last attempt at getting help to connect to xbox live

This topic is locked from further discussion.

westhamunited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 westhamunited
Member since 2005 • 52 Posts
I have a wireless modem which is connected to the pc i use. My laptop and ps3 both connect to the internet through this wireless network. However for the 360 i haven't got a a wireless adapter and as such was thinkinh of using the ethernet cable to link the laptop and 360 together to allow the 360 acess to the internet this way. However when i attemp to connect to xbox live this way it fails and makes me test my connections. The first test ' network adaptor' is sucessful as it comes up wired however the next test 'IP address' fails. This is where i need some help.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
Ahh, see the problem is you can't just simply hook up your 360 to your laptop using ethernet.  Normally you would connect your console directly to your router or modem via ethernet, provided it has ethernet ports.  To make it work through your laptop, you'd have to a) enable Internet Connection Sharing on the laptop and b) use a crossover cable, a special type of ethernet cable.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
You shouldn't need a crossover cable.. most NICs these days have a built-in crossover.  And if the 360 is testing the network adapter portion as ok, then as you said set up connection sharing and see if it works before going out and buying a crossover cable.