Just asking: is there any game you play as Nazi? - game idea?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

First of all, no, I do not support Nazis and their stupid view of the world, but I'm interessted if there is actually any game where you play as a Nazi?

Sure everyone loves to play as american superhero who frees the world by shooting anything that comes in his way, but I was thinking about a FPS where you're actually on the other side. Sure the Nazis shouldn't be portraid in a good manner, you could be a soldier forced to do what they tell you so you and you family doesn't get killed. You can actually add a lot of depth to a character not knowing what to do. Should he kill innocent jews or should he risk losing his family and his own life? Stuff like that. I'd really like to see some more depth in FPSes and I guess this setting would allow a lot of character depth and it could end Hali:Reach style @ DDay or something like that.

After the scene where you could kill innocents in an airport I guess there's no taboo left for FPSes and why not use it to create something unique, something more than "I'm an America, I have a gun and a lot of ammo ... dieeee"

So now, what do you think?
Is there a game you play as Nazi?¨
Is there a lack of interessting character and story in FPSes?
Would you buy and play a FPS where you can play as a Nazi?

I hope nobody feels offended, if so I apologise for it. It was just something that came to my mind while I was having lunch andI had to share it ^^

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

One of the few games that I can remember where you have the ability to play as a Nazi is a PC game called Panzers.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

day of defeat: source

dino d-day

Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Vangaurdius
Member since 2007 • 671 Posts

Red Orchestra 2 will have a German campaign. Also, it's Germans, not Nazis. The majority of Germans weren't Nazis. I'd suggest reading up on the various military orginizations that made up the German military.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#5 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

If you mean a game where you play as the Wehrmacht, there are a few - mainly multilayer - games out there that allow you to do so, such as Battlefield 1942 and Red Orchestra. Men of War: Assault Squad also features a few single player missions as the Germans, but it's not anything story-driven.

I'd be willing to play as almost anything, if only to avoid the tiresome square-chinned American superhero cliché that plagues so many games.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

hearts of iron 1-3

victoria IV

Bjorkfund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bjorkfund
Member since 2010 • 127 Posts
I dont think im especially interested in playing as a Nazi soldier conflicted between survival and killing innocent people, not more than any other FPS setting i suppose. But i like the idea, cause i for one am tired of all the generic "SUPER OPS OF AMERICA" bs they keep releasing over and over again. So yeah, thumbs up!
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

I think nearly every WWII mulitplayer game that ever existed had this option.:roll:

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#9 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Not that I know of but like others have said, there apparently are ones where you can do so. Although it seems exploitative to me to do it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Not enough. Most have been mentioned already, and again, they aren't "Nazi's." The German military wasn't a political ideology.
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ArchoNils2

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't aware that there are so many games that let you play as a Nazi, but I guess it's mainly MP? Is there any SP focussed on the life of a Nazi / any enemy of the US? And maybe something more than some mascular man doind mascular stuff? i'm knida burn-out of FPSes lately and the Borderland cure seems to vanish ^^

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
Company of Heroes is one
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Silent Hunter III lets you play as a Kriegsmarine U-boat captain and SHIV has a mission pack that adds German U-boats to the game as well as SHV (I don't recommend this to anyone though) takes you back to the Atlantic campaign. The iL2 series allows you to play as a Luftwaffe pilot to take on Soviet forces on the Eastern front. Yes, Panzers Phase One allows you to play as the Werhmacht.

It seems as if everyone wants to play just FPSes and not try other genres of games (I am somewhat guilty of it as I do not like RPGs and would not try them) and they end up missing out on some good games because of it. The end result are threads similar to this.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ArchoNils2

Silent Hunter III lets you play as a Kriegsmarine U-boat captain and SHIV has a mission pack that adds German U-boats to the game as well as SHV (I don't recommend this to anyone though) takes you back to the Atlantic campaign. The iL2 series allows you to play as a Luftwaffe pilot to take on Soviet forces on the Eastern front. Yes, Panzers Phase One allows you to play as the Werhmacht.

It seems as if everyone wants to play just FPSes and not try other genres of games (I am somewhat guilty of it as I do not like RPGs and would not try them) and they end up missing out on some good games because of it. The end result are threads similar to this.

WhiteKnight77

Not sure if it's directed to me, but I'm someone who play pretty much every genre (well maybe everything but spotrs), my fav genre is SRPG and my fav game sthis gen include Disgaea 3, Katamari Forever and Resonance of Fate. But as said, I play anything, including FPS and I somewhat got burnt-out of them, it would be nice to have something different. I would really really like to see an Anime-FPS (like XIII was a Comic FPS xD). Anyway, I guess a game with more story than *hey strong guy, kill them because they're evil" would be nice

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I don't like this idea of a nazi being "forced" to kill innocents to save his family. That just sounds incredibly generic and cliche. If a nazi were to ever be portrayed in a game. I would want him to be a regular soldier just like any other campaign. I don't want him thinking that he is on the wrong side and he is doing bad things. That just makes the whole point of playing as the bad guys pointless.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
There are some illegal neo-nazi indie games where you can do bad things to non-German citizens of Germany. But I hope that's not what you're looking for.
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
About any WWII game with competitive multiplayer let's you play as Germans.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts
While I have no specific desire to play as a Nazi, I'm pretty sick of the standard "US SpecOps saves world" and "Space Marine" hero cliches. I enjoy complex characters in complex situations. History is written by the winner, and citizens in one state are reported a completely different story than to citizens of the other, each side thinks they are defending home and dear ones, each side thinks the other are the aggressor. People forget that all government essentially start out as mafia, and this mafia over generations legitimizes itself until it seems perfectly normal to pay protection money on a tax form, if you don't pay you will receive a kind letter, and then a threatening letter, and eventually men with guns will show up at your door. If you resist, you will be killed. This is known as "the law" and it's really no different than Vinny and Bruno showing up to help you find your wallet. Recruitment posters and videos on all sides glorify service as knight-in-shining-armor saving babies from fire breathing dragons. The reality of the situation is, of course, complex but pretty much always boils down to money and resources. Past conflicts were about controlling farmland, sugar plantations, etc, today it's oil pipelines and minerals. Patriotism and morality are a dog and pony show, a shell game, smoke and mirrors. Games that go against the grain always draw fire from politicians (see GTA) and tend to become outlawed in these "free societies."