Lack of Work within the PC section of Gamespot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

electroban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 electroban
Member since 2007 • 122 Posts

Risen is out, Operation Flashpoint is out, Aion Tower of Eternity is out, yet there are no reviews to accompany these games in the gamespot website, whats with that? Is it me or is more interest being taken in the console side of things??? Why is this? PCs forever i say.

Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#2 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
Basically at this point they only review games that are "important"
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
Basically at this point they only review games that are "important"Vexx88
and how do you determine if a game is "important"?
Glow-Stick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Glow-Stick
Member since 2008 • 1689 Posts

[QUOTE="Vexx88"]Basically at this point they only review games that are "important"lordlors
and how do you determine if a game is "important"?

I am guessing by the hype a game gets.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

It's a well known fact that Gamespot is kinda iffy with getting some reviews out at certain times. I waited for the 360 UT3 review for almost a month after it was released.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#6 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Gamespot has to receive the PC versions from the publishers. If its a multi-platform game the 360 version is put out first by most publishers.
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

Risen is out, Operation Flashpoint is out, Aion Tower of Eternity is out, yet there are no reviews to accompany these games in the gamespot website, whats with that? Is it me or is more interest being taken in the console side of things??? Why is this? PCs forever i say.

electroban

Yes, complain that there actually taking there time to play an mmo and an open world rpg, if they were out already youd be complaing they were rushed and didnt care about teh pc.

electroban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 electroban
Member since 2007 • 122 Posts

[QUOTE="electroban"]

warmaster670

Yes, complain that there actually taking there time to play an mmo and an open world rpg, if they were out already youd be complaing they were rushed and didnt care about teh pc.

I just assumed that reviewers get the games first to have reviews of the game to co-inside with their release.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Here's a post about Risen:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27064351

In general it seems they are really lacking for sure. Also took a while to review Killing Floor. And I say if a review isn't up in the first couple days of a game's release, it's pretty much worthless. If I don't buy a game right away, then I'll wait for a deal, in which case I'll make up my own mind about the game instead of looking at a review.

GS's abysmal review of Darkest of Days has put me off as well.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Gamespot has been putting less and less work into PC section for a year and half now. I love this site, but if you're looking for up to date PC gaming site, Gamespot no longer fits that description

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
[QUOTE="electroban"]

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

[QUOTE="electroban"]

I just assumed that reviewers get the games first to have reviews of the game to co-inside with their release.

MMO reviews never come out the time the game is release, it takes days to weeks to see how the game funtions.
rjxtian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 rjxtian
Member since 2005 • 2638 Posts

One reason I was glad to see Valve's message to vote for Freeman. I thought that perhaps many more PC gamers would get involved at Gamespot long term, and it would strengthen the PC sections of GS.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Gamespot has been putting less and less work into PC section for a year and half now. I love this site, but if you're looking for up to date PC gaming site, Gamespot no longer fits that description

AdrianWerner
^^ This Since the end of 2007 there have been a spate of firings/leavers from the GameSpot editorial team. Jason Ocampo used to favour PC gaming, and his senior status amongst the editors meant PC gaming received decent coverage. He left in early 2008 to another review site (IGN maybe? ) and since then PC coverage on GameSpot has been lacking and/or slow for reviews to appear. If a PC game is multiplatform then any reviews will be for the console verison. If it is a PC specific game, then unless it is a massively popular game (WoW, Sims) it probably won't get a GameSpot review. And to people saying they are just taking their time to play the game - review copies are sent out well before the game gets released to ensure printed magazines have time to do their reviews and get them onto shelves before the game is on sale. GameSpot is a big name in online reviews - as evidenced by being able to get a booth at E3 - and would certainly be offered games for reviewing.