Last generation for gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NinjaLegacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NinjaLegacy
Member since 2012 • 189 Posts

If all these rumors are true no way i'm spending money to lease a system i can't play 10 years from now. This might be the last generation for gaming for me, i don't care about graphics like i used to and being 31 i tend to play older games more because of the nostalgia. Does anyone else feel the same? You will basicly be leasing your console it also leads to me belive that you won't be able to play the arcade games from current gen systems in the future.

hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

As for me, the last gaming gen was the sixth

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I am still undecided on WiiU, but I have already blacklisted Sony and Microsoft. Neither company will ever see another dollar of mine.
NinjaLegacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NinjaLegacy

As for me, the last gaming gen was the sixth

hurriflash

I play more 6th gen then i do current.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I haven't quite reached that point, but as more and more info comes out regarding the coming generation of games, the more I'm moving towards going 100% retro. I already can only play some of the games from this gen because of all the BS DLC, DRM and disk-locked conent that many newer games have.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

I'm gonna sound like an oldie (cause I am) and whingy, but I'm tired of how new technology has incorporated to gaming by a huge margin. I just want to play a simple game that's actually fun - and not focused on DLC, graphics etc. My PSP has been ALOT more enjoyble than my PS3 and the Vita will probabaly be my last system.

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

If the WiiU finds success then I might get that. For me though console gaming ended with the Gamecube. I have a Wii which I use for Netflix only and have like 3 games for. Can't get into it unfortunately. However, I like playing the Handhelds still. The DS was a good handheld and so was the PSP. Hopefully the 3DS starts getting interesting for me soon because I only have RE Mercenaries for it, the other games out right now don't interest me at all atm. Looking forward to buying a PSV.

J-Man2244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9 J-Man2244
Member since 2012 • 85 Posts

We'll see. I like my Xbox 360 a lot, but I still mainly play retro games anyway at this point - if the BS rumors about the next gen are true, then I will probably stop at the current generation. There are way too many classics for the N64, SNES, PS2, NES, and tons of other platforms that I still haven't played to spend my time and money on a generation where the main attraction is DLC and flashy graphics.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

The big three need to be really careful with how they market their new generation of systems. I think they are definitely walking a faded line, espcially about implementing certain facets like not allowing used games or going completely download.

The less freedom they take from gamers the worse things will get...

Milton Friedman was definitely on to something...you can even apply it to video games.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Here's the thing... I don't see the significance of the next generation. By that, I mean that the graphics really can't take the amazing leap that we've seen in previous generations. What's the specs of the nest generation? What's it going to do, that they're not already doing? everything running in 1080p? I don't even own a TV that'll refresh fast enough to make that work as it is, so then I need a better TV to go along with my spiffy new console... And honestly, too, most game makers aren't really maxing out what they can do on the PS3 on the tech side yet, certainly not with the writing and content, most times... So I'm not seeing the need for a new console yet.

They may make one, but I doubt I'll buy. I have a lot of consoles and games, and like others here, I'm not cool with some of the early wind about what Sony and Microsoft are looking to do with the new hardware for used games, and other invasive DRM like being online to play. I'm much more a gamer from the Legacy days.

So that's where I'll go... Into the past!

:)

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#12 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

Here's the thing... I don't see the significance of the next generation. By that, I mean that the graphics really can't take the amazing leap that we've seen in previous generations. What's the specs of the nest generation? What's it going to do, that they're not already doing? everything running in 1080p? I don't even own a TV that'll refresh fast enough to make that work as it is, so then I need a better TV to go along with my spiffy new console... And honestly, too, most game makers aren't really maxing out what they can do on the PS3 on the tech side yet, certainly not with the writing and content, most times... So I'm not seeing the need for a new console yet.

They may make one, but I doubt I'll buy. I have a lot of consoles and games, and like others here, I'm not cool with some of the early wind about what Sony and Microsoft are looking to do with the new hardware for used games, and other invasive DRM like being online to play. I'm much more a gamer from the Legacy days.

So that's where I'll go... Into the past!

:)

MonkeySpot

I think I'll join you lol. I want to go back to the NES/SNES/SG era of gaming because for me that's where it's at. I also like the PS1 and PS2 as well so I'll be holding on to my b/c PS3;) I always say the next system will be my last thensomething convinces me to continue (usually a great lineup of titles lol) so we'll see.....

ThE-JoKeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ThE-JoKeR
Member since 2003 • 7632 Posts
I do agree big time. I won't stop buying consoles ever, but what I play most is classic consoles. In my area, it's a little more difficult to find people to play them with, so I started making several episodes on classic games so I can at least play with the Audience - (It's the show in my banner).
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Joker:

Are you smoking weed in that picture on the right? S'what it LOOKS like...

:lol:

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

i see where you are getting at but i probably wont stop gameing for a long time and i love the nastalgic feel like you said i still got the ps2 soley for it and psx games i got super nintendo nes n64 to go back and play and lateley ive been playing those more then my pc/360

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

Nope, can't say I agree. As far as I'm concerned gaming has only gotten better and better as the years have gone by, with new wonders at every turn. I eagerly await what the next generation has to offer us.

Uloset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Uloset
Member since 2010 • 178 Posts

I used to be an early adopter, my PS2 has the last console I purchased at launch. Now I just sit back and watch and see if and when I'll jump into the next gen. Its great fun you get everything for cheaper and hopefull all the hardware problems have already been worked out. I'll be following this train of though next time around as well.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
I play new games as well old so unless the big three really mess things up I'll sure be buying two of if not all three consoles next gen.
ThE-JoKeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ThE-JoKeR
Member since 2003 • 7632 Posts

Joker:

Are you smoking weed in that picture on the right? S'what it LOOKS like...

:lol:

MonkeySpot
HAHAHAHA! No it's for the episode Night Trap part 1 where I was blowing on one of those Happy Birthday Noise maker thingy majigs. :)
Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

Next gen doesn't excite me. I still don't have a PS3/360 cos most of the games I can get on PC, where development is still fresh.

But you never know.

TheLordHimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#21 TheLordHimself
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

I'll still be gaming next gen and I'll still buy older games as well. There are some things that current games do better and some that old games do better so I try and have the best of both worlds. I've just started making my way through some old PS2 games and it's surprising how little graphics and special effects matter when you've got a really interesting and compelling game.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I've got three big problems with games this gen:

1. Too many second-rate sequels to too many way-past-their-prime franchises.
  2. Too little interest in new IP's.
  3. Too many action/adventure games turning themselves into Call of Duty clones.

I'll just wait and see what sort of games come out next gen. If it's more of the same they may lose a customer. If they come out with some exciting new games, maybe I'll give them my money. But I'm fully prepared to spend next gen playing whatever current gen titles I missed out on, and watching more movies like I used to.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#23 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I am going to keep buying new consoles, esp. handhelds as long as they make them. To ignore new games seems as bad as ignoring old ones to me. That said, if nobody ever made a single other game ever for the rest of my life, I wouldn't sweat it. There is a lifetime and more of great content that already exists.

NinjaLegacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NinjaLegacy

I am going to keep buying new consoles, esp. handhelds as long as they make them. To ignore new games seems as bad as ignoring old ones to me. That said, if nobody ever made a single other game ever for the rest of my life, I wouldn't sweat it. There is a lifetime and more of great content that already exists.

logicalfrank

thats how i feel i don't care about graphics anymore i care about the nostalgia and living in the past. I'm ready to put myself in a gaming bubble and pretend that gaming eneded. With that said if pikmin 3 turns out to be good then i wll have to buy it.