Is there such a thing as "too good"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TransformerRobo
Member since 2011 • 549 Posts

Is it possible for graphics these days to look "too good" as the saying goes?

I think so, because video games are supposed to be games, not interractive movies. If you want an engaging story with special effects up the ass, go watch Pacific Rim or Avatar.

CreatureRising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#2 CreatureRising
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts

I actually was thinking about this.   I remember reading an article here on Gamespot about how graphics will be life like in a couple years and it made think.  Would I really want to play something that is life like?   I like great graphics, but I just think graphics that are to realistic would detract from the game for me.  Hard to explain why, but I just feel it would.  

isv666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 isv666
Member since 2005 • 161 Posts

I actually was thinking about this.   I remember reading an article here on Gamespot about how graphics will be life like in a couple years and it made think.  Would I really want to play something that is life like?   I like great graphics, but I just think graphics that are to realistic would detract from the game for me.  Hard to explain why, but I just feel it would.  

CreatureRising

Hard to explain, yes, but I think I get what you're saying.  I don't think I would want to play something with graphics that you can't differentiate from reality.  Not only that, it gives activists more reason to criticize games when you're shooting people who look so realistic. Not that I feel that should hold back developers, critics, I mean.  But "too good" is just... I dunno, not my thing.  I think graphics are in a good place right now.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

I've played quite a few games where I've had to stop and admire a view or be really impressed with how good it looks.

I've yet to play a game that made me stop because the graphics were just too damn good!

Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
I feel that it would be weird to play a game that the characters look so real it feels like I am playing an interactive movie and not a video game.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

I doubt we'll see life-like games which have to render everything that makes a scene realistic real-time (sound/visuals/AI/animation), too much data for computer hardware to handle on their own (current and next-gen for a while), not to mention rendering the particles from an explosion, shockwaves, bloodsplatter, water, so on and son on... The uncanny valley is here to stay for a long time until hardware is properly utilized to achieve the realistic renders (Most of us will be too old maybe when that happens).

Look at some of the games now that are presumably "realistic". Crysis 3 w/ mods. GTA4 w/ mods. Skyrim w/ Mods... They all run poorly when trying to achieve "realistic" visuals and they still look like video games and not like RL... Yes they have reached great strides in the visual/sound/lighting departements, but AI is still lacking, Animations are clunky even with EAs "supposed" realistic Ant engine they used for FIFA and BF3. They are still missing a lot of stuff.

The movies you mentioned are not rendered real-time, so they can add as much detail as they want. Real-time it probably runs at 1-2 frame per minute/hour.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

Is it possible for graphics these days to look "too good" as the saying goes?

I think so, because video games are supposed to be games, not interractive movies. If you want an engaging story with special effects up the ass, go watch Pacific Rim or Avatar.

TransformerRobo

I really don't understand this logic. What is wrong with interactive movies? If I go see Pacific Rim or Avatar, I won't have any control of the action, and that's what I like about games. Control and interactivity. A good story in a game is FAR more enjoyable then a good story in a movie for me. At least when it comes to stories that have a lot of fighting. Not just for interactivity either, but games provide better length then movies as well.

Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

More real the better. We hsave a ways to go. Maybe PS5 or XBOX One 2 lol will have those sort of graphics. I think in 10 to 15 years we will finally be there.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

Nope. Improving the graphics does not mean the interactivity of games will lessen.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70545 Posts

I think its time for devs to jump off the graphics bandwagon and focus on making more interesting games.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

When I play the Crysis games I feel that the graphics are so good that It takes away from the gameplay.

Sometimes I stop just to look around at the beautiful scenery to take it all in and than die in the process.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lazyathew

I think its time for devs to jump off the graphics bandwagon and focus on making more interesting games.

Pedro

I think that kinda happened. PS4 and X1 aren't a very big improvement graphically. And Nintendo stopped caring about graphics when they made the Wii.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

When I play the Crysis games I feel that the graphics are so good that It takes away from the gameplay.

Sometimes I stop just to look around at the beautiful scenery to take it all in and than die in the process.

marcheegsr
Crysis on PS3?
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

Why would this matter? And what's wrong with interactive movies anyway? Heavy Rain was great. I can't see good graphics hindering my experience in a game. Do you avoid games that look like Pixar movies? Or do you avoid Pixar movies because they look like video games? I don't understand this logic. The defining qualities of a video game is the interactive component, not how it looks. 

Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

No, why would that be the case?  Eventually we will get to the point where photo-realistic graphics are common - some games will have that, others will go for a more stylized route, etc.  What would the problem with that be?  Would it deter you from enjoying the game?  

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Why would this matter? And what's wrong with interactive movies anyway? Heavy Rain was great. I can't see good graphics hindering my experience in a game. Do you avoid games that look like Pixar movies? Or do you avoid Pixar movies because they look like video games? I don't understand this logic. The defining qualities of a video game is the interactive component, not how it looks. 

Tropictrain
Atleast you got some idea of what he's saying. I'm completely lost.
marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

[QUOTE="marcheegsr"]

Black_Knight_00

Crysis on PS3?

Yes. I know i know pc looks way better but you have to admit Crysis on ps3 especially 2-3 still has some amazing graphics

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="marcheegsr"]

marcheegsr

Crysis on PS3?

Yes. I know i know pc looks way better but you have to admit Crysis on ps3 especially 2-3 still has some amazing graphics

Crysis 1 holds up well on PS3, but a pity about so much aliasing. They should have settled for less detail and more antialiasing
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lazyathew

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

Lulu_Lulu

He seems to to think realistic graphics would blur the line between video games and movies too much. Although, like Tropic said, there are already games that look like CG Pixar movies and such. And movies will always lack that interactivivty.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

lazyathew

He seems to to think realistic graphics would blur the line between video games and movies too much. Although, like Tropic said, there are already games that look like CG Pixar movies and such. And movies will always lack that interactivivty.

Wow, how did he come to that conclusion ? Thats some twisted logic right there !
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

I don't think we are to that point yet. Maybe in 10 or 20 years.