuz of the bad grafic. I bet evry1 try Tomb Raider. Well when they make the reboot of TR1 i tough its gona be nothing special. But serriusly i gladly pay for the new game cuz the grafic was... OMG i remeber when i sow for first time Lara in TR;L - so beatiful. So better reboot than nothing. Plus this will give a new boost for the new generation gamers that never heard about LoK series. And if its going good why not to make new game. To continuet from where its finish Defiance. Monney from the new game plus extra from the old games (ofk if the ppl want the find the mising peaces of the story - thats why i buy Blood Omen 1 like 10 years after the releas sins i didnt find eny other copy acept in the PSN) And my opinion about the story - leav this "time traveling" in the past cuz its stupid and makes lots of mistakes in the game story. But this is another topic :P

btw srr for the grammar. Not realy good in whriting on english :)

crazychris666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 crazychris666
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
when I was a kid this game was amazing, it's long over due if you ask me. soul Reaver is awesome. they need to make another blood omen as well
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#15 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
I welcome it!! A buddy and I were just recently talking about SR and this is great news.