Just upgraded from the 1st edition PS2 to the newer PS2 Slim -- What's New?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Aspyred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Aspyred
Member since 2006 • 256 Posts

Hey guys,

Since owning the first edition of the PS2 (as in the launch version), I've had re-occuring issues with the dreaded "Disc Read Error" problem, such that only CD-based games work on the machine. I've recently picked up a new PS2 Slim (the Ceramic White edition with Singstar) to play oldies, but goodies I missed like Final Fantasy X, XII and the PS2 Metal Gear's.

My question is, what has improved? It's defnitely a sleeker machine, plays my games fine, and even seems to load a lot quicker! I also plan to play older PSX games on it. Do things like the options that decrease load times/improve textures on PSX games work better on the Slim? What other improvements should I expect to see 'under the hood'?

Thanks guys.

skitz8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 skitz8
Member since 2008 • 104 Posts

a built in network adapter!!!:D the best thing ever!!!

also the slim decreases loading time as you mentioned , has a longer life before it wears out, and doesnt over heat or have fan issues like the original

earthmonkeyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 earthmonkeyyy
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts
So you just need an ethernet cable for it then u can play games online?
spanky333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#4 spanky333
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts
Yes, just plug in a network cable and away you go. Some of them even have phone jacks on the back for people stuck with dial up. Another cool thing is that you can use a remote control with them without a reciever. That is built in as well. Love my PS2 slim.
Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts

Well, the Playstation 2 Slim doesn't support a hard drive, so if you wanted to use that you can't.

It also doesn't support some versions of the multitap, so I hope you don't like 4 player games.

In case you didn't realize this I hate the PS2 slim >_>.

Yeah, all you need to do to play games online is plug in an ethernet cord and somehow connect that to the internet. All of the games that I liked online on the Playstation 2 have been shut down though (Resident EVil Outbreak, Resident Evil Outbreak File 2, Goldeneye: Rogue Agent, Timesplitters: Future Perfect, SSX 3, Metal Gear Solid 3, etc....).

catlin_czirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 catlin_czirr
Member since 2007 • 2545 Posts
You should have upgraded to a PS3, it's 3 systems in one (the 60+80gb atleast) it's a PS1, PS2, and PS3!
Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

Well, the Playstation 2 Slim doesn't support a hard drive, so if you wanted to use that you can't.

It also doesn't support some versions of the multitap, so I hope you don't like 4 player games.

In case you didn't realize this I hate the PS2 slim >_>.

Yeah, all you need to do to play games online is plug in an ethernet cord and somehow connect that to the internet. All of the games that I liked online on the Playstation 2 have been shut down though (Resident EVil Outbreak, Resident Evil Outbreak File 2, Goldeneye: Rogue Agent, Timesplitters: Future Perfect, SSX 3, Metal Gear Solid 3, etc....).

Fredrick2003x

Sometimes paying $40 bucks extra for a sony product isn't always the smartest idea. I got a madcat multitap for my slimline for about a year now. No problems. Can the ps2 connect to broadband wirelessly?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff54ab0475a5
deactivated-5ff54ab0475a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 deactivated-5ff54ab0475a5
Member since 2007 • 1212 Posts

Sometimes paying $40 bucks extra for a sony product isn't always the smartest idea. I got a madcat multitap for my slimline for about a year now. No problems. Can the ps2 connect to broadband wirelessly?

Urworstnhtmare

i've got my PS2 set up w/ Wireless G and it works perfectly fine

edit: you need an adapter like this to set up a wireless connection w/ the PS2