Kaz Hirai says 360 lacks longevity, PS3 was made hard to program on purpose?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Quote taken from interview with the Official Playstation Magazine UK, stolen from System Wars:

http://kotaku.com/5135145/sony-exec-says-xbox-360-lacks-longevity

http://ps3.qj.net/Sony-s-Kaz-Hirai-we-re-the-official-leader-Ninty-in-a-different-world-MS-lacks-longevity/pg/49/aid/128178

On Nintendo and Microsoft:

"It's difficult to talk about Nintendo because we don't look at their console as being competitors. They're a different world and we operate in our world — that's kind of the way I look at things...

And with the Xbox — again, I can't come up with one word to fit. You need a word that describes something that lacks longevity... Last time I checked, they've never had a console that's been on the market for more than four or five years and we've committed to a ten year life cycle, so you do the math...

And unless things go really bad, there's no way that at the end of a life cycle our competition is going to have a higher install base."--Hirai

On why PS3 is difficult to program on:

"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process" --Hirai

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts.
DOF_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DOF_power
Member since 2008 • 804 Posts

>

^ It's just PR B*. Sony would have just saved thenselved a lot of headakes with a CPU from Intel or AMD and some more memory (non XDR) .

MasterNinja49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MasterNinja49
Member since 2008 • 461 Posts
Doesn't really mean much coming from Kazuo Hirai.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44485 Posts
Yeah I read this before. Man this guy is just so ridiculous it's not even funny. I mean seriously he says Microsoft never had a system last for more then 4 to 5 years. They've only had one system prior to this and everyone and grandma knows why the original Xbox was cut short. It was because they didn't own the components of it and couldn't control the pricing thereby having a product they could be competative with on pricing. Not to mention that they were relugated to third place in the console race with new systems from Sony and Nintendo fast approaching so why not get the head start for the next generation. :lol: at the difficult to program for remark by him.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process" --Hirai

Um, develop games maybe? You're not supposed to spend the console's life figuring out how to make games for it, you're supposed to make games for it.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

Of course. After knowing that the Saturn was hard to develop for Sony looked at that and said "success" :lol:

gotta love Kaz for doing his best.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
And unless things go really bad, there's no way that at the end of a life cycle our competition is going to have a higher install base."--Hirai Interesting, MS say they are going to beat the PS3 while Sony say they are going to beat the 360. Hirai sounds pretty sure about this. Which is obvious, I guess.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44485 Posts
I'm sure the developers love to hear that the PS3 was made difficult to program for on purpose. Yay now we can take an extra year or two to work on our product instead of getting it into consumer's hands and get working on another game. Publishers probably love it as well. Man that's just an absurd thing for him to say.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70254 Posts
If only I was young and stupid, his words would have made so much more sense.
Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts
Typical absurdity from Sony. After 2+ years of this I'm not surprised. Not that I'd expect them to say "This hasn't gone the way we expected". Honesty and business almost never cross paths.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
Typical absurdity from Sony. After 2+ years of this I'm not surprised. Not that I'd expect them to say "This hasn't gone the way we expected". Honesty and business almost never cross paths.Gemini_Red
I would have preferred to hear that over "We purposely made it hard to program so that developers will only be able to make good games for it after several years."