Jeff's Termination Discussion Thread - Please Keep ALL Related Discussion Here

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

This isn't quite an 'official' thread, but it will make things much cleaner on the GGD board if we focus our discussion to a single thread. I can't make this stickied, but I don't have any doubts regarding it staying alive due to user posts and such.

Also, to keep things from getting out of hand, let's not resort to talks regarding to things like board invasions, account suicides, and the such. This is something that has struck us all in a deep way, and letting the emotions get too out of hand isn't going to make things any easier for us all.

Thanks for your understanding.

Nightingale27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Nightingale27
Member since 2006 • 661 Posts
Firing Jeff is like Gamespot running over a bunch of puppies and kittens with a hummer.
Lorindol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lorindol
Member since 2004 • 2589 Posts

Can you tell us how much of the stuff we are hearing is true...or are they going to make a newsline about it soon.

Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

I got too emotional last night and vowed never to come back to GameSpot. For one thing, I won't be coming here for the reviews, but rather the community. That is one thing I like about GameSpot.

I feel bad for Jeff, but I know that he'll do just fine. As for what has transpired over the last 24 hours or so, I find it outrageous. Although, I did find some much needed hilarity in the player reviews for Kayne & Lynch -- Ugh, it's hard to think about that game. I know for many (myself included), the credibilty of GameSpot and reviews in general, have very little meaning.

Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts

Firing Jeff is like Gamespot running over a bunch of puppies and kittens with a hummer.Nightingale27

I lol'd

But seriously, this sucks.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Skylock00

Can you tell us how much of the stuff we are hearing is true...or are they going to make a newsline about it soon.Lorindol
I don't really know much more than you guys do on any official level, and I don't think any of the editors or such (or even Jeff) can legally disclose too much information on the matter.

So I can't really say much more about the matter, other than yes, Jeff is no longer with Gamespot, and I don't know when they'll make any sort of official announcement on the matter.

Lorindol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lorindol

[QUOTE="Lorindol"]Can you tell us how much of the stuff we are hearing is true...or are they going to make a newsline about it soon.Skylock00

I don't really know much more than you guys do on any official level, and I don't think any of the editors or such (or even Jeff) can legally disclose too much information on the matter.

So I can't really say much more about the matter, other than yes, Jeff is no longer with Gamespot, and I don't know when they'll make any sort of official announcement on the matter.

thanks for the reply

Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lanezy

[QUOTE="Lorindol"]Can you tell us how much of the stuff we are hearing is true...or are they going to make a newsline about it soon.Skylock00

You Mods must be having a rough 24 hours. I know JustPlainLucas lost his cool in the off-topic board, but apologized afterwards.

kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kingfire11
Member since 2005 • 1498 Posts

thanks, that was what I wanted to know. it's pretty sad though.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
This really has been pretty abrupt. I've never seen anything like this on Gamespot.
kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kingfire11
Member since 2005 • 1498 Posts
[QUOTE="Skylock00"]

[QUOTE="Lorindol"]Can you tell us how much of the stuff we are hearing is true...or are they going to make a newsline about it soon.Lanezy

You Mods must be having a rough 24 hours. I know JustPlainLucas lost his cool in the off-topic board, but apologized afterwards.

Wait, JustPlaintLuces did what?

JC-Watts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JC-Watts
Member since 2004 • 11967 Posts
Jeff is as free as a butterfly he will fly to new adventures, god bless him and god bless this forum.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Skylock00

Lanezy

Yeah, it's rough, but the only things I'm really addressing are people who are being foolish enough to think that account suiciding is going to do any good, which it doesn't.

All it does is give the moderators more work, when we have nothing to do with the situation, and in several cases feel just as upset as you guys about it.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I read some more info about this from other sources. But it looks like the Eidos thing is true but there's also something deeper.

It looks like the recent management change is the catalyst.

BlackdogGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 BlackdogGT
Member since 2003 • 172 Posts
Your company should be ashamed, Skylock. Rumors such as these tend to be true. It's outrageous, and hopefully GS feels the effect in a loss of traffic because of it.
trigun3x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 trigun3x
Member since 2004 • 1987 Posts
Skylock00 is doing a great job trying to organise this board with all the chaos, good luck to the moderators in the next few days....

my opinion doesn't change much from user to user, i liked Jeff's reviews on games, if the rumours to his firing are true then it's more of a disjustice to the journalist community
mitch3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mitch3
Member since 2004 • 352 Posts

i missed the Freak of Of JustPlaneLucas, But if he looses it, then this is something big,

I do know from the few Editor blogs i have read there all scared or really saddend by this

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Skylock00

Your company should be ashamed, Skylock. Rumors such as these tend to be true. It's outrageous, and hopefully GS feels the effect in a loss of traffic because of it.BlackdogGT
What do you mean 'my' company?

I don't work directly for Gamespot or CNet other than being a community moderator. I have no control or say over /anything/ with the company, and I'm not even a paid employee or anything.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

Skylock, do you think the admins will approve this topic? I think they've said that they want all Jeff talk to be limited to the thread in the OT board.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Skylock00

Skylock, do you think the admins will approve this topic? I think they've said that they want all Jeff talk to be limited to the thread in the OT board.

dog64
They gave the thumbs up for a similar topic to be made in the GGD, so we should be fine.
Username289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Username289
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts
Finally a mod who isn't out there blocking the floodgate of Jeff advocate threads.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Skylock00

Finally a mod who isn't out there blocking the floodgate of Jeff advocate threads.Username289
We never were trying to do that, though. We were asked by the admins to direct all discussion to the thread in off topic, which we have been trying to do, and now we've been given clearance to do a similar thread in GGD.

We aren't trying to stop anyone from talking about this, at all, just keep it organized and focused.

Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lanezy
One things for sure: Kayne & Lynche: Dead Men is probably the most hated game here on GameSpot. I wonder if the game, or if other published/future published games by Eidos will take a hit in sales?
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Travo_basic

Your company should be ashamed, Skylock. Rumors such as these tend to be true. It's outrageous, and hopefully GS feels the effect in a loss of traffic because of it.BlackdogGT

His company? Slylock doesn't get paid. He volunteers.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dariency
[QUOTE="dog64"]

Skylock00

They gave the thumbs up for a similar topic to be made in the GGD, so we should be fine.

That's good. I think we needed a new topic anyway because the one in OT is getting too flooded. I don't know it'll be allowed to reach 10,000 posts or what.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I can't quite make up my mind.

Option A: Watching the deleted video review (once again, thanks YouTube) I've been wondering: what if this is just a dirty trick to give Gamespot visibilty by giving the gaming community something to talk about?

Yet, this is a pretty cynical thing to think, so I won't.

Option B: Jeff has some guts. I mean, he's been in the gaming industry for a decade, he knew what he was running into for bashing a game like Kake & Leech. yet he decided to do it anyway. How brave was that? IF and I stress IF this is the case, he's going to be my favouite reviewer on IGN or whoever hires him next.

One thing I'm 101% sure: Kate & Lucy: Dead Men is not going to sell much. Everybody is going to hate it for what happened. they should have swallowed their 6.0, now they're going to lose their money. MONEY. MONEY. MONEY.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ASK_Story

Just wondering Skylock, you don't have to answer. But are you thinking about leaving Gamespot after this and not posting here anymore?

I'm considering it especially if all the people I discuss with here leave as well.

The forums won't be the same that's for sure.

Lorindol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lorindol
the talk in this thread is a bit more civil.......thats a good thing, the hate in OT is just amazing right now....
BlackdogGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BlackdogGT
Member since 2003 • 172 Posts

[QUOTE="BlackdogGT"]Your company should be ashamed, Skylock. Rumors such as these tend to be true. It's outrageous, and hopefully GS feels the effect in a loss of traffic because of it.Skylock00

What do you mean 'my' company?

I don't work directly for Gamespot or CNet other than being a community moderator. I have no control or say over /anything/ with the company, and I'm not even a paid employee or anything.

