This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kensei_Seraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Kensei_Seraph
Member since 2007 • 36 Posts
Just went to try out Medal of Honor's single player.... only to find it doesn't have left-handed controls. The multiplayer does, but single doesn't.... WTF!?!?!?! Problem with having separate developers I suppose, but bloody stupid!
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts

I'm ambidextrous so I like using either setup bu not having one for single player is pretty dumb.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#3 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Yeah, so many games have been using that control scheme for years that it's a bit of a non-issue, but it's also silly that they can't be bothered to offer an alternate layout. I mean, all they have to do is swap the sticks around, which surely isn't that hard to code.
Kensei_Seraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kensei_Seraph
Exactly my thinking.... 2 seconds to code.... and means I effectively can't play the single player (not without about 4 hours of adjusting to the alternate controls).... not that I care much, FPS single player is generally a heap of crap....
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#5 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I'm left-handed, and I use right-handed controls.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Honestly, I just kind of figured that the controls were the same for all players. I never knew games offered a left-handed scheme.... How do they flip the buttons from one side to the other? Or is it just the sticks? Because switching the sticks doesn't seem like it would really change that much...
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Honestly, I just kind of figured that the controls were the same for all players. I never knew games offered a left-handed scheme.... How do they flip the buttons from one side to the other? Or is it just the sticks? Because switching the sticks doesn't seem like it would really change that much...muthsera666
A large amount of PC games let you remap your controls to whichever keys you want to use. I don't see why console games shouldn't offer the same thing.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I'm a leftie and I've never had trouble.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
What the hell are left handed controls?
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChiliDragon
What the hell are left handed controls?KHAndAnime
IJKL(for example) instead of WASD, and then you switch the mouse buttons around.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]What the hell are left handed controls?ChiliDragon
IJKL(for example) instead of WASD, and then you switch the mouse buttons around.

Sounds ridiculous to me. :P
Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

I get switching mice for left handed PC, but on a gamepad, would that be switching the sticks as well? Because with Xbox, I think if I was left handed, that wouldn't fly for me. I've always had it ingrained in my head that due to the position of the 360 sticks, one is just MEANT for moving your character. It would feel off if I had to aim with that stick.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChiliDragon

I get switching mice for left handed PC, but on a gamepad, would that be switching the sticks as well? Because with Xbox, I think if I was left handed, that wouldn't fly for me. I've always had it ingrained in my head that due to the position of the 360 sticks, one is just MEANT for moving your character. It would feel off if I had to aim with that stick.

Sharpie125
That's one of the differences between PC and console though, that after playing on a PC for years, I expect to be able to switch buttons and key commands around and if the developers didn't include that, the game is missing a very basic standard feature. On a console, I know that I have to adapt to whatever control scheme the developers have chosen because it wont' be possible for me to change it anyway. Different expectations, different reaction.
Kensei_Seraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kensei_Seraph

Ok let me clear this up.

I'm left handed, so naturally my stronger hand should be used to control my aiming. I'm more dexterous with that thumb so it makes sence. The movement for me should be on my right hand.

Console games have had the option for left handed controls for years..... I simply don't understand why they would have it in the multiplayer but not the singleplayer.

If you wanna feel my pain right handed people - try playing with the left handed controls - that's what I was presented with when I tried singleplayer.

Kensei_Seraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kensei_Seraph

Sharpie125

That's because YOU are right handed.... it makes sence that way because that's what you've always done... just like I have the other way around.

Take the N64 controler for example... I used the stick with my left thumb.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ChiliDragon
Console games have had the option for left handed controls for years..... I simply don't understand why they would have it in the multiplayer but not the singleplayer.Kensei_Seraph
I could say something sarcastic about how they at least are honest abut the fact that they don't care at all about the single-player part of their games, unlike other developers, but that could just be my bitterness talking... ;)
Kensei_Seraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kensei_Seraph

Haha, gotta agree with you there!

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#18 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I'm left handed, what the hell are left handed controls?
Kensei_Seraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kensei_Seraph

I'm left handed, what the hell are left handed controls?Legolas_Katarn

The sticks are swapped - so left stick is your aiming, right is your movement - It just makes sense.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#20 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]I'm left handed, what the hell are left handed controls?Kensei_Seraph

The sticks are swapped - so left stick is your aiming, right is your movement - It just makes sense.

That just sounds pointless to me.
Kensei_Seraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kensei_Seraph

Ok ok, so maybe not many people need this.... but for the few who do - it takes 2 seconds to impliment in a game... and when its ALREADY THERE in part of it - its really ridiculous that its not there. Surely you guys can see that?!

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ChiliDragon

Ok ok, so maybe not many people need this.... but for the few who do - it takes 2 seconds to implement in a game... and when its ALREADY THERE in part of it - its really ridiculous that its not there. Surely you guys can see that?!

Kensei_Seraph
Easily. What's weird in this particular case is that it's existing in multi-player but not in single-player. It's one thing if it's gone from the whole game... but from only a part of it? Makes no sense. And no, it's not silly or pointless to want to be able to adjust a control scheme to individual preference. It's perfectly normal, and given how long controllers have been around and what the hardware capacity is in the current generation of consoles, it's perfectly possible to implement the ability to adjust the controls. It's just a matter of wanting to do it.
Kensei_Seraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kensei_Seraph

Thanks chili - glad i've got some backup on this particular issue. It's use-ability and customisability that are key issues here. For some gamers - it makes the all the difference.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Take the N64 controler for example... I used the stick with my left thumb.Kensei_Seraph
I'm right handed, and that's what I did.... I just get used to the control scheme...
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
I'm left handed yet use my right hand for mouse controls.... Im sure its common to adapt to it... I suggest you just get used to using your right hand on a mouse.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ChiliDragon

Thanks chili - glad i've got some backup on this particular issue. It's use-ability and customisability that are key issues here. For some gamers - it makes the all the difference.

Kensei_Seraph
I never play shooters and hardly ever play on a console anymore, so I'm not sure I'm much of a backup. :P I just like being able to customize things.
Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Ok ok, so maybe not many people need this.... but for the few who do - it takes 2 seconds to impliment in a game... and when its ALREADY THERE in part of it - its really ridiculous that its not there. Surely you guys can see that?!

Kensei_Seraph

Who are you yelling at, man? :P I don't think anyone here is opposed to implementing it, all the lefties here just said they got used to it. All I did was ask a question about the sticks (in my weirdly worded way)! I know for the old MoHs (Frontline) they allowed you to bind any controls, but the times they are a-changin'.

I think you should take this up with the developers if you feel this strongly about it.

puppydogtreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 puppydogtreat
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
The only problem I've ever had a left-handed gamer is Red Steel. Everything on the screen is backwards.