Is there any social stigma against gamers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

Hi guys, so I've just entered college and everyone is really old and mature (except for the freshmen obviously).

The thing is besides me there was this guy watching a LoL or Dota video (wasn't paying too much attention) on his tablet and laughing about what the gamers were saying in the video. People already started to make fun of him because of that. I didn't get it obviously, because I like to play games aswell (not to the point of watching videos in class, but to each his own) so if the guy likes his games it's his business.

Is it there a social stigma already that gamers are from the beggining labeled as losers, nerds and no-lifers?

1st thread was locked on OT because we can't talk about gaming there. 2nd thread was locked on SW due to my level.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
people still believe games cause violence. Take that however you want
Pyrex_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pyrex_Jay
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Many people ( Including my girlfriend ) think Video Games are for kids or children. So If your older & playing video games they assume you are immature. To me i believe these ppl don't know anything about video games or arent interested so they label ppl.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Yes, there most definitely is. I pulled a 3DS out in the internet cafe while my friend from Chemistry was practicing Chinese and she asked how old I was. My videogame hobby isn't something that I really like to share with others openly, not at first at least, and I will admit I have a certain amount of prejudice and preconceived notions against the annoyingly loud bombastic gamers who frequent the internet cafe and shout things across the room.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I'd be inclined to agree that there is. I also don't share my appreciation for video games initially, in most cases. Most of the time when I let someone know, I'm immediately met with a frown, puzzled look and the all-too common "You're how old and you're still playing those things?"

Conicidentally, I started classes earlier this year. One of my first courses was a Speech/Communication course, and the first assignment in said course was to prepare a speech about the qualities of successful people. I remember a young lady presenting, and during her speech, she happened to provide this example: "... like lazy people who play videogames all day, and never accomplish anything." Of course, me being an avid videogame player, my first thought upon hearing this was "Oh, come on this again?"

So anyway, the time comes for me to present, and sure enough, I get up there and deliver. We get our results back later, and I happen to score the best result on the assignment in my class. The professor asks me to give my peers advice, and while I'm doing so, a guy says "You must spend all your time at the library", to which I reply, "Actually no, I only spent a few hours there yesterday. I play a ton of video games in my free time."

...The resulting expression on that young lady's face after I said that was all kinds of satsifying. That's right. The "lazy" gamer produced the best result. 

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Maybe but I haven't really experienced any kind of harassment or negative comments.

At work it's kind of the opposite, if you don't play video games or watch sports heavily you're left out of a lot of conversations.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Minishdriveby

I'd be inclined to agree that there is. I also don't share my appreciation for video games initially, in most cases. Most of the time when I let someone know, I'm immediately met with a frown, puzzled look and the all-too common "You're how old and you're still playing those things?"

Conicidentally, I started classes earlier this year. One of my first courses was a Speech/Communication course, and the first assignment in said course was to prepare a speech about the qualities of successful people. I remember a young lady presenting, and during her speech, she happened to provide this example: "... like lazy people who play videogames all day, and never accomplish anything." Of course, me being an avid videogame player, my first thought upon hearing this was "Oh, come on this again?"

So anyway, the time comes for me to present, and sure enough, I get up there and deliver. We get our results back later, and I happen to score the best result on the assignment in my class. The professor asks me to give my peers advice, and while I'm doing so, a guy says "You must spend all your time at the library", to which I reply, "Actually no, I only spent a few hours there yesterday. I play a ton of video games in my free time."

...The resulting expression on that young lady's face after I said that was all kinds of satsifying. That's right. The "lazy" gamer produced the best result. 

gpuFX16
That's great man.
danten81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 danten81
Member since 2013 • 328 Posts
Since it has a large young audience, it is commonly viewed as a juvenile hobby. Some people(usually baby boomers) don't know how widespread this medium is. There are so many genres(Action/Adventure, FPS, TPS, Pnc Adventure, Sports, TBS, RTS, Fighting, Simulations of all types, etc.) for many different types of people.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If there's higher priorities (eg work, family, studies, etc) ahead still, sure. I put them ahead of gaming as do my wife and my friends. Once I have a measurement of accomplishment in those priorities, then, I can indulge in some gaming. I'm gaming a lot more now than when I was single. That said, I didn't give up gaming totally back then. I still gamed some. If someone thought it was silly? F-em. 

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Nah I think its seen as kinda chic to be a geek nowadays and gaming is a part of that.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Depends a lot on where you live too. In a farming country community like my neighborhood, definitely.
danten81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 danten81
Member since 2013 • 328 Posts
Depends a lot on where you live too. In a farming country community like my neighborhood, definitely.guynamedbilly
Simple folk always fear the tech-savvy.
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

And there's that new overly dramatic truck commercial (i think it's John Cusack narrating) about the father who uses his new truck to pry his kid away from his "computer games" (which is apparently all the kid ever does...and seriously, who says "computer games?") to go outside somewhere. And, lo and behold, to the kid's suprise he enjoys being outside.