Apologies to you then, Sky. I rarely visit the forums here, so I'm not up to speed on the roles of the moderators and their ties to Gamespot. My opinion remains, though. Don't take my post as a flame directed at you or an attempt to garner attention. I've read up on the story via 1up and Kotaku, though I visit this site on a regular and daily basis. I trust(ed) this site, subscribe to the Hotspot poscast, and generally enjoy all of the content. But the negatives of this issue greatly outweigh the positives. And that's why I'm done with CNET based websites. Shame, really.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#30 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

ONe things for sure: Kayne & Lynche: Dead Men is probably the most hated game here on GameSpot.Lanezy

Yes, and that saddens me. Neither Io Interactive nor their game deserves this. Just like Jeff and all of the guys at GameSpot, they've been pushed into becoming the key players of something that's out of their control.

neojam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 neojam
Member since 2004 • 1220 Posts
I think Jeff should go and open his own unbiased review site, where he doesn't have to kiss investors "backside" in his reviews to stay employed. I bet he could find a lot of good sponsors after that much of publicity to make a living of it.

About CNET, IGN, GS, Gamespy & etc, they are all about marketing and money now.
If you want journalistic credibility, you should look elsewhere.

I'll stick to Kotaku & other gawker blogs for my reading needs.
gigaman299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 gigaman299
Member since 2004 • 1735 Posts
WHOA! WHOOOOA. WHOOOOOOOOOOA! I don't know why he got fired, or terminated but that's pretty bad on Gamespot... Jeff was a good reviewer that spoke the truth, I don't see why he got terminated. That's baaad..... I don't see why Jeff G. got fired. Lots of games got bad reviews... what makes this mediocre game so special? Besides, MOST review sites gave it less than 6.5, why'd Jeff get fired?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Member since 2005 • 7040 Posts

[QUOTE="Lanezy"]ONe things for sure: Kayne & Lynche: Dead Men is probably the most hated game here on GameSpot.UpInFlames

Yes, and that saddens me. Neither Io Interactive nor their game deserves this. Just like Jeff and all of the guys at GameSpot, they've been pushed into becoming the key players of something that's out of their control.

Yeah, stop the hate on Kane & Lynch. IO Interactive are great, they made the game and have nothing to do with any of this crap. They also made two of my favorite last-gen games: Hitman 2 and Freedom Fighters.

Hate Eidos all you want, but don't take it out on the developers, who had nothing to do with their corporate corruption.

Ravenprose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ravenprose
Member since 2007 • 418 Posts
I feel real bad for Jeff and the rest of the Gamespot team. This is an awful thing to happen to such a great site and community. I've read Gamespot since 2001, and I'd hate to think that corporate greed may lead to its downfall. I'm going to stick around for a while and see what happens. I'll decide in a week or two if I want to continue supporting this site.
Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dariency

Just wondering Skylock, you don't have to answer. But are you thinking about leaving Gamespot after this and not posting here anymore?

I'm considering it especially if all the people I discuss with here leave as well.

ASK_Story

Personally I don't think leaving Gamespot or cancelling your total access is going to help any. You're just taking away your extra privileges on the site for something that really doesn't affect you. We may all be upset about Jeff being fired, as am I, but it's not causing me to leave. And Gamespot isn't going to suffer much even if many more people unsubscribe. This site gets many new visitors everyday. Some of them will subscribe, notknowing about Jeff or who we was, and then Cnet/Gamespot will get their subscription money back.

But everyone do what your conscience tells you.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Skylock00

ASK_Story

Well, I guess it comes down to what happens to some of the other guys who work at GS, and the community itself. I've worked hard for this community for years, and it's really the only general gaming community that I'm a member of, so it's something that I hold strongly as important.

I'm still not sure what I'll do, but leaving GS isn't out of the question, as much as I don't like to say it.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Skylock00
Oh, also, I want to thank UpInFlames, who was the one who got the green light for this thread to be made. :)
bpenticuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bpenticuff
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Have the mods given serious consideration to quitting over this? It's a horrible example of credibility and integrity lost (or in this case sacrificed on the altar of marketing) and I am suprised to think that anyone whose ability to make ends meat isn't affected by quiting would choose to stay?

Do you choose to remain a moderater on these boards because you believe in the company that you are serving? Or do you simply enjoy doing it enough that it outweighs what taking a stand would cost you personally?

