Kojima on PS4: 'It's nothing special'

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Doesn't sound too excited about the hardware even though he thinks it's great. Wants to see more games and sounds pissed that Sony wont reveal many games to him. I am not exactly sure he's talking about the hardware specs, but if he is then I agree. The console is just a bit too underpowered for my taste. 8GB of RAM is fantastic but the GPU and CPU need to be a lot more powerful for a next gen console. Looks like they are going for an affordable and reliable console, and that's great and all but it's nothing special. 

Speaking to us after the launch of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Kojima said that he was too busy to actually watch Sonys PlayStation Meeting, but when we described it to him, he responded: Of course, I know what the hardware is, but I want to see how other companies are using it. First of all, I think thats great, but its nothing special; you could see it coming. Its the logical evolution of the platform and I think it has to head in that direction, hearing what you said is not surprising.

Honestly, I think all of that is good and great, he continued. Social aspects, the multidevice direction: thats correct, thats the way to go. But just because it has these features doesnt mean its going to be a success. What will really determine whether or not it sells is what titles will be available for the platform. And unfortunately, even though I am friends with Mark Cerny, hes never told me what other studios are working on. I even ate a meal with him recently and he didnt tell me anything.EDGE

http://www.edge-online.com/news/hideo-kojima-on-sonys-ps4-plans/

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

If you wanted better specs, you'd have to settle for a 699$ price tag and water-cooling.

Basically, buy a PC if you want more power.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Neither was Metal Gear Rising, but we don't b*tch about it
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 S0lidSnake

If you wanted better specs, you'd have to settle for a 699$ price tag and water-cooling.

nameless12345

Most games are developed on consoles first then ported to PC. I'd likely get slightly better graphics with better framerates and resolution. Nothing compared to what we would get when all developers are making their game on a truly powerful console.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I think the specs are great. I mean honestly, what do these devs want? A lot of them constantly complain about the consoles being underpowered, but then also complain that better tech means higher development costs. So which is it? 

Edit: This wasn't directed at Kojima. 

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

S0lidSnake

Most games are developed on consoles first then ported to PC. I'd likely get slightly better graphics with better framerates and resolution. Nothing compared to what we would get when all developers are making their game on a truly powerful console.

PC exclusives exist too you know.

Games like Arma, Total War, Star Citizen, ect.

And these games *do* push the hardware.

Also, basically every multi-plat is superior on PC.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#7 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Sounds a little like a jilted lover. They didn't even play footsies while at diner. I mean. What's a guy got to do? Not even a jingle of the keys at the end of the night.

-

I'm with him on the, we have to wait and see, front. I wonder if the devs will rehash their excuses or will they be a little more creative with them if the reviews aren't favorable?

-

Next gen games, not just next gen hardware.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
i respect kojima but i hope kojima stydios make more games on ps4 i am dissapoing with kojima this gen only 1 game nothing else
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Neither was MGS4, but we don't b*tch about itBlack_Knight_00

Fixed.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

*Shrugs* Reads to me like he is just saying he can't judge how successful the system will be until he sees all the games. A bit on the obvious side, but a perfectly reasonable statement.

The games are what Sony and MS has managed to keep under wraps, so unlike the specs (which much be shared with all developers if a first party is well, sane) they probably aren't giving people more info then they need to know about the games (Kojima doesn't need to know what Level 5 is working on).

Honestly, if Sony and MS did otherwise news stories would be filled with anonymous sources giving us details about unannounced PS4/X720 games.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17692 Posts
Well yea, as a movie player it isn't. Oh, he means for GAMING.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

*Shrugs* Reads to me like he is just saying he can't judge how successful the system will be until he sees all the games. A bit on the obvious side, but a perfectly reasonable statement.

The games are what Sony and MS has managed to keep under wraps, so unlike the specs (which much be shared with all developers if a first party is well, sane) they probably aren't giving people more info then they need to know about the games (Kojima doesn't need to know what Level 5 is working on).

Honestly, if Sony and MS did otherwise news stories would be filled with anonymous sources giving us details about unannounced PS4/X720 games.

CarnageHeart

I agree. It seems like he's fine with the social aspects of the PS4, but it's really all about gaming and how far Sony and other companies will push it with their gaming choices.

I think what Kojima said was perfectly reasonable.

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
Too underpowered? Were you expecting a home version of the Jaguar supercomputer?
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Neither was MGS4, but we don't b*tch about itShame-usBlackley

Fixed.

Blasphemer. To the stake with you! :P
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Meh I'm getting sick of all the PS4 talk already.

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#16 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Neither is the Metal Gear series, but we don't b*tch about itShame-usBlackley

Fixed.

Fixed x2 :P
Godly_Cure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Godly_Cure
Member since 2007 • 4293 Posts
Are consoles every really special? Or do we hype them to be?
23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

Bigboi500

I know right, me too, that's why I came in here to read and talk about it because I'm clearly an idiot!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44538 Posts
I don't think he's so much as commenting on the specs as he is the games. The specs are absolutely fine for the PS4. I think some people get too carried away about what they think should be in a console's hardware in relation to affordability and stability as well as the size of the system's casing.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

23Jarek23

I know right, me too, that's why I came in here to read and talk about it because I'm clearly an idiot!

The thread title makes you think Kojima is bashing the system, but then you find out it's just-more-spec-talk. Bleh...

