Lara Croft is Feminist Hero

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PureSophistry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PureSophistry
Member since 2012 • 47 Posts

YEAH I SAID! I think she is especially with the latest iteration of the game.

Interview for clarity-

Moderator Edit - Link Removed

What do you all think?

SuperFlyZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SuperFlyZero
Member since 2015 • 414 Posts

lol I'm not clicking that link.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

She can be whatever you want her to be.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

Lara Croft used to be hot (at least in Legends and Underworld) now I can't even remember what she looks like...

Kynareth5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#6 Kynareth5
Member since 2008 • 113 Posts

@GhostHawk196: It seems you don't have good memory. For people, at least.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

@Kynareth5: I honestly don't think the new Lara Croft is very memorable both as a character or her physical appearance. I remember Lara being a strong powerful woman (more so than characters like Anna Grimsdottir from SCBlacklist) but now she's just some whiny damsel in distress (kinda like the Dragon woman from game of thrones) - not attractive at all. I'm sure we can all thank the feminists for this, this is why I despise feminism because developers do cater to those morons...

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@GhostHawk196: I despise modern day feminism too, but I like the new Lara Croft she seems more Human and likeable.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

What is the mods doing?

That link is clearly suspect not to mention the post is clickbait and trolling.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
@thehig1 said:

@GhostHawk196: I despise modern day feminism too, but I like the new Lara Croft she seems more Human and likeable.

She's neither. People confuse falling down and getting cuts and scrapes (i.e. being relatively ordinary) with being human. That simply isn't true: there are exceptional people out there.

The older Lara Croft is considerably better acted and her backstory is padded out subtly in a way that makes her larger-than-life persona actually convincing. I don't see for a second how someone could call the new Lara more likeble unless the only impression you have of the older Lara is the sneering action-chick commericals (which is at odds with her characterisation in the games). The old Lara is extremely enigmatic and IMO up there with charismos like Nathan Drake and Dante.

Compare that with modern Lara who is unsufferable and thoroughly unconvincing (awful acting). Ever notice how people pick on her for dropping into the role of a killer when the same is true of most other videogame characters? It's because she's unrelatable, unlikeable and depicted in a way that isn't profoundly human (or sufficiently super-human).

I've not played RoTR yet though. But nothing I've heard suggest that her characterisation has improved (quite the opposite).

Heck, think of it like this: The old Lara is one of the few major videogame characters who has been shown to age (she actually has wrinkles in Underworld). Well, other than Solid Snake (though his aging is tied to a plot device so it's a bit different).

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

Works for me.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Knowing Lara, she'd take issue at being labeled as part of a collectivist ideology.

By that I mean classic Lara, of course. The new one you can keep, with my blessing.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@Articuno76 said:
@thehig1 said:

She's neither. People confuse falling down and getting cuts and scrapes (i.e. being relatively ordinary) with being human. That simply isn't true: there are exceptional people out there.

The older Lara Croft is considerably better acted and her backstory is padded out subtly in a way that makes her larger-than-life persona actually convincing. I don't see for a second how someone could call the new Lara more likeble unless the only impression you have of the older Lara is the sneering action-chick commericals (which is at odds with her characterisation in the games). The old Lara is extremely enigmatic and IMO up there with charismos like Nathan Drake and Dante.

Compare that with modern Lara who is unsufferable and thoroughly unconvincing (awful acting). Ever notice how people pick on her for dropping into the role of a killer when the same is true of most other videogame characters? It's because she's unrelatable, unlikeable and depicted in a way that isn't profoundly human (or sufficiently super-human).

I've not played RoTR yet though. But nothing I've heard suggest that her characterisation has improved (quite the opposite).

Heck, think of it like this: The old Lara is one of the few major videogame characters who has been shown to age (she actually has wrinkles in Underworld). Well, other than Solid Snake (though his aging is tied to a plot device so it's a bit different).

Yup, I don't get how anyone can connect to modern Lara. She doesn't have any kind of personality. She isn't some admirable character just because we suffered an entire game with her.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58889 Posts

Sure why not.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@PureSophistry: Last warning. Do not use the forum to advertise your YT channel or blog.

-Byshop