Kirby games - why were they so "popular" back then?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

I never played any of the Kirby games. Sure they looked fun to try to play but why were the Kirby games so popular or whatever? What made them so great for gamers to play with anyway?

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I'm not sure Kirby has ever been popular. I feel like out of Nintendo's mascots, Kirby is probably the underdog. But anyhow, I love Kirby because they offered a very cool, unique platforming experience where you were encouraged to absorb you foe's abilities to get through the level. In addition to that, the levels, music and gameplay were very fun and entertaining. Kirby is one of my favorite franchises from Nintendo and I still play these games regularly. Although I already own all the game on the Kirby Anniversary comp for the Wii, I'll probably be picking that up once I get the money.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
The answer should be pretty obvious, they are fun. Isn't that what people play games for? To have fun?
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#4 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

I'm not sure Kirby has ever been popular. I feel like out of Nintendo's mascots, Kirby is probably the underdog.

Shenmue_Jehuty

And for such an underdog, he's lasting better than Samus right now.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

They fun, you get to suck up enimies and take there powers to use against them.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

I'm not sure Kirby has ever been popular. I feel like out of Nintendo's mascots, Kirby is probably the underdog. But anyhow, I love Kirby because they offered a very cool, unique platforming experience where you were encouraged to absorb you foe's abilities to get through the level. In addition to that, the levels, music and gameplay were very fun and entertaining. Kirby is one of my favorite franchises from Nintendo and I still play these games regularly. Although I already own all the game on the Kirby Anniversary comp for the Wii, I'll probably be picking that up once I get the money.

Shenmue_Jehuty
Nawhhh Pit was. I mean, his games had a cult following but nothing more.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

I'm not sure Kirby has ever been popular. I feel like out of Nintendo's mascots, Kirby is probably the underdog.

nintendoboy16

And for such an underdog, he's lasting better than Samus right now.

I don't disagree with you there, however I'm pretty sure no Kirby game has outsold any of the main metroid games ever.

slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 slamminjammin69

Agree. the Metroid and Zelda games have sold more and more popular than a silly pink cloud that eats.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#9 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Kirby is a good game for kids. He's cute and the ability to float makes the platforming much easier.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I Never cared for Kirby. Personally I don't understand why people like the games so much.
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 slamminjammin69

The only time I was really interested in Kirby was the Kirby cartoon show that came on Fox a couple of years ago on Saturday mornings. The videogames I don't get why other people think the games are so great or whatever.

Knocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Knocks
Member since 2005 • 68 Posts

The gameplay was really satisfying. They got the swallowing enemies mechanics down perfectly, and gaining your enemies' abilities was still very original for that time.

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

My first exposure to Kirby was when I was a little kid and I was with my mother and my sister in a store where you could rent games. I wanted to rent Mega Man 3, but someone had already rented it. My sister picked up Kirby and said we should get that instead because she liked the cover. I was not happy, but nevertheless I gave in. I don't regret it though, I fell in love with it instantly. Being able to absorb enemies powers on the fly was mindblowing to me back then. Nowadays I don't really care for Kirby. I think it's probably the most kid friendly francise that Nintendo has.

Subtle_Ninja_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Subtle_Ninja_X
Member since 2012 • 36 Posts
They were fun and the colors in the games were far more vibrant than in other games of the time (Opinion). There were loads of secrets in all of them (hidden doors in an all black background), it just seemed that when you 100% the Kirby games that you actually felt a sense of accomplishment. That and pretty much every enemy had a different power (bosses included) so there were a number of ways to actually play the game.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#15 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Kirby games are fun, popularity doesn't matter.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I only had Kirby's dreamland on the Gameboy but it was one of my favourite GB games.

The worlds were interesting to explore, the gameplay was smooth, the music was AMAZING.

I played through the game many times.

It was a fairly standard platformer but just very well done.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#17 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I only had Kirby's dreamland on the Gameboy but it was one of my favourite GB games.

The worlds were interesting to explore, the gameplay was smooth, the music was AMAZING.

I played through the game many times.

It was a fairly standard platformer but just very well done.

PetJel

This is the most underrated aspect of the Kirby games.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
Its a simple and fun platforming game.
doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

News to me that Kirby was ever very popular. The first one came around quite late in the NES life cycle. The enemy absorption gimmick was a cool idea, but I don't think that any of the Kirby games were all that great - way too easy and short, and it didn't help that you could evade most enemies with ease by flying over them.

Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts

-Regular playthroughs of the games were easy enough to cater to kids and casuals who play the games.
-Getting 100% presented the more skilled players with bigger challenges, such as finding collectables, doing boss rushes, going through a harder version of the main game, and stuff like that.
-Kirby himself is a great mixture of "cute" (due to being small, pink, and squishable) and "bad-ass" (due to the many copy abilities, like sword, ninja, etc.), so he appeals to different kinds of people.
-The flying ability gives a very unique take on the platforming genre (albeit one which makes the games that much easier)
-The copy abilities allow you to mix things up within your playthroughs, so that there's less of a chance of you being bored, and playing through the same level twice can feel very different based on which ability you have. (plus you can give yourself an extra challenge by going through the game without picking up any abilities, unless they're required to progress)
-Each game tries to give you something different. This is especially true for the spin-offs, like Pinball Land, Dream Course,and Mass Attack, but it's also true for the main games. Super Star gave you more complex abilities and smaller games which gave you more variety, Dreamland 2 gave you animal friends, 64 let you combine powers and was a 2.5D game, etc. There are some which don't differentiate themselves as much as others (Dreamland 3 using animal friends again and Returns to Dreamland having the more complex abilities, as well as a bunch of other elements from previous Kirby games), but even they tend to expand on those ideas.