This isn't meant as a flame though obviously its pointed. I'm just curious to hear why you would continue to moderate and in turn provide a free service to a company that has done what they have done to an employee of 10 years for the reasons that appear to have occured.

Good luck to all of those unfairly tainted by this throughout CNet's affiliates. This probably sucks more than it does for Jeff at this point since he at least has the benefit of being a martyr in this mess.

neojam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 neojam
Member since 2004 • 1220 Posts

[QUOTE="Lanezy"]ONe things for sure: Kayne & Lynche: Dead Men is probably the most hated game here on GameSpot.UpInFlames

True, but EIDOS is more than just partially responsible for what have happened here as well.
Its like CELL9SONG has said over at valleywag:
"if they did indeed pull their advertising due to the negative review then they are complicit in this whole affair. Technically they may well be within their legal rights to do so but I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't be able to see the ramifications of their actions. The whole thing smells vaguely of payola."
And i agree with him.

bpenticuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bpenticuff
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Youv'e kinda adressed it since I started typing, feel free to ignore this post. Good luck to you.
Darkryu44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Darkryu44
Member since 2003 • 370 Posts

Two words: Sold out.

I'm sorry, but if Gamespot supports this virus that's infected the gaming industry, I refuse to read you're reviews. And to top that all off, you guys fearfully locked at least 10 legible posts about your own loyal users complaining. Goodbye.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Skylock00

Do you choose to remain a moderater on these boards because you believe in the company that you are serving? Or do you simply enjoy doing it enough that it outweighs what taking a stand would cost you personally?

bpenticuff

Well, in all honesty, I didn't become a moderator because I believed in the company I'm serving, because I don't feel like I serve CNet as a company, or even Gamespot as a company as much. I serve the community, and that has always been my incentive to becoming a moderator, and staying a moderator.

So really, my incentive to stay will weigh more on the community side of things than anything else.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Skylock00

Two words: Sold out.

I'm sorry, but if Gamespot supports this virus that's infected the gaming industry, I refuse to read you're reviews. And to top that all off, you guys fearfully locked at least 10 legible posts about your own loyal users complaining. Goodbye.

Darkryu44

We didn't 'fearfully' lock anything, so you can drop the tone there.

We want to simply keep discussion focused in one thread, that's all, because it's much better for everyone than 10 separate threads on the same topic.

Nightingale27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Nightingale27

check out my new sig.

I am seriously pissed about this though. I joined Gamespot about a two years ago, but have come here every day since. If the reviews turn fake, I might put a bullet in my head, or something to that effect.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

Skylock00

Well, I guess it comes down to what happens to some of the other guys who work at GS, and the community itself. I've worked hard for this community for years, and it's really the only general gaming community that I'm a member of, so it's something that I hold strongly as important.

I'm still not sure what I'll do, but leaving GS isn't out of the question, as much as I don't like to say it.

I understand.

All I'll say is if you leave than I'll probably end up leaving as well. Because when long time mods who contributed so much to this forum start leaving than the heart and soul of this forum is dead if you ask me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Member since 2005 • 7040 Posts

So I wonder if Jeff is getting another job at a mag or another site? Not to mention all the other GS staff, Tim T. and anyone else.

This Ghost bat also ponders these questions:

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Travo_basic
So in the long run, what do you guys think will happen to Gamespot? I've been coming here for a long time and really enjoy this community. I couldn't imagine having to go to another site for my gaming info.
Nightingale27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Nightingale27

If everyone leaves, how will we still stay unified?

Where will we go?

FM2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FM2000
Member since 2005 • 131 Posts

I just canceled my total access account. Not really because I'll miss Jeff all that much (nothing personal, he was a good reviewer), but because I can't trust a site that's going to put advertising and making money from it, over giving honest reviews, even if it means a game with a lot of hype about it gets shot down out of the gate.

Gamespot used to be the site FOR gamers, BY gamers...now it's the site FOR gamers, BY coporate suits and advertisers!

I've noticed that Gamespot has been sliding downhill ever since Rich left...On the Spot has become more or less a "maybe we'll have a show this week, maybe we won't".