Just shake your head and move on. In 32 years, I've never met a person fit to judge anyone else for how they spend their free time.

But people are stupid about it right now, and I wouldn't put it on a resume or anything, but in social situations, be free with it. If someone takes issue, you don't want to know them, anyway.

Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

Things I hate about the media or other social others that hate on videogames

1. Media news thinks we all turn into killers and thieves when there's a new Grand Theft Auto game. 

2. When an adult is playing a handheld and minding his/her own business, they get picked on for playing a videogame handheld in public

3. Media thinks we're all a bunch of fat stinky slobs playing World of Warcraft or some other online game

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu
Stop Right There !

Before we all start playing the victim, I'd like to remind everyone that this medium is full of childish assholes ! They make up a large portian of the industry ! Honestly, I don't blame the media. I blame you, ALL OF YOU !

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Minishdriveby
Stop Right There !

Before we all start playing the victim, I'd like to remind everyone that this medium is full of childish assholes ! They make up a large portian of the industry ! Honestly, I don't blame the media. I blame you, ALL OF YOU !

Lulu_Lulu
It's a little bit of a mix. Of course, saying everyone is a childish asshole is a sweeping generalization, but I've seen, first hand, College kids throwing tantrums because they couldn't beat a level. The loud, obnoxious, immature kids are the ones I try to avoid, not just the 'gamers' but those types of people in general.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]Stop Right There !

Minishdriveby
It's a little bit of a mix. Of course, saying everyone is a childish asshole is a sweeping generalization, but I've seen, first hand, College kids throwing tantrums because they couldn't beat a level. The loud, obnoxious, immature kids are the ones I try to avoid, not just the 'gamers' but those types of people in general.

Ofcourse I'm making a rash generalisation ! If thats what it takes then I'm more than happy to lump you with all those bastards on Xbox live. Except me ofcourse, I'm a model citizen ! :D
iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

Yes the silly belief that games cuase violience

that gamers are misogynistic

that gamers are fat and nerdy

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17699 Posts

Yes there is, and I honestly can't blame those who take the view.  Listen in on any CoD online match.  But then again, there's assholes in every medium that brings out stigmas/sterotypes in it.  I just keep my gaming to myself mostly.  I usually don't bring it up as a topic of discussion when first meeting people, and only then talk about it with them if they direct the conversation that way.

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

Yes the silly belief that games cuase violience

that gamers are misogynistic

that gamers are fat and nerdy

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]Stop Right There !

Lulu_Lulu

Ofcourse I'm making a rash generalisation ! If thats what it takes then I'm more than happy to lump you with all those bastards on Xbox live. Except me ofcourse, I'm a model citizen ! :D

You haven't even brought up any reasons why you think so.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I see people of all ages in gaming stores from all walks of life, both male and female, buying games and you can tell it's not always for their kids but for themselves. Honestly there should be a social stigma aginst people who watch reality tv shows.

Every reality tv show I've seen showcases self entitled bimbos and derp jocks making an ass of themselves over silly shit. At least a good video game can stimulate a healthy debate, diverse viewpoints or an open interpretation.

What can you get from watching dumb shit like Love and Hip Hop, Jersey Shore or The Real Housewives other than, 'that chic got some tig ol bitties'. Lol, anyone calling a gaming a nerd or a loser or thinks gaming is for kids, usually is a shallow person which not much intellect to offer when you get them in a one on one conversation.

Whoever has a dismissive view about gaming, I say duck em and keep doing what you enjoy so as long as it doesn't intervene with your priorities.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"] It's a little bit of a mix. Of course, saying everyone is a childish asshole is a sweeping generalization, but I've seen, first hand, College kids throwing tantrums because they couldn't beat a level. The loud, obnoxious, immature kids are the ones I try to avoid, not just the 'gamers' but those types of people in general.whiskeystrike

You haven't even brought up any reasons why you think so.

and yet I'm right ! I don't need proof or examples, you know just aswell as I do that this industry is an a sad, ill mannerd state. Why do you want me to prove something (that I know) you know is true ? Am I on record ? Is this an official investigation ?
svm128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 svm128
Member since 2007 • 376 Posts

gpuFX16
Haha, Thats great!
dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

Hi guys, so I've just entered college and everyone is really old and mature (except for the freshmen obviously).

The thing is besides me there was this guy watching a LoL or Dota video (wasn't paying too much attention) on his tablet and laughing about what the gamers were saying in the video. People already started to make fun of him because of that. I didn't get it obviously, because I like to play games aswell (not to the point of watching videos in class, but to each his own) so if the guy likes his games it's his business.

Is it there a social stigma already that gamers are from the beggining labeled as losers, nerds and no-lifers?

1st thread was locked on OT because we can't talk about gaming there. 2nd thread was locked on SW due to my level.

