Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Load_Master
Member since 2019 • 10 Posts

Hello,

been watching a while and now posting. I have been wondering about this for a while and want some input.

Is dumpster diving at GameStop legal?

like this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rPx97ump2tY

Can I get into trouble for it?

Does anybody else do this?

It looks like it might be worth the risk.

Dire_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Dire_Raven
Member since 2019 • 44 Posts

@load_master: Dumpster diving is perfectly legal, unless done to someone else private property. For stores and/or retailers, there is no law that states otherwise.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I don’t think it’s a GameStop decision to not allow dumpster diving but a mall or property policy on trespassing.

If GameStop really wanted something destroyed they’d pay to have a third party do it. But maybe they rely on the mall’s policy in order to save a buck and assume they won’t be doven into. I worked for SCEA during the ps2 era and they’d regularly destroy returns or accessories they couldn’t sell. I remember sending out a few skids of remotes and those ps1 slim monitors that sat for years.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 GNS
Member since 2015 • 917 Posts

Did not see the video, but I'm assuming you're talking about rummaging through trash to search for valuable items? Depends on the country in question. In mine, it is legal, although, fround upon.

Load_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Load_Master

It’s insane that they trash these items. I mean I understand they have limited space and if they give it out for free that’s also a potential lost sale.

I guess the trash at a GameStop is a possible gold mine. I just don’t want trouble.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sevenizz

@dire_raven: Tresspassing is illegal and enforceable though.

Dire_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dire_Raven
Member since 2019 • 44 Posts

@Sevenizz: You are not trespassing a public retail store, if you are outside said store dumpster diving. That's not to say the owners do not have any security features implemented to prevent an issue like that from arising (like installing security cameras and adding locks to dumpsters). If you were trying to "break in" inside the store, that would be considered trespassing and illegal. Simply accessing the dumpster of a public store, is not. It might be peculiar but it is not illegal.

Unless it is private property or situated in a private area, then it is not illegal.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sevenizz

@dire_raven: I guarantee you every mall or plaza will have signs up by their garbage with trespassing warnings (assuming they haven’t been vandalized). It’s part of building codes. It’s mostly there for your safety and they wouldn’t want to be found liable should something happen in an unsupervised and unsafe area. Everywhere in a shopping centre is private property. This includes waste removal, delivery areas, parking lots, and obviously the stores themselves. Trespassing is illegal. Always has been.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Bin-raking?

Load_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Load_Master

@mandzilla: ?

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mandzilla  Moderator

@load_master: Dumpster-diving = bin-raking in my country. Not illegal I think, but kinda frowned upon if you were to get caught doing it on someone's property. Sorta like in Stardew Valley.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

@dire_raven: I guarantee you every mall or plaza will have signs up by their garbage with trespassing warnings (assuming they haven’t been vandalized). It’s part of building codes. It’s mostly there for your safety and they wouldn’t want to be found liable should something happen in an unsupervised and unsafe area. Everywhere in a shopping centre is private property. This includes waste removal, delivery areas, parking lots, and obviously the stores themselves. Trespassing is illegal. Always has been.

If the dumpster is locked it is illegal, trespassing or not.

Tigrangelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tigrangelic
Member since 2019 • 4 Posts

it's legal allright =^:)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@mandzilla said:

@load_master: Dumpster-diving = bin-raking in my country. Not illegal I think, but kinda frowned upon if you were to get caught doing it on someone's property. Sorta like in Stardew Valley.

It's cool. If Gus sees you doing it he'll offer you a bite to eat.

-Byshop

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mandzilla  Moderator

@Byshop: Yeah, Gus is saintly.