It's official now - New Tomb Raider will have Multiplayer - Opinions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

According to this source:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/28/tomb-raider-multiplayer-announced

the next TR installment will have Multiplayer.

What are your feelings, impressions about it and what do you think how it'll work?

puddinghead101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 puddinghead101
Member since 2012 • 190 Posts

I won't judge it too early because I know nothing about it but aside from making a generic shooting type of multiplayer I don't know what else they can do.

Hopefully they will come up with something inventive otherwise it will just feel tacked on.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44390 Posts
Awesome. I'm all for adding online mp features to any game so I'm really looking forward to seeing what these features will be like in a Tomb Raider game.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
YAY ! Now add alil Co-op and I'm sold !
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Just killed my interest in it.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

It certainly doesn't need it, but the main single-player game is still been handled by Crystal Dynamics, the team who always worked on the Tomb Raider franchise, and Eidos Montreal, the team that made Deus-Ex: Human Revolution, has worked on the multiplayer, so I guess I'm fine with it. I'd highly doubt that they'll have made any compromises to the single-player game, especially when they know the Single-Player is the key attraction for Tomb Raider fans (I mean you can't stop playing and just stare at Lara's t*ts for an hour if you're playing with someone else :P), to get this multiplayer in the game, which is TBH, sounding more like a Co-Op, possibly a "Horde" style gametype, than full on VS multiplayer.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Ewwwww.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Justforvisit

It certainly doesn't need it, but the main single-player game is still been handled by Crystal Dynamics, the team who always worked on the Tomb Raider franchise, and Eidos Montreal, the team that made Deus-Ex: Human Revolution, has worked on the multiplayer, so I guess I'm fine with it. I'd highly doubt that they'll have made any compromises to the single-player game, especially when they know the Single-Player is the key attraction for Tomb Raider fans (I mean you can't stop playing and just stare at Lara's t*ts for an hour if you're playing with someone else :P), to get this multiplayer in the game, which is TBH, sounding more like a Co-Op, possibly a "Horde" style gametype, than full on VS multiplayer.

spike6958

All of a sudden I had the impression of a 1st Person View Multiplayer where everyone always runs around with camera aimed DOWN xD

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Its no surprise. This reboot is an attempt to make Tomb Raider relevant by doing what the cool kids are doing, and multiplayer is pretty much de rigueur for retail games nowadays.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
What a stupid waste of time and money. Must they whore out multiplayer modes in every single game from now on...... has Call Of Duty cast that large a shadow.... jesus. Noone wants this.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#11 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

It's hilarious how this is a dealbreaker for some people. :lol:

I'm still getting the game, but I won't be using the multiplayer.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#12 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Jackc8
Why? Just don't play the MP. I'll still be getting it, because I love Tomb Raider, and I want to see how they handle this new Lara direction. If anything, the controversy surrounding the single player should be what may or may not kill your interest in the game, not some tacked on feature that you'll never use that doesn't make the game anymore expensive for your to purchase.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Maybe I'll have some cool survival elements to it. Lara Vs. thugs in a huge map in like a 1 Vs. 10 setting could be fun.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Justforvisit

Hm all I hope for is when they have Online Trophies,

PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE DON'T put in Trophies like

"Play 10000000 Matches" or "Reach Level 9999" >_<

That's what really kills off a good portion of Fun for Trophy Hunters -.-

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

JustPlainLucas

Why? Just don't play the MP. I'll still be getting it, because I love Tomb Raider, and I want to see how they handle this new Lara direction. If anything, the controversy surrounding the single player should be what may or may not kill your interest in the game, not some tacked on feature that you'll never use that doesn't make the game anymore expensive for your to purchase.

couldn't have said it any better myself.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Justforvisit

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="Jackc8"]

Lucky_Krystal

couldn't have said it any better myself.

Well, many people believe that the usual "We're using two different teams for SP and MP" that's often pulled as "shield" is a straight out lie. No idea if it's true here though or if they stated this at all.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Nope.

Gamefly it is.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

It's hilarious how this is a dealbreaker for some people. :lol:

I'm still getting the game, but I won't be using the multiplayer.

Lucky_Krystal

It's not a dealbreaker for me... I'm still going to get to play the game by renting it. They just won't get the $60 I had set aside for it.

It's a win/win situation for me.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Will reserve judgement until I see what's the MP about. If it is something like Uncharted 2: Buy. If it's something like Bioshock 2: Rent.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

"And much disappointment set in, in the lands where Alli resided. There would be no journey to find such a game upon its release now, the possibility of it touching her console now was slim, yet the shades of what could have been proceeded to linger, like ghosts of the past still clinging to the life they once held."

