Is there any way to make games that don't involve copious amounts of killing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 taiwwa
Member since 2012 • 301 Posts

Like, by the time you finish a typical Call of Duty game, you are a mini-genocidal maniac having killed hundreds of enemy soldiers.

Is there any way to make a shooter game that doesn't have you committing mass murder? I don't think any human being has ever killed more than say, 50 people in personal combat.

Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Borrizee
Member since 2012 • 428 Posts
That's one of the reasons I don't like shooters that much. Not because I don't want to kill people or have something against it but its just about shooting and little story or intensive gameplay to it. Shooters without killing? I don't think it's possible but games without killing for the killing they exist. Heavy rain,L.A. noire,Ico,...but it's a different type of gaming.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Play Crysis 2, you can play the whole game invisible and killing less than 10 enemies (most of which are scripted kills)
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Stealth Games like Dishonored, Tenchu, Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell often reward you for not killing anyone or only target persons. And in some of them, even killing target persons is optional.

MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 MaskedPlayer
Member since 2012 • 892 Posts

Play portal 1 and 2.

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

Deus Ex: HR.

You can play the whole game without killing anyone except bosses.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
I hate stealth games, unless the involve predator elements. Like Rocksteady's Batman and both Prototype games (yes, Prototype has the best stealth ever !).
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

in terms of shooters, you actually cannot kill anything in everyday shooter. it's really about the act of creation despite using the shooter genre as a base. the targets are so abstracted that it puts the focus on the theme rather than any immediate action.

can there be a war game without killing (or the ordering of killing like in a strategy game)? i still think abstraction would be key as this year we saw the revamped release of closure (not a shooter), which is a game about death except it features no killing. a change in design priorities would also work. i know there was a game in development where you play a combat reporter who obviously wouldn't take part in the fighting, but i haven't heard anything about it in a while. however, a game like this just wouldn't make a AAA release right now because more people want to shoot guns instead of pictures.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44147 Posts
Of course there is. There's been games made in the past, there are games here in the present, and there will be games made in the future that don't require copious amounts of killing.
taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 taiwwa

I guess the best answer is the stealth-action genre.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Justforvisit

I hate stealth games, unless the involve predator elements. Like Rocksteady's Batman and both Prototype games (yes, Prototype has the best stealth ever !).Lulekani

Well, if you want action without killing and hate stealth, games like Batman Arkham City as you mentioned or racing games would be the only ones coming to mind.

MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 MaskedPlayer
Member since 2012 • 892 Posts

[QUOTE="Lulekani"]I hate stealth games, unless the involve predator elements. Like Rocksteady's Batman and both Prototype games (yes, Prototype has the best stealth ever !).Justforvisit

Well, if you want action without killing and hate stealth, games like Batman Arkham City as you mentioned or racing games would be the only ones coming to mind.

Batman arkham city has alot of killing.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Justforvisit

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

[QUOTE="Lulekani"]I hate stealth games, unless the involve predator elements. Like Rocksteady's Batman and both Prototype games (yes, Prototype has the best stealth ever !).MaskedPlayer

Batman arkham city has alot of killing.

Oh really? Where?

taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 taiwwa
batman doesn't kill, but he's probably guilty of unintentional death (there's no follow-up on the people he beats up. they could have died later from injuries) It just feels like in shooter games, after a while the shooting just makes you numb. Because tehre's too much of it.
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Sure, there are a bunch of games that don't involve necessary killing.

Minecraft, Portal, Limbo are just a few of them.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I always find it a little funny myself that people love characters like Nathan Drake who are basically mass murdering psychopaths. I think Drakes body count by the end of his three games is north of 3000 people, and I am not exaggerating either i'm pretty sure you kill about 1000 people in each game. Suck on that Ted Bundy!
taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 taiwwa

I always find it a little funny myself that people love characters like Nathan Drake who are basically mass murdering psychopaths. I think Drakes body count by the end of his three games is north of 3000 people, and I am not exaggerating either i'm pretty sure you kill about 1000 people in each game. Suck on that Ted Bundy!GodModeEnabled

EXACTLY. I was definitely thinking about Nathan Drake.

LIke, he seems like a cool typical guy (def one of the better depictions in games) but then there are the bodies. Even the boss at the end of Uncharted 2 sorta makes a reference.

I dunno, it's like you need to establish some sort of gameplay, and like if Drake basically didn't fight until boss battles, then the player wouldn't know how to handle him in a gun fight.

Which might make it cooler? henchmen battles are almost always forgettable anyways. Maybe those games should only feature "boss" battles

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I always find it a little funny myself that people love characters like Nathan Drake who are basically mass murdering psychopaths. I think Drakes body count by the end of his three games is north of 3000 people, and I am not exaggerating either i'm pretty sure you kill about 1000 people in each game. Suck on that Ted Bundy!GodModeEnabled

I think the player has to suspend their disbelief to a degree in these situations. In the gameplay, yes, Drake kills thousands of enemies. Do I actually seriously take that into consideration as part of the story? Not really. There's a disconnect between story and actual gameplay, and I think that's why you get people who like Drake and characters like him. Now if Drake was mowing down characters during cutscenes of the story, I think that would be a different thing.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]I always find it a little funny myself that people love characters like Nathan Drake who are basically mass murdering psychopaths. I think Drakes body count by the end of his three games is north of 3000 people, and I am not exaggerating either i'm pretty sure you kill about 1000 people in each game. Suck on that Ted Bundy!Vari3ty

I think the player has to suspend their disbelief to a degree in these situations. In the gameplay, yes, Drake kills thousands of enemies. Do I actually seriously take that into consideration as part of the story? Not really. There's a disconnect between story and actual gameplay, and I think that's why you get people who like Drake and characters like him. Now if Drake was mowing down characters during cutscenes of the story, I think that would be a different thing.

that particular disconnect is only there because naughty dog didn't design the character to the gameplay. if kratos from god of war killed all those people, it would make perfect sense.
Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

Maybe those games should only feature "boss" battles

taiwwa

This kinda reminds me of Indiana Jones, and how he's portrayed as this bad-ass archeologist, when in reality the job is mostly paperwork and brushing of dirt to uncover a bone :)

I would think the reason for all the killing is because you need to be doing something constantly in a game to keep your interest. I don't know how well a game like Uncharted would work if you had to spend time reading, then driving to a location, exploring it, and finally leaving.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]I always find it a little funny myself that people love characters like Nathan Drake who are basically mass murdering psychopaths. I think Drakes body count by the end of his three games is north of 3000 people, and I am not exaggerating either i'm pretty sure you kill about 1000 people in each game. Suck on that Ted Bundy!Vari3ty

I agree to an extent that you have to have a certain disconnect to mix the gameplay and the story, and hell I love the Uncharted games, but in order for games to be taken more seriously I think they have to progress by bleeding the two together a little more. Like seeing a character dealing with the weight of so much death and violence, growing as a character, becoming either more broken down and bitter or maybe cold and detached... anything for fvck sakes. Nathan Drake is a smarmy jackass no matter what happens and that is the problem. 3000 dead by my hands but i'm rich beeeeotch!
taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 taiwwa

[QUOTE="taiwwa"]

Maybe those games should only feature "boss" battles

Grieverr

This kinda reminds me of Indiana Jones, and how he's portrayed as this bad-ass archeologist, when in reality the job is mostly paperwork and brushing of dirt to uncover a bone :)

I would think the reason for all the killing is because you need to be doing something constantly in a game to keep your interest. I don't know how well a game like Uncharted would work if you had to spend time reading, then driving to a location, exploring it, and finally leaving.

It would actually be pretty simple. Make it so that he has to stealth his way past them. I mean, each of the guys he kills is like some Serbian mercenary, right? Drake couldn't take on 1/2 of those guys if you're being consistent.

It would be more interesting if Drake had to figure out how to avoid them and find clever ways of escape, rather than just Rambo'ing his way through.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44147 Posts

Agreed. This is what I do for characters in games like this.
applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 applesxc47
Member since 2008 • 10761 Posts

Tetris is pretty good :P

TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
I love games like that! Unfortuantely the modern consumer likes mini genocide assaults. So if it sells, it's going to continue to be made. But games like harvest moon and Animal Crossing, Ico, Heavy Rain. They are lots more fun to me really xD
contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

But that wouldn't be considered murder now would it? Think about it, he kills pirates who try to kill him. He kills a private army working under a war criminal. He tends to kill those in his line of work. Not saying he never kills somebody he maybe shouldn't from time to time. But calling the character a massmurderer seems harsh.

Not like the guy is walking around pumping bullets into unarmed civilians and burning down villages.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Justforvisit

You can clearly play Uncharted so that you'll NEVER EVER fire the first shot ^^

So, actually, just self defense o.o

I mean, if you'd be shot at, wouldn't you fire back?

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#28 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Why would anyone want that?? Killing in games is fun, the more bloody the better.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

You can clearly play Uncharted so that you'll NEVER EVER fire the first shot ^^

So, actually, just self defense o.o

I mean, if you'd be shot at, wouldn't you fire back?

Justforvisit

While he does shoot before being shot at in plenty of areas, I do think there is enough context to justify it in my mind for a game like this. As I said he kills those in his line of work, working with or under criminals. Calling him a massmurderer and psychopath seems a bit harsh.

But at the same time I don't think everything within a game like this is meant to be taken literal, games do need to be a balancing act and even the best designed shooters will have this same issue. I just find it funny that the label massmurderer and psychopath is often thrown at Uncharted but not other video game series. But then again the greatness that is Uncharted has always caused butthurt the world over. :P

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
Mirror's Edge. You can go through that game without killing anyone.