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#22 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Butthurt because he went multiplat and Sony wont tell him things they won't tell others.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Someone's a little salty about being kept out of the loop.
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts
I'm sorry guys but I'm not getting the same interpretation as some of you are. To me, Kojima is making an observation that having all these extra social features and apps are nice and all but ultimately the games that get released on the system will decide its success. Isn't that what most of us have voiced at some point in time on these boards in varying degrees? I don't know perhaps I'm alone in this one but that's what I got out of it.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 S0lidSnake

I'm sorry guys but I'm not getting the same interpretation as some of you are. To me, Kojima is making an observation that having all these extra social features and apps are nice and all but ultimately the games that get released on the system will decide its success. Isn't that what most of us have voiced at some point in time on these boards in varying degrees? I don't know perhaps I'm alone in this one but that's what I got out of it.juradai

Like rag said, this sounds like someone who is bitter over Sony giving him the cold shoulder. He specifically mentions that he has no idea what other devs are doing, and by that he likely means Sony devs. He was doing exclusive PS3 development last gen and Sony is known for going the extra mile accomodating devs and sharing tech talk when they decide to go exclusive. Now that he's gone multiplatform Sony's kept him out of the loop and he's upset at not being Sony's golden boy anymore. :P

Of course it's going to be about the games. It always is. And Sony's console is supposed to be the most game focused console of the three, so why bring it up?

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

[QUOTE="juradai"]I'm sorry guys but I'm not getting the same interpretation as some of you are. To me, Kojima is making an observation that having all these extra social features and apps are nice and all but ultimately the games that get released on the system will decide its success. Isn't that what most of us have voiced at some point in time on these boards in varying degrees? I don't know perhaps I'm alone in this one but that's what I got out of it.S0lidSnake

Like rag said, this sounds like someone who is bitter over Sony giving him the cold shoulder. He specifically mentions that he has no idea what other devs are doing, and by that he likely means Sony devs. He was doing exclusive PS3 development last gen and Sony is known for going the extra mile accomodating devs and sharing tech talk when they decide to go exclusive. Now that he's gone multiplatform Sony's kept him out of the loop and he's upset at not being Sony's golden boy anymore. :P

Of course it's going to be about the games. It always is. And Sony's console is supposed to be the most game focused console of the three, so why bring it up?

That's just too many assumptions to be making for someone who is not involved in the situation. What is it that I'm missing here? Unless Kojima states otherwise, I can only take what he says as an observation. Anything beyond that is mere speculation and serves only to extract more out what was said than there really is. With Sony releasing a new console I'm sure everyone is in the dark on many things until they get more public with their developer support. Just because people might think Sony's console is going to be the most game focused doesn't make his statements imply much of anything. Right now, both Sony and Microsoft are going to be touting all these extra features that don't really contribute heavily to the core game and he is simply trying to keep a grounded approach about it ultimately being the games themselves which will contribute the most to a console's success.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="juradai"]I'm sorry guys but I'm not getting the same interpretation as some of you are. To me, Kojima is making an observation that having all these extra social features and apps are nice and all but ultimately the games that get released on the system will decide its success. Isn't that what most of us have voiced at some point in time on these boards in varying degrees? I don't know perhaps I'm alone in this one but that's what I got out of it.juradai

That's just too many assumptions to be making for someone who is not involved in the situation. What is it that I'm missing here? Unless Kojima states otherwise, I can only take what he says as an observation. Anything beyond that is mere speculation and serves only to extract more out what was said than there really is. With Sony releasing a new console I'm sure everyone is in the dark on many things until they get more public with their developer support. Just because people might think Sony's console is going to be the most game focused doesn't make his statements imply much of anything. Right now, both Sony and Microsoft are going to be touting all these extra features that don't really contribute heavily to the core game and he is simply trying to keep a grounded approach about it ultimately being the games themselves which will contribute the most to a console's success.

Fair enough.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Is he really surprised that head of the entire PS4 project won't break his confidentiality agreements so that he can tell his "friend" what all of his competitors are doing before they publicly announce it? :?

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

Well he's right in the way he explains it.

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Neither was MGS4, but we don't b*tch about itShame-usBlackley

Fixed.

^^

[spoiler] plus Metal Gear Rising was the best metal gear game this gen. Come at me bro >.> [/spoiler]

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shame-usBlackley

I'm nothing special. 

HideoKojima

Fixed yet again

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Shame-usBlackley

Well he's right in the way he explains it.

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Neither was MGS4, but we don't b*tch about ittimmy00

Fixed.

^^

[spoiler] plus Metal Gear Rising was the best metal gear game this gen. Come at me bro >.> [/spoiler]

Easily, yes. 

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#32 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Kojima is right. The technology is progressively better than the previous gens. The PlayStation to PlayStation 2, three, and now four is not like the Nintendo Gamecube to the Wii with an innovation in controls. The next gen is still exciting to think about and anticipate, especially new games, the detail put into worlds, and the physics engines developers are going to be using.
Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Headpopper333
Member since 2009 • 924 Posts

Neither was Metal Gear Rising, but we don't b*tch about itBlack_Knight_00

Gotta disagree here, Metal Gear Rising is brilliant and one of the best single player games I have played in a while. Plus, it was developed by Platinum so they're primarily responsible for the game and how it was made, although Kojima did oversee the story development and cutscenes.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Hideo Kojima has described PS4 as a logical evolution of the PlayStation platform and welcomed its social aspects, but stressed the importance of quality software for the next-gen console.

Well that's kind of a no sh!t statement.

"And unfortunately, even though I am friends with Mark Cerny, hes never told me what other studios are working on. I even ate a meal with him recently and he didnt tell me anything."

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

^^

Nah that easily goes to Peace Walker Fantastic game.

MGSPW>MGS4>MGRR(though still damn good)

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Honestly, with Sony's lack of support for bringing some big franchises or at least many big 3rd party devs to the Vita, I don't blame him for wanting to see what they have in store game wise for the PS4 (granted, I see Sony having a steady stream of announcements leading up to the PS4 since they have been seeming to have made the system with devs and fans in mind [such as by saying they'll be competitive with the pricing] and will likely continue to hype it with new games throughout the year).