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
I lost interest as soon as I saw that they turned Lara into (see: Metroid Other M) so this doesn't really affect my decision to not buy the game. It does how you that the devs are in it for the money though, and I don't think it's too farfetched that Lara will be a guy in the next TR. Dudebro AAA gaemz 4 all.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#23 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I lost interest as soon as I saw that they turned Lara into (see: Metroid Other M) so this doesn't really affect my decision to not buy the game. It does how you that the devs are in it for the money though, and I don't think it's too farfetched that Lara will be a guy in the next TR. Dudebro AAA gaemz 4 all. istuffedsunny

I highly doubt Lara will ever be replaced in a Tomb Raider game.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
I just don't see the need for multi-player, especially not in a Tomb Raider game out of all things. Still not a dealbreaker though, its ultimately just a useless feature I'm going to ignore anyway as the single-player is fortunately still the main focus here (it still is, right?)
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
I just don't see the need for multi-player, especially not in a Tomb Raider game out of all things. Still not a dealbreaker though, its ultimately just a useless feature I'm going to ignore anyway as the single-player is fortunately still the main focus here (it still is, right?)koospetoors
Its not a need or a necessaty, its what they WANTed to do. I mean who lives their life on a need by need basis.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Justforvisit

[QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]I lost interest as soon as I saw that they turned Lara into (see: Metroid Other M) so this doesn't really affect my decision to not buy the game. It does how you that the devs are in it for the money though, and I don't think it's too farfetched that Lara will be a guy in the next TR. Dudebro AAA gaemz 4 all. IndianaPwns39

Oh but some certain parts of her have... :D

...for example her face looks quite asian now in my opinion on most screenshots o.o

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#28 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

[QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]I lost interest as soon as I saw that they turned Lara into (see: Metroid Other M) so this doesn't really affect my decision to not buy the game. It does how you that the devs are in it for the money though, and I don't think it's too farfetched that Lara will be a guy in the next TR. Dudebro AAA gaemz 4 all. Justforvisit

Oh but some certain parts of her have... :D

...for example her face looks quite asian now in my opinion on most screenshots o.o

I mean I don't see her being replaced, character wise. This is still "Lara Croft".

Lara has always changed appearance wise game to game, albeit minor changes.

Killzonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Killzonage
Member since 2012 • 397 Posts
Will hold off judgement till I see it.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#30 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Not interested in multiplayer at all and not sure why they would waste time taking it on.. people will be buying Tomb Raider for the story and to see how Lara Croft went from an innocent young woman into the badass she ended up as.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1842 Posts

THe more I hear about this game the more I don't want to play it. I was actually very excited when it was first shown.

CooperThief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 CooperThief
Member since 2009 • 648 Posts

I'm not making any presumptions.

Besides, it's not like you have to play it. The single player is obviously still the main attraction.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
I guess they had to add some replay value somehow.
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

The only reason I would care is because the game will probably have trophies which require playing multiplayer which I have no interest in playing whether it's good or not.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

The only reason I would care is because the game will probably have trophies which require playing multiplayer which I have no interest in playing whether it's good or not.

Alter_Echo

Wait you won't even play it if it's good? What the hell? So you're telling me that if this multiplayer is a break out hit (not likely but you never know) that you'll still pass? Surely you're not that anti-social as you are here communing with other gamers.

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts
Doesn't bother me. I am guessing that like the campaign mode they'll just lift whatever Uncharted does for multiplayer. Still looking forward to it, an Uncharted clone is better than nothing.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Justforvisit

I guess they had to add some replay value somehow.1PMrFister

But they managed to do so in earlier TR Games without the need of MP, like giving Lara different costume unlocks for finding a certain amount of treasures, the treasure hunting in itself as well and the Time Challenge in TR Anniversary for example, and probably some more stuff as well which I can't think of.

And Trophies itself are for some people one of the biggest replay factors ever. But as stated above and as also I stated earlier, this very special replay value might be completely killed off if they have some really ridicolous Trophies which only exist to fill up their servers.

N3MO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 N3MO
Member since 2002 • 20333 Posts
The hints dropped so far about the multiplayer part of the game seem to hint at it being more like Guardian of Light than anything else. Which I am all for since I enjoyed that game.
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

[QUOTE="Alter_Echo"]

Yusuke420

Wait you won't even play it if it's good? What the hell? So you're telling me that if this multiplayer is a break out hit (not likely but you never know) that you'll still pass? Surely you're not that anti-social as you are here communing with other gamers.

I literally have less than zero interest in Tomb Raider based MP. If it's so great that the whole entire world starts playing it I'll be the last guy to do it and only because there is nobody left to play anything else with.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#40 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Should have stuck with single player only. Either way, I won't bother with the multiplayer.