Japan waiting out the post launch drought

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yomi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 yomi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3915 Posts

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/1314.html

Interesting tidbit on Japan's most wanted games and their presence on PS3.

It will be interesting to see how the release of these highly anticipated titles affects PS3 sales. If a crap game like Gundam Mushoo (intentional), can generate increased PS3 sales these games should be able to help as well.

Acenso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Acenso
Member since 2006 • 2355 Posts

So you mean a Sony Fanboy Site is creditable now? Thats kind of like the recent MGS4 rumor...Source...Xbox Forums

Also about the Fami List. According to Fami...Tied with FFXII was Lost Planet for first place with Readers choice. Do we really need a sales graph for that? Heck by gh that...Couldn't we say the same about the Gamespot list? Fallout must be the most anticapated game comming out.

yomi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 yomi_basic

So you mean a Sony Fanboy Site is creditable now? Thats kind of like the recent MGS4 rumor...Source...Xbox Forums

Also about the Fami List. According to Fami...Tied with FFXII was Lost Planet for first place with Readers choice. Do we really need a sales graph for that? Heck by gh that...Couldn't we say the same about the Gamespot list? Fallout must be the most anticapated game comming out.

Acenso

1. If news is true does it matter what the source is it's not like your disputing the facts they state. I know that any news about PS3 that's not negative is tough for you to accept but cmon.

2. It's true that most anticipated lists can be decieving because the games don't always turn out. We've seen the same thing happen to Nintndeo in the past and anticpiation not really turn into console sales.

As I said earlier interesting to see what happens.

Korn_Wallace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Korn_Wallace
Member since 2002 • 1950 Posts

Hopefully, Sony can get some games out in Japan that can stimulate demand. What are some anticipated games for the second half of 2007 coming out for the PS3 in Japan? I would imagine it would be different from heavily anticipated 2007 PS3 games in the US like Uncharted and Grand Theft Auto 4.

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts
^^^Actually the GTA series is pretty popular in Japan due to the fact that it is backed by a big publsiher "Capcom". The main reason why games like Guitar Hero or Call of Duty 3 take the charts is because the fact that they are picked up by small publishers. It's the same reason why games like Disgea and Persona sell very well in Japan but terrible in the U.S., because they are picked up by small niche publishers, and the thing is Take 2 and Activision can't publish it there since they don't have Japanese studios there to publish them. This also explains why the Xbox has always done so poorly due to it only having "niche" games.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I read a blog from an ex-Nextgen.biz contributor that basically said Famitsu was bought and paid for, or in other words, you could buy positive press from the magazine by forking over the cash.

I don't know if it's true or not, but it doesn't really matter. Famitsu is absolute garbage as far as I'm concerned. They are so out in space with most things that I'd sooner take game-buying advice from a slathering crackhead over on 3rd and Van Buren. That they may be taking bribes only cements this.

We'll have to wait and see how this poll equates into revenue, but wasn't Virtua Fighter 5 on the top of a poll as well at one point? And didn't VF5 sell pretty poorly in Japan? Which brings me to my final point: A poll can be orchestrated to show whatever the person doing the polling wants, and that goes for everything - not just video games. A poll is a step and a half away from being no better than anecdotal "a friend of my brother's girlfriend's mother's uncle said....." type of evidence.

The proof that Japan is waiting for the PS3 to gain a head of steam will be proven when it starts selling above 10,000 units a week, and closes the gap on the Wii from 5:1 down to 1:1. Until then, it's all hot air.

yomi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 yomi_basic

I read a blog from an ex-Nextgen.biz contributor that basically said Famitsu was bought and paid for, or in other words, you could buy positive press from the magazine by forking over the cash.

I don't know if it's true or not, but it doesn't really matter. Famitsu is absolute garbage as far as I'm concerned. They are so out in space with most things that I'd sooner take game-buying advice from a slathering crackhead over on 3rd and Van Buren. That they may be taking bribes only cements this.

We'll have to wait and see how this poll equates into revenue, but wasn't Virtua Fighter 5 on the top of a poll as well at one point? And didn't VF5 sell pretty poorly in Japan? Which brings me to my final point: A poll can be orchestrated to show whatever the person doing the polling wants, and that goes for everything - not just video games. A poll is a step and a half away from being no better than anecdotal "a friend of my brother's girlfriend's mother's uncle said....." type of evidence.

The proof that Japan is waiting for the PS3 to gain a head of steam will be proven when it starts selling above 10,000 units a week, and closes the gap on the Wii from 5:1 down to 1:1. Until then, it's all hot air.

Shame-usBlackley

Polls have shown to be a pretty good barometer for many things (such as voting) so no polls (in general) are not a step from anecdotal.

As I said before gaming polls do not necessarily equate to console sales but that's not a flaw with the poll it's just that the purpose of the poll is not to estimate future console sales.

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

Shame-usBlackley

Totally agreed. I found it a little odd that with their recent Top 20 most wanted list included Eternal Sonata and Halo. I mean no offense but how could the gamers be hyped up for a game if they don't even know what the game is!?