Tqricardinho
No, not really. Gaming has gotten pretty mainstream now. For that specific guy, I can see how it can warrant unwanted attention. He's suppose to be in class, instead he's watching that video, then starts laughing out loud, drawing attention to himself, and its distracting to the other students.
Duck_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 Duck_Zero
Member since 2007 • 57 Posts

I dunno how it is in America, but in Norway, yes, there's definitely some stigma in regards to gamers and video games in general.

Of course, some people are more understanding. But then again, there's people who look down on movie buffs, or even people who like to read (I dunno how many times in my life I've been called a film nerd, or a bookwork, just 'cus I love movies and books). But, hey, what're you gonna do?

Most of the people I surround myself with, don't play video games, but they can at least understand part of the appeal. That's really all that matters. I honestly don't care if people look down on "gamers" or not; I'll keep loving what I love regardless ;)

Duck_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Duck_Zero

I dunno how it is in America, but in Norway, yes, there's definitely some stigma in regards to gamers and video games in general.

Of course, some people are more understanding. But then again, there's people who look down on movie buffs, or even people who like to read (I dunno how many times in my life I've been called a film nerd, or a bookwork, just 'cus I love movies and books). But, hey, what're you gonna do?

Most of the people I surround myself with, don't play video games, but they can at least understand part of the appeal. That's really all that matters. I honestly don't care if people look down on "gamers" or not; I'll keep loving what I love regardless ;)

Duck_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Duck_Zero

Duck_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Duck_Zero

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#32 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Duck_Zero
i have gotten same impression about that aswell here in Norway. People like to look down on gamers here
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

There's stereotypes for sure.  But it's up to the person to prove them wrong.

When people in high school years ago saw me play Yu-Gi-Oh on the cafeteria table, they made their assumptions, but once they got to know me, they saw I was the opposite of the neckbeard basement dweller stereotype.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Those stupid people really have to shut up. I mean life is a video game and those fu*king people have no problem playing the shit out of it. Why can't they just give us the genuinely hearted gamers a FU*KING BRAKE ???!! :x!

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Those stupid people really have to shut up. I mean life is a video game and those fu*king people have no problem playing the shit out of it. Why can't they just give us the genuinely hearted gamers a FU*KING BRAKE ???!! :x!

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ish_basic

Stop Right There !

Lulu_Lulu

I know you're being your typical satirical self, but you could say the same of sports fans. Anywhere you combine competitiveness and anonymity, expect the worst in humanity. But this is also a case of stupid people being louder and making themselves seem the majority when in fact they aren't.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lulu_Lulu

Ish_basic

I know you're being your typical satirical self, but you could say the same of sports fans. Anywhere you combine competitiveness and anonymity, expect the worst in humanity. But this is also a case of stupid people being louder and making themselves seem the majority when in fact they aren't.

Gamers are terrible creatures, feel free to stick your fingers in your ears and say otherwise. Yes Ive got the ratio all wrong but nobody's got the right to play the victim, not until this sh!t is dealt with.
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ish_basic

[QUOTE="Ish_basic"]

Lulu_Lulu

Gamers are terrible creatures, feel free to stick your fingers in your ears and say otherwise. Yes Ive got the ratio all wrong but nobody's got the right to play the victim, not until this sh!t is dealt with.

And nobody's got the right to pass judgement on a demographic that is so loosely affiliated over the actions of an obnoxious minority. Especially when these kind of people are found in any population.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="Ish_basic"]

Ish_basic

And nobody's got the right to pass judgement on a demographic that is so loosely affiliated over the actions of an obnoxious minority. Especially when these kind of people are found in any population.

Let the sports fans deal with their own assholes. You saying we should not try as hard beause the others are just as bad ? F#ck that, I'l be doin what I can to make this medium I enjoy less of a jerk magnet clusterf#ck. What about you ? What are you doing to help ?
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ish_basic

[QUOTE="Ish_basic"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] Gamers are terrible creatures, feel free to stick your fingers in your ears and say otherwise. Yes Ive got the ratio all wrong but nobody's got the right to play the victim, not until this sh!t is dealt with.Lulu_Lulu

Let the sports fans deal with their own assholes. You saying we should not try as hard beause the others are just as bad ? F#ck that, I'l be doin what I can to make this medium I enjoy less of a jerk magnet clusterf#ck. What about you ? What are you doing to help ?

Nothing. People have the right to be assholes. And I don't want anyone getting the idea they can cure assholism, as I would rather not live in a real life version of San Angeles. I just get on my mic, find like minded gamers and game exclusively with them. It's not that hard.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#41 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Games are thought of as a waste of time by some. They are also thought of as toys primarily for children. Major news aside, I do not see much coverage of the bad guys on multiplayer games besides within the video gaming community.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#42 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Games are thought of as a waste of time by some. They are also thought of as toys primarily for children. Major news aside, I do not see much coverage of the bad guys on multiplayer games besides within the video